Fall calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Some fall calves, all but one by our 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford bull.
The red brockle faced cow with the RWF calf has a touch of ear, Hereford x Beefmaster
The big Hereford cow with the BWF calf is one I bought at the stockyards several years ago.
Black cow with the white udder and white on her tail is by an Angus bull and her mother was a Hereford x Shorthorn, she has one of the BWF calves.
The last black cow pictured should calve very soon, she is a coming 11 year old Hoover Dam daughter, and 1 of two registered Angus I have left.
E153E979-EDE7-4A5F-BC81-693FD06E4A4A.jpegAD6B3EDA-AA8C-481E-8010-DDBF89F0BDB1.jpeg
8248EB59-2D92-4BC2-B1DC-81E0A3A0012D.jpegE3C80BD9-C316-47AD-9F54-C81E49143D7C.jpegEABADB13-3116-440D-BED3-5DB413ED3A0B.jpeg

The red brockle faced cow with the RWF calf has a touch of ear, Hereford x Beefmaster.

Do you find she has a harder time in winter than your Hereford, Angus, Simm and various crosses of those have? If she is 1/2 BM, that would make her 1/4 Brahma. just a tad less than a Brangus or Braford or Gert at 3/8ths Br. One of them bred to one of your bulls, would be just 3/16ths Brahma, a tad less than this cow is. Do you think that rwf calf will bring less than one just like it with a full British or Continental dam would? Is there a bias up there against slightly-eared cattle? If there is, would the increased growth and weaning weights make up for it?

The red brockle faced cow with the RWF calf has a touch of ear, Hereford x Beefmaster.

Do you find she has a harder time in winter than your Hereford, Angus, Simm and various crosses of those have? If she is 1/2 BM, that would make her 1/4 Brahma. just a tad less than a Brangus or Braford or Gert at 3/8ths Br. One of them bred to one of your bulls, would be just 3/16ths Brahma, a tad less than this cow is. Do you think that rwf calf will bring less than one just like it with a full British or Continental dam would? Is there a bias up there against slightly-eared cattle? If there is, would the increased growth and weaning weights make up for it?
I've never noticed any difference with Brahman cross/ percentage Brahman cattle in the winter than than any other breeds. They stay in as good of shape as anything else.
That cows mother a Beefmaster and a few braford type cows were some of my best. Have also had a few Santa Gertrudis cows, the calves from those Brahman influenced cows out my Angus or Hereford bulls haven't been docked,
That brockle faced cow shows very little ear, probably most people wouldn't even pick up on it if they didn't know, and her calves haven't shown any ear or navel hardly at all. I bought the cow's mother at auction as a heifer and she was discounted because she had long drooping ears and typical Brahman body shape.

I've never noticed any difference with Brahman cross/ percentage Brahman cattle in the winter than than any other breeds. They stay in as good of shape as anything else.
That cows mother a Beefmaster and a few braford type cows were some of my best. Have also had a few Santa Gertrudis cows, the calves from those Brahman influenced cows out my Angus or Hereford bulls haven't been docked,
That brockle faced cow shows very little ear, probably most people wouldn't even pick up on it if they didn't know, and her calves haven't shown any ear or navel hardly at all. I bought the cow's mother at auction as a heifer and she was discounted because she had long drooping ears and typical Brahman body shape.
I noticed it before I read your description of the cows, because of the head shape. and I viewed it as plus. I have always thought Brahma composites, like Braford and Brangus, and especially 1/2 composites like UltraBlack, would do well further north than most people think they will.

I noticed it before I read your description of the cows, because of the head shape. and I viewed it as plus. I have always thought Brahma composites, like Braford and Brangus, and especially 1/2 composites like UltraBlack, would do well further north than most people think they will.
I've always understood Ultrablack to be a result of Angus x Brangus which would make it only 12.5% Brahman.
I agree I've always always thought Brahman would help a lot of cattle up through here too. I think 1/2 bred cows would be good, and I like the VRious American breeds that are 3/8 Brahman too. I'm not sure under a 1/4 would accomplish much as far as any added benefit from Brahman characteristics but I don't know that for certain, not saying they aren't good cattle.

I've always understood Ultrablack to be a result of Angus x Brangus which would make it only 12.5% Brahman.
I agree I've always always thought Brahman would help a lot of cattle up through here too. I think 1/2 bred cows would be good, and I like the VRious American breeds that are 3/8 Brahman too. I'm not sure under a 1/4 would accomplish much as far as any added benefit from Brahman characteristics but I don't know that for certain, not saying they aren't good cattle.
They are 18.75%....3/16ths Brahma. They sell well in areas that a Brangus would be docked for ear. Thewy look like a Brangus with a little smaller ear, but get their coat from the Angus side, They gonna be hairy-er and not as slick as a Brahma. An ultra black bull might not give you quite as much birth weight and growth of a Brangus, but more so than using an Angus bull. The calves, however , half could be Brangus calves and half could be Angus calves, using a 50/50 cross like that. But as long as I am in the lower 2/3rd of the US, I would use Brangus before Angus or Ultra black.