Bull for Brangus Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
For the last 10-12 yrs we've ran Angus based cows with Hereford bulls and had really good luck with getting good calf prices. This year we are moving from a primarily Angus based herd to more Brangus based. I've bought 2 Brangus bulls and am needing 2 more. My question is will Brangus x Brangus give the calves too much Brahman influence to sell good? I'm thinking about buying 2 Angus bulls to go with the 2 Brangus but am unsure. The reason for the change has to do with heat tolerance and just looking to try something new. We would also like to sell HB heifers in the fall at it seems Angus heifers are super easy to find while good Brangus heifers are harder to come by and bring a touch more in this area. All opinions welcome, thanks.

For the last 10-12 yrs we've ran Angus based cows with Hereford bulls and had really good luck with getting good calf prices. This year we are moving from a primarily Angus based herd to more Brangus based. I've bought 2 Brangus bulls and am needing 2 more. My question is will Brangus x Brangus give the calves too much Brahman influence to sell good? I'm thinking about buying 2 Angus bulls to go with the 2 Brangus but am unsure. The reason for the change has to do with heat tolerance and just looking to try something new. We would also like to sell HB heifers in the fall at it seems Angus heifers are super easy to find while good Brangus heifers are harder to come by and bring a touch more in this area. All opinions welcome, thanks.
There's your answer. The Brangus heifers bring more. Here, Brangus and Angus steers sell for the same price.

Not all Brangus are the same. There are ones that show a lot of Brahman influence and ones that look more Angus. The cleaner they are the more expensive they are.

I like your idea of 2 and 2... especially if you had an option to split the herd during breeding season based off of how Brahman they look.

An Angus bull over Brangus cows can still produce some very hardy cows. That is enough ear to see the benefits but not take a beating at the sale.

Not all Brangus are the same. There are ones that show a lot of Brahman influence and ones that look more Angus. The cleaner they are the more expensive they are.

I like your idea of 2 and 2... especially if you had an option to split the herd during breeding season based off of how Brahman they look.

An Angus bull over Brangus cows can still produce some very hardy cows. That is enough ear to see the benefits but not take a beating at the sale.
I noticed this with the last Brangus bull I bought this past spring. I went to look at a local breeders bulls and he probably had 15 or so 2 yo Brangus bulls. They ranged from a ton of leather to very little leather. I ended up buying one with allot of leather. Still not sure I like him but I was in a pinch and needed a bull bad. I may buy 2 cleaner Brangus bulls. Angus are sure easier to find though.

Same here. I use to have a good Brangus guy but they are not longer around. Last year I drove all over for 2 days looking at Brangus Bulls and could not pull the trigger. I have a good source for Angus right now so I'm sticking with it.

Is buying more Brangus cows or even F1 Brangus and option? If you had a small group it would be a way to inject some more ear in to replacements with out having to change up bulls.

Brangus that don't look like Brangus. I have noticed the same thing with some Simbrahs in the last 10 years or so. Less skin, cleaner looking, less sheath and navel. Pedigrees that still show the same breed composition. I assume this is by selection. Select animals that "look" to have less ear. I wonder if they are giving up the advantages of ear cattle by those selections. I always thought that the loose skin and big ears were part of the ability to tolerate heat and insects. Do these "new style" ear cattle retain the advantages?

Same here. I use to have a good Brangus guy but they are not longer around. Last year I drove all over for 2 days looking at Brangus Bulls and could not pull the trigger. I have a good source for Angus right now so I'm sticking with it.

Is buying more Brangus cows or even F1 Brangus and option? If you had a small group it would be a way to inject some more ear in to replacements with out having to change up bulls.
I've been trying to buy 20 true Brangus heifers for about a month now. Everything I find is more Angus plus type. Finally found a guy in Cotulla,Tx that had a nice group for sale. I bought 20 that should calve in February but haven't picked them up yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 16
I've been trying to buy 20 true Brangus heifers for about a month now. Everything I find is more Angus plus type. Finally found a guy in Cotulla,Tx that had a nice group for sale. I bought 20 that should calve in February but haven't picked them up yet.
Random idea, but the Texas A&M beef herd sells weaned heifers from time to time-commercial brangus composite type. We've been very happy with the ones we got 7 years ago…

I had a Hereford bull on the Brangus I managed to keep after 2010-11. Don't think you could go wrong going that way either.

Brute is right about the variances in the Brangus. The ones I had/have were pieced together over time. That shows up on the f2's.

Last edited:
Those are nice. A good Angus will sure bring home the bacon on them. 😄

With the heat in the South, I'm surprised Angus cattle are popular??
Jeanne, Angus are being used very successfully in Northern and Central Australia in very hot and hard areas on eared cattle. Easy shedding and slick coats are the main thing they look out for. With the live export market being a bit shaky of late they are looking to having options to market the cattle locally. These are big operations often well over 10,000 females and land measured in square kilometers.

Ken

Brangus that don't look like Brangus. I have noticed the same thing with some Simbrahs in the last 10 years or so. Less skin, cleaner looking, less sheath and navel. Pedigrees that still show the same breed composition. I assume this is by selection. Select animals that "look" to have less ear. I wonder if they are giving up the advantages of ear cattle by those selections. I always thought that the loose skin and big ears were part of the ability to tolerate heat and insects. Do these "new style" ear cattle retain the advantages?
Well, people call any black cattle with bos-indicus influence, Brangus. Might be a black Simm- Gyr cross, but they gonna call it Brangus. For 40 years, until last year, there was the Salacoa Valley ranch located 15 minutes from me. The 3rd or 4th largest Brangus operation in existence, depending on the year. When it sold to 2 other breeders last year, they had 1300 registered Brangus cows. They were all consistent in appearance....same body type, same ear, same leather. They looked the same when they dispersed them as they did 10, 20, 30 years ago. The Brangus association books have been closed for decades now. I think...not sure, but will look it up...that you can no longer breed reg Angus and reg American Brahman, to get the 5/8ths-3/8ths cross, and reg it as Brangus. The loose skin and ears on the Brama-cross cattle do help with heat for sure, of Chi bulls to my trading partner in Mexico, who sells them in Central and South America. but Brangus and others Brama-influenced breeds don't have the oil secretions that Brahma does, that is the insect repellant, Only other breed that does is Chiania. I have sent a lot to my trading partner in Mexico, who ships them to Central and South America. I have noticed that Chi-Angus, even those with high-percentage Chiania, are no more insect tolerant than Angus or Brangus, though.

Latest posts