Bull for Brangus Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I am in North Florida, gets really hot. I prefer angus cows to Brangus, I have both. The Angus tend to breed back sooner than the Brangus. Heat doesn't seem to bother them.
I have heard people say that their black cows just lay in the shade or the pond during the day and won't eat. They think that blacks wont gain as well when it is hot, or that a black bull won't get busy with the cows and heifers when it is hot. I never cared if one wanted to lay in the shade or water from mid -morning til late afternoon....they can eat and/or breed all night long. I tended to do the same thing myself, and no one ever called me skinny! LOL

For the last 10-12 yrs we've ran Angus based cows with Hereford bulls and had really good luck with getting good calf prices. This year we are moving from a primarily Angus based herd to more Brangus based. I've bought 2 Brangus bulls and am needing 2 more. My question is will Brangus x Brangus give the calves too much Brahman influence to sell good? I'm thinking about buying 2 Angus bulls to go with the 2 Brangus but am unsure. The reason for the change has to do with heat tolerance and just looking to try something new. We would also like to sell HB heifers in the fall at it seems Angus heifers are super easy to find while good Brangus heifers are harder to come by and bring a touch more in this area. All opinions welcome, thanks.
Angus X brangus makes super cows tames them down too. adds more meat too .

Latest posts