A walk through the cows

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Just a morning stroll through the cows. They are hoping I'm going to open the gate to the next paddock but they will be disappointed as they have another 2 days to go here. The calves have got 6 weeks to go until weaning. a few are over 300 kg now. I have 6 steers to go to the weaner sale on the 7th March, I will keep 4 bull calves intact, one to use myself and 3 to sell in September. A fellow is buying 3 bull calves at weaning to develop as bulls. I am keeping around 10 heifers ( fewer if I can trim them down). Another couple are buying the 13 surplus heifers, they have bought the surplus heifers the previous 2 years and are happy with them. Now the big problem is finding some cows to cull, I have a couple of people lined up for them. Cattle prices are steadily rising here so hopefully it will be a good payday.
Ken

Just a morning stroll through the cows. They are hoping I'm going to open the gate to the next paddock but they will be disappointed as they have another 2 days to go here. The calves have got 6 weeks to go until weaning. a few are over 300 kg now. I have 6 steers to go to the weaner sale on the 7th March, I will keep 4 bull calves intact, one to use myself and 3 to sell in September. A fellow is buying 3 bull calves at weaning to develop as bulls. I am keeping around 10 heifers ( fewer if I can trim them down). Another couple are buying the 13 surplus heifers, they have bought the surplus heifers the previous 2 years and are happy with them. Now the big problem is finding some cows to cull, I have a couple of people lined up for them. Cattle prices are steadily rising here so hopefully it will be a good payday.
Ken

Good looking cattle. What is your grass?

Thanks for the video. Nice to see good slicked of cattle on grass.
I notice you year letters are out of synch with ours. I thought they were were the same internationally?

Thanks for the video. Nice to see good slicked of cattle on grass.
I notice you year letters are out of synch with ours. I thought they were were the same internationally?
Yeh, Dun pointed that out to me some years ago now. I think other Australian breed societies use the same as Angus Australia, may be because we are upside down.

Ken

Everything looks good. A lot of work to get to that point.
Thanks jl, yes it is good to see things come together, the last few years have been good seasons, one grass in particular kikuyu that I dropped seed out behind a deep ripper about 15 years ago that I thought at the time I had wasted my money has now spread and is a significant portion of the place. It is a summer growing running grass that spreads via runners and grows well in autumn up until the first frosts. It forms a good matt on the ground which helps to hold moisture on my sandy soil. 18 years of rotational grazing has certainly improved the place.
Using good genetics and a self replacing herd over a similar time frame and short joining period has lead to consistency in the calves. Biggest problem I have now is deciding which cows are to go.

Ken

Thanks Gizmon, no I just try to vary it each year and often not all colours are available and then I have a mental block. The last two years look very similar even though they are different colours, I forget what they are, pink and purple or red but anyhow I can't tell the difference. I might just go back to white but use a different coloured button each year. I like getting them printed, several years ago I think they changed the plastic and the pen I had been using started fading prematurely. I will have to start writing on the flip side of the tag though.

Ken