Moderate sized cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Narrow straight bred genetics? Could use a low line bull. ;-)

Not sure that size sorting at weaning is effective with out crosses or cross breds. I have tried selling big ones after back grounding, and/or coming off grass as yearlings, and at18 months. There are some that just keep growing (faster) for several years.

My frame race champs are limi x herf wf cows. They are shaped a bit like yours, and also just keep growing. Mature at about 1700#.

Silver said:
Always found the opposite to be true here. Super easy to get 2000 lb cows, cow size always wants to creep up. But we're not breeding Angus either so perhaps that's the difference. I also believe that the further north you go the bigger cattle want to get.

My experience here has been the opposite especially using progeny of the top AI sires. Myself and other breeders have lost frame size. We are attempting to add it back. When you go to a sale now the few big,rugged bulls with more frame bring 2 times or more what the smaller framed bulls do. It only took 2 moderate bulls to take frame and size off our cows. I've always been told easier to take off than too add if staying witin the breed.

I have read this entire thread and have a question. What body condition score were those cows in the study? A frame 2.9 that weighs 1295 lb or a frame 4.9 that weighs 1545 are certainly in more than a BCS of 5 I was always taught that frame
score +7 x 100 = mature weight at a BCS of 5. Example - a frame 4 cow should weigh 1100 at a BCS of 5 (4 + 7 x 100 = 1100).

I, personally, do not think the FS was accurate. I believe they were runt weaned calves that later were fed well & grew into their "real" frame size. I read that report a year or so ago, and poo-poo'ed it in my mind.
Can you just picture a 2.9 frame weighing 1295#?
Edit: and 2.9 was the AVERAGE, meaning they supposedly had smaller frame size cattle. Any smaller than that and they don't hardly exist. LOL

Latest posts