Brangus calves

Help Support CattleToday:

bscattle

Reaction score
I figured I would start a new thread.
We went to see the calves today and I am not seeing angus in them at all. What do you guys think? The bull looks brangus but the mommas?

The black one and the one with the horns are the mommas…I am not seeing angus, I definitely see Brahma though!

Thoughts..

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0651.jpeg
    IMG_0651.jpeg
    769 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0647.jpeg
    IMG_0647.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0649.jpeg
    IMG_0649.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48
There is nothing Brangus about anything in those pics. That's a crossbred bull bred to crossbred cows.

It's not a bad thing just understand what you are getting. You don't want to build a game plan based on those being Brangus calves or try to pitch them down the road as Brangus.

Is that price right now at that age?

That's what I was thinking,the bull maybe brangus but those mommas are not angus…. He's asking $500 a piece..
That bull is NOT a Brangus. No Brangus blood in him or he would be polled. Looks like a Plummer bull to me. One cow has some brahma blood the Btown Swiss colored one. Is tha you behind her? That one black cow has small horns, too. Still, a 6 mos old weaned calf is worth $500 easy. YThe ones in pics 2, 4, and 6 are decent enough looking calves. Is the owner telling you these cows, calves and the bull are Brangus?!!

That bull is NOT a Brangus. No Brangus blood in him or he would be polled. Looks like a Plummer bull to me. One cow has some brahma blood the Btown Swiss colored one. Is tha you behind her? That one black cow has small horns, too. Still, a 6 mos old weaned calf is worth $500 easy. YThe ones in pics 2, 4, and 6 are decent enough looking calves. Is the owner telling you these cows, calves and the bull are Brangus?!!
No that is not me.
That one in the last picture is a steer - and he does look like he brahma blood in him, I agree.
I am not sure that the people we are talking too are very knowledgeable about cattle...
This evening he told us that his cattle (brangus) will eat bark off the trees, they will eat low branches off of trees - his pasture is eaten down - he says that he has all his cattle on about 5 to 5 1/2 acres and in my opinion they need to be rotated off -

My boyfriend wants to get at least the bull calf - but I am not sure if these calves are a heinz 57 mix, will they sale at the sale barn? Say we did take the bull calf and the 2 heifers we take them home and put 2 to 300 lbs on them like you suggested - take them to the sale barn - will we get money out of them?

I am tempted to go to the sale barns and possible get a couple of bred cow/calf and do it that way...
I have been paying more attention to what breeds of cattle that people have around here - the people down the street from of look like they have a bucking bull type - cows that have the horns like what I pictured above - he's got some very cute calves on the ground right now. I should stop and take some pictures - BUT
The most of the breeds I see around here are - herefords, black/red angus, charlois (sp) -
The people that are on the corner across from where I keep my horses have a big solid black bull he's huge in with a couple of holstein cows...

There is one lone white brahma bull that we see on our way to work, and we have watched him grow - he's all by himself but I think he can go out into their back pasture and I think they have some horses and miniature donkey...

No that is not me.
That one in the last picture is a steer - and he does look like he brahma blood in him, I agree.
I am not sure that the people we are talking too are very knowledgeable about cattle...
This evening he told us that his cattle (brangus) will eat bark off the trees, they will eat low branches off of trees - his pasture is eaten down - he says that he has all his cattle on about 5 to 5 1/2 acres and in my opinion they need to be rotated off -

My boyfriend wants to get at least the bull calf - but I am not sure if these calves are a heinz 57 mix, will they sale at the sale barn? Say we did take the bull calf and the 2 heifers we take them home and put 2 to 300 lbs on them like you suggested - take them to the sale barn - will we get money out of them?

I am tempted to go to the sale barns and possible get a couple of bred cow/calf and do it that way...
I have been paying more attention to what breeds of cattle that people have around here - the people down the street from of look like they have a bucking bull type - cows that have the horns like what I pictured above - he's got some very cute calves on the ground right now. I should stop and take some pictures - BUT
The most of the breeds I see around here are - herefords, black/red angus, charlois (sp) -
The people that are on the corner across from where I keep my horses have a big solid black bull he's huge in with a couple of holstein cows...

There is one lone white brahma bull that we see on our way to work, and we have watched him grow - he's all by himself but I think he can go out into their back pasture and I think they have some horses and miniature donkey...
The way the barn is right now, most will make money if you get them for the right price.

People shipwrecked on an island with no food, have been known to boil leather shoes and try to eat that when they are starving to death. That's about when cows will eat bark, limbs, etc. Right now, I'd say you know a lot more about cattle than these people do.
How old are these calves now? Yes, they will sell. And for more money than you will pay for them. Personally, at weaning I would buy them and just carry them straight to the sale. You will double your money on them right then. I wouldn't take them to my place, especially if that bull calf is still a buil when you bought it. I have said make the owners steer him before you buy him, but given what I have seen and the things you said about them, I doubt they know how and wouldn't trust them to do it right. Sell them and take the money and buy a heavy bred beef cow. Might can even buy two with that money. Or put a little with it and buy two. Buy them 6,7.8 months bred, and sell lhem as pairs when the calf is 3-4 months old.

YES!!!!
That one you said might have Corriente in her? Might, but looks more like she has Longhorn blood. Longhorn and Brahman crosses are common for bucking stock, or to use to breed for bucking stock. Cows like these when bred to an Angus or some other homozygous for polled and black bull....black Simm, SimmAngus, Brangus ......can produce calves for you that will be as good as any others on sale day. But, right now you don't need to take on that. Best bet would be to buy an Angus cow bred to a Hereford, or vice versa, and you'd have a black baldy calf on her side when you took them to the sale. A black baldy cow would be a good buy for you, too.
Maybe someone on this forum that lives close to you will reach out and offer to help you find some cows. @MurraysMutts is in Oklahoma but don't know how far from you. I am sure there are others on here, too. If not, hit me up after you sell those calves..if you buy them... and I will find you some. I have connections all over the country, that I trust to buy cattle for me. And they trust me to buy for them. Any of them that found a cow like you want, would be the same as if I found them myself.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like this is what y'all ought to do. There are breeds that will yield bigger weaning weights, and get to 1000 lbs quicker, etc. But most people on here will agree, that Herf, Angus, or black baldies are a safe, consistent bet, especially for a novice. Heck, let's hunt you an Angus cow bred to a Hereford, and a Hereford bred to an Angus, and you can decide which way to go when you sell the pairs and look for another 2 bred cows to buy. Either way, you gonna have black baldy babies, which do well at any sale anywhere in the country.

People shipwrecked on an island with no food, have been known to boil leather shoes and try to eat that when they are starving to death. That's about when cows will eat bark, limbs, etc. Right now, I'd say you know a lot more about cattle than these people do.

How old are these calves now? Yes, they will sell. And for more money than you will pay for them. Personally, at weaning I would buy them and just carry them straight to the sale. You will double your money on them right then. I wouldn't take them to my place, especially if that bull calf is still a buil when you bought it. I have said make the owners steer him before you buy him, but given what I have seen and the things you said about them, I doubt they know how and wouldn't trust them to do it right. Sell them and take the money and buy a heavy bred beef cow. Might can even buy two with that money. Or put a little with it and buy two. Buy them 6,7.8 months bred, and sell lhem as pairs when the calf is 3-4 months old.

YES!!!!

That one you said might have Corriente in her? Might, but looks more like she has Longhorn blood. Longhorn and Brahman crosses are common for bucking stock, or to use to breed for bucking stock. Cows like these when bred to an Angus or some other homozygous for polled and black bull....black Simm, SimmAngus, Brangus ......can produce calves for you that will be as good as any others on sale day. But, right now you don't need to take on that. Best bet would be to buy an Angus cow bred to a Hereford, or vice versa, and you'd have a black baldy calf on her side when you took them to the sale. A black baldy cow would be a good buy for you, too.
Maybe someone on this forum that lives close to you will reach out and offer to help you find some cows. @MurraysMutts is in Oklahoma but don't know how far from you. I am sure there are others on here, too. If not, hit me up after you sell those calves..if you buy them... and I will find you some. I have connections all over the country, that I trust to buy cattle for me. And they trust me to buy for them. Any of them that found a cow like you want, would be the same as if I found them myself.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like this is what y'all ought to do. There are breeds that will yield bigger weaning weights, and get to 1000 lbs quicker, etc. But most people on here will agree, that Herf, Angus, or black baldies are a safe, consistent bet, especially for a novice. Heck, let's hunt you an Angus cow bred to a Hereford, and a Hereford bred to an Angus, and you can decide which way to go when you sell the pairs and look for another 2 bred cows to buy. Either way, you gonna have black baldy babies, which do well at any sale anywhere in the country.
I think you are right….
According to the owner of these calves, we have approximately 3 months before they are fully weaned….

I want to mow the pasture put up some fencing, make at least 2 different pasture for rotation purposes plus a small holding pen….put in some gates for easy access.

I do want to see about maybe fencing some land for the horses separate from the cattle down by the barn.

I am hoping that we can talk to our partners this weekend about all of it.

Last edited:
I'd buy all 3 of the Mutts for 500 each.

I'd just turn em out and let em grow after I took any testicles off that remain. They ain't starving by those pics. Look plenty healthy. And obviously GENTLE!! Worm, vax, implant and sell em after the first freeze.

Money in the bank.....

And if one or two turn out to be keepers, so be it

I know nothing about Brangus, Brahma or any of those type of breeds. Don't be too stuck up on breeds, except..... you don't want milk/dairy cows or what I call novelty breeds like Highland Cattle or things like that if you want to feed up calves to sell again. Cross bred cattle do very well as commercial, that's all we do here. As I said in a previous post on your other post, you can never please the buyers 100 % anyway. One year they want black, next not black, not white, not roan....... do your thing and do as best as you can. If it's healthy, has good meat on it's bones and walks on the trailer...... it will sell.

I think you are right….
According to the owner of these calves, we have approximately 3 months before they are fully weaned….

I want to mow the pasture put up some fencing, make at least 2 different pasture for rotation purposes plus a small holding pen….put in some gates for easy access.

I do want to see about maybe fencing some land for the horses separate from the cattle down by the barn.

I am hoping that we can talk to our partners this weekend about all of it.
That would put them in October when they are weaned. Yeah, get them and haul them straight to auction. Put the money up and about next March, take it and buy two bred cows. Finish the perimeter fence now, and move your horses to it. . Then you have til next March to do your cross fencing, facility building, etc. Getting 2 bred cows to sell as a pair, there won;t be much handling at all to do. No need in tagging with 2 head...you will know which calf goes with what cow. Selling the pairs when the calf is 2-3 months old,, you wouldn't have to cut the bull calves, either.

Or, you could trade those 3 to @MurraysMutts for Bessie! :)

Edited to add: And you won't be feeding anything but your horses through the winter!

Last edited:

Latest posts