Couple old cows

Help Support CattleToday:

We run our cows in a low input system. We figure one bale of hay per cow. In a normal year we will have some left. We creep very little except on fall calves. We expect a cow to raise an 700 lb steer at 6-7 months. On grass with limited inputs. We select for efficiency. We expect our cows to graze surplus grass in the winter. Our forages are of poor quality. So a cow needs to be a high volume cow that can consume enough of poor forage to raise a calf, breed back on time and maintain condition. Our market desires a 6.0 frame animal. Our goal is a 6.0 frame, 1,400-1,500 lb cow that is efficient and has enough milk to raise a 700 lb steer at 6-7 months with no creep. IMO a 6.0 frame cow isn't framey. It is hard too find a quality polled or Angus with a 6 frame and heavy muscle. I can find horned bulls that fit my criteria. Too many have went smaller than many commercial breeders and their market desires.
What state are you in? I suspect north if you're running that size animals.

Well maybe things have changed. In NW Arkansas we ran 1200 pound cows but up north we ran them a couple of hundred+ pounds bigger.

It varies with each breeder, their type of forages, management practices, terrain and market. Ours requires a high volume cow. The barn owners I've talked to in the past have stated the average cow weight would be in the 1,350-1,400 lb range. The smaller framed cattle 5,0 frame and under are docked. We want to wean a 700 lb steer. Hard to do with an 1,100 lb cow. No one type or size works best everywhere. The low growth short cattle don't work for us. Y selecting for efficiency we can maintain size and weight and cut maintenance costs by up to 25%.

@elkwc I totally agree with you. I'm definitely in North country and my cows run at least 100 - 150# heavier, but same principle. I tell everyone, you need to be able to fit a 50 gal drum inside a cow. She has to have enough capacity to milk heavy, breed on time, raise a big calf....strictly on roughage.
Heck, I barely feed my show string grain....compared to my competition.

@elkwc I totally agree with you. I'm definitely in North country and my cows run at least 100 - 150# heavier, but same principle. I tell everyone, you need to be able to fit a 50 gal drum inside a cow. She has to have enough capacity to milk heavy, breed on time, raise a big calf....strictly on roughage.
Heck, I barely feed my show string grain....compared to my competition.

Jeanne very well stated. Many don't understand the need for a deep wide cow. They don't understand the need for more volume. Many feel if a cow is short and light weight she is automatically more efficient and will make more money. They don't understand a cow has to fit the environment and management system they are in. Also their progeny need to fit the need of a breeders market. No one type or size works best everywhere. If I select a 5.0 frame cow of the type I need she will weigh close to what our 6 frame cows do.

Absolutely. My cows run 2-3 frame sizes smaller than my old herd (80-90's) - but weigh the same. Without the natural volume, a cow can't eat enough ROUGHAGE while she is carrying a 3rd term pregnancy. To make a good cow, they don't have to be pretty, just have good wheels and great volume. (mine are kinda pretty too!! LOL)

Latest posts