Brangus calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I am a long ways from you and have a different market. But from those pictures those calves sure won't ring the bell.

I am a long ways from you and have a different market. But from those pictures those calves sure won't ring the bell.
Alive on the hoof and not marked up super crazy or sporting flashy headgear will make some amount of money here with the way the market is right now. I talked to a guy the other day who is part of a roping and rodeo stock outfit and their buyers they work with at the sale barns aren't even able to get a roping heifer for under $700 right now. Couldn't tell you how long it will last.

I figured I would start a new thread.
We went to see the calves today and I am not seeing angus in them at all. What do you guys think? The bull looks brangus but the mommas?

The black one and the one with the horns are the mommas…I am not seeing angus, I definitely see Brahma though!

Thoughts..
Walk away! My two cents

I figured I would start a new thread.
We went to see the calves today and I am not seeing angus in them at all. What do you guys think? The bull looks brangus but the mommas?

The black one and the one with the horns are the mommas…I am not seeing angus, I definitely see Brahma though!

Thoughts..

They look like rodeo stock to me... Nothing I would retain as breeders just because they aren't my type of cattle.

But the price is right (?) so I'd buy them to resell at some point. Some people like cattle like that. This is how you learn.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking,the bull maybe brangus but those mommas are not angus…. He's asking $500 a piece..
At $500.00 each if you have plenty of grass I don't see how you can loose. In Florida we would say that the bull is a braford cross. The calves definitely have some Brahma influence which is a good thing. They have just enough to not hurt them but enough to make them grow.

They look like rodeo stock to me... Nothing I would retain as breeders just because they aren't my type of cattle.

But the price is right (?) so I'd buy them to resell at some point. Some people like cattle like that. This is how you learn.
Those aren't my type of cattle either...but if they're on 5.5 acres (not good) and the owner is selling them for $500. cause he has no method of transport...I'd do a packaged deal for as many as I can get....and haul them directly to the sale barn. I say as many as i can get cause i bet you there's no corral or loading center...Hopefully i could cattle cube coax them inside the trailer. They're probably $500. cause there's no infrasturcture or enough land.

That bull is NOT a Brangus. No Brangus blood in him or he would be polled. Looks like a Plummer bull to me. One cow has some brahma blood the Btown Swiss colored one. Is tha you behind her? That one black cow has small horns, too. Still, a 6 mos old weaned calf is worth $500 easy. YThe ones in pics 2, 4, and 6 are decent enough looking calves. Is the owner telling you these cows, calves and the bull are Brangus?!!

I have been a registered Brangus breeder for 51 years. A Brangus is a 5/8 angus and a 3/8 braham. no other cominabion is a true brangus. they are polled and all black behind the navel to be registered. If they have scures they cannot show in brangus shows. They do cross well with herefords which gives you a 3 way cross and are called optinnizer thru the brangus association

Those aren't my type of cattle either...but if they're on 5.5 acres (not good) and the owner is selling them for $500. cause he has no method of transport...I'd do a packaged deal for as many as I can get....and haul them directly to the sale barn. I say as many as i can get cause i bet you there's no corral or loading center...Hopefully i could cattle cube coax them inside the trailer. They're probably $500. cause there's no infrasturcture or enough land.
You are right this guy does not have any kind of corral, or runs so he can load his cattle.. I think he uses grain in the bucket, shake method… :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have been a registered Brangus breeder for 51 years. A Brangus is a 5/8 angus and a 3/8 braham. no other cominabion is a true brangus. they are polled and all black behind the navel to be registered. If they have scures they cannot show in brangus shows. They do cross well with herefords which gives you a 3 way cross and are called optinnizer thru the brangus association
What is scures?

You said that you are in Northeast Okla. That has got to be close to where eared cattle get discounted. The further north you go the higher the discount is. Here in eastern Oregon the discount would be huge. A person would be lucky to get 50% of what #1 calves are bringing.

Latest posts