24’ Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
That time of the year again. These are the second calves from this group. Three have been born so far. These are the second round from that bull some of you may remember that would steal milk from the cows. His calves did good but he got a trailer ride. I have a bull coming soon from Gizmo Angus. Son of Coleman Bravo.

#324 was first to calve this year. She calved on February 20. Last year she calved on February 23. Heifer calf this year.

IMG_5013.jpeg

#205 had hers February 21. Last year she had hers on March 14. Heifer calf again. I only had 2 bull calves last year and this year is starting out too promising for bulls. Lol.

IMG_5037.jpeg

#114 had hers somewhere around march 2-4. Last year she had her calf on April 2. I have no idea the sex because when I found the calf today she went over and got it and told it to get up and let's go. Good momma.

IMG_5083.jpeg

So far so good. These first 3 have had their calves earlier this year with #114 quite a bit earlier. I do have two that I am going to cull when i rotate them back around because they had dinks last year and I am doubting they even are bred this time.

I have had a few calves you didn't want to get within 24 feet of them. Actually some of them 50 feet might be pushing it.

I don't have any of those here thankfully.

View attachment 42135
This year I don't have any stand out so far. Two years ago I got 43 cows that came from south of Riley OR. There is nothing in Riley. Go south of there you go a long ways to get to nothing. Harney county is bigger than any of the 7 smallest states with a population of 7,000. And only half a dozen of those people live south of Riley. It was a good deal and it worked but I seriously doubt any of those cows had ever seen a human on foot in their life. They weren't bad to be around except when they had a new calf.

Well I have finally confirm all of these first 4 are heifers. Last year was almost all heifers too. What in the world…

I've got a few really nice SAV Elation heifers, a couple nice Baldridge Drag Iron bulls and a few nice SAV Resource calves. It's early I know but the Rainfalls and the Deer Valley Optimums are ok, but nothing great so far, same with a couple Square B Bozeman calves that we have

Well I have finally confirm all of these first 4 are heifers. Last year was almost all heifers too. What in the world…
That is odd. Last year and the year before, the resident white-tailed deer does at our place here in Montana had mostly female fawns, 1 male and 8 females. I have no idea whether the beef calves in our area have a normal ratio of males to females. I haven't heard anything. You are in Ohio, so a long way from Montana. Fawns aren't born here until June, and the male fawns do not show antler buds until at least August, so I won't know if there are mostly females again this year for several months. Are any other cattle producers having a high prevalence of females?

Latest posts