Moderate sized cows

Help Support CattleToday:

To each his own. In my herd, they range from about 1250 to 1700. Most are about 1400 pounds. My dad and brother ran beef cattle as partners for 50 years. Nothing fancy or uniform about them. If they needed a cow, they bought her at the stock yards. They liked big cows. The average cow was probable 1800 pounds.

Bright Raven said:
To each his own. In my herd, they range from about 1250 to 1700. Most are about 1400 pounds. My dad and brother ran beef cattle as partners for 50 years. Nothing fancy or uniform about them. If they needed a cow, they bought her at the stock yards. They liked big cows. The average cow was probable 1800 pounds.

I completely agree with to each his own.
There is considerable evidence that with all things equal more moderate framed cattle will marble and grade better. And also produce a higher percentage of the higher value cuts. Plus cuts in a more marketable size. Most people don't care to sit down to a 2 pound ribeye. But they do want their own steak.

callmefence said:
Bright Raven said:

I completely agree with to each his own.
There is considerable evidence that with all things equal more moderate framed cattle will marble and grade better. And also produce a higher percentage of the higher value cuts. Plus cuts in a more marketable size. Most people don't care to sit down to a 2 pound ribeye. But they do want their own steak.

I agree. That has been documented.

Quoted from the article: "The smaller cattle averaged 38 to 40 inches (frame score 2.6) at the hip at fall weaning, and the larger cattle averaged 43 to 44 inches (frame score 4.9). The smaller-framed cows were designated as "range" and the moderately framed cows were designated as "beef." Interestingly, the average mature (6 to 8 years of age) weight was 1,295 pounds for the "range" cows and 1,522 pounds for the "beef" cows."

I would consider the "beef" cows in this study to be moderate also. I would have been more interested in a study with the "beef" herd being frame score 6 1800 lb cows.

bigbluegrass said:
Quoted from the article: "The smaller cattle averaged 38 to 40 inches (frame score 2.6) at the hip at fall weaning, and the larger cattle averaged 43 to 44 inches (frame score 4.9). The smaller-framed cows were designated as "range" and the moderately framed cows were designated as "beef." Interestingly, the average mature (6 to 8 years of age) weight was 1,295 pounds for the "range" cows and 1,522 pounds for the "beef" cows."

I would consider the "beef" cows in this study to be moderate also. I would have been more interested in a study with the "beef" herd being frame score 6 1800 lb cows.

Everything is based off averages and the study is pretty much is dead on. Only hobby farmers or people who have more money than sense have 1800lb cows.

True Grit Farms said:
bigbluegrass said:

Everything is based off averages and the study is pretty much is dead on. Only hobby farmers or people who have more money than sense have 1800lb cows.

I'm a hobbyist and I don't even own scales but I'm afraid that based on the frame sizes of most of our herd, if properly fed and cared for, they'd be pushing that 1,800 pound mark.

Good thing I neglect them I suppose.

True Grit Farms said:
bigbluegrass said:

I have more forage than sense.

Imagine if SAV America 8018 had weaned at 575 pounds, and his dam was a 1200 pound mature cow? $1.8 million would have been fantasy land versus a reality. America has a massive waitlist, why? I have people contact me weekly for "just one straw please"

I would far rather have SAV genetics versus GAR, any day, and apparently many, MANY, producers agree.

To each their own however...

Latest posts