Horned Brahman Bull on Registered Angus Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

If you are using registered cows, homo for polled and black, all your calves will be black and polled.
Thank you. We are new to the registered market and taking it slow. Is there any indication on the registered paperwork/angus website itself that would elude to the polled gene, or would we need to search through the sire's and dam's lines of the cows?

Thank you. We are new to the registered market and taking it slow. Is there any indication on the registered paperwork/angus website itself that would elude to the polled gene, or would we need to search through the sire's and dam's lines of the cows?
I haven't looked at a set of papers in a while., but these days you won't hardly find a registered black angus that isn't homo for both. I don't think there has ever been a registered Angus that wasn't polled, though. There is an exceptional Angus breeder from Florida on this board, @gizmom . I am sure she knows all about reading AAA papers.

I think that horn gene don't play by the rules.
Some other folks will be along tho...
Screenshot_20231114_160607_Chrome.jpg
I know from running a polled Brahman bull it did not dominate. Not sure how it would work in this exact situation but yes, they do not follow the same rules.

I haven't looked at a set of papers in a while., but these days you won't hardly find a registered black angus that isn't homo for both. I don't think there has ever been a registered Angus that wasn't polled, though. There is an exceptional Angus breeder from Florida on this board, @gizmom . I am sure she knows all about reading AAA papers.
I partially agree with you. I haven't bought any registered Angus in a while so correct me if I am wrong. But im not sure i have ever seen homozygous black or polled on Angus papers. Most other breeds yes.

View attachment 37016
I know from running a polled Brahman bull it did not dominate. Not sure how it would work in this exact situation but yes, they do not follow the same rules.
The OP is running a horned Brahma bull on reg Angus cattle, and polled is dominant in Angus. The info you posted is about a polled Brahma bull. Most Brahma bulls I have used, or got semen from, were polled, and never had a horned calf, but they were always bred to polled cattle. We bred Zeke's Jeresy, Gail, to a polled red Brahma bull hoping for a polled calf. Considering this info you shared, we might not get a polled calf. The Jersey was born with horns. so she is homozygous horned. We might end up with a horned calf, after reading this. The other three may have horned ones too. The Brown Swiss /Jersey had been dehorned, and so had the Guernsey/Jersey. The Herford/Guernsey is polled, but is most likely hetero for polled. The Jersey will calve in about 4 weeks, and the rest are due end of Feb, 1st of March. I guess we will see then.

The OP is running a horned Brahma bull on reg Angus cattle, and polled is dominant in Angus. The info you posted is about a polled Brahma bull. Most Brahma bulls I have used, or got semen from, were polled, and never had a horned calf, but they were always bred to polled cattle. We bred Zeke's Jeresy, Gail, to a polled red Brahma bull hoping for a polled calf. Considering this info you shared, we might not get a polled calf. The Jersey was born with horns. so she is homozygous horned. We might end up with a horned calf, after reading this. The other three may have horned ones too. The Brown Swiss /Jersey had been dehorned, and so had the Guernsey/Jersey. The Herford/Guernsey is polled, but is most likely hetero for polled. The Jersey will calve in about 4 weeks, and the rest are due end of Feb, 1st of March. I guess we will see then.

The black and the lack of horns in Angus do not always dominate over every breed.

What is the chance that the calves will be horned?
Breeding brahma X angus is Brangus to start keep breeding that way and u get 5/8 angus and 3/8 brangus. ur better off to buy a brangus cow to start with first bramer cross can get perty rank. if it was me id breed brangus cow to angus bull at least once. Tame them down makes good cows.

Latest posts