F-1 Wagyu

Help Support CattleToday:

Kobe beef is raised and slaughtered by giving the cattle regular massages and feeding them beer, and then slaughtering them when they're ready. Kobe beef is a Japanese delicacy that is prized for its intense flavor and marbled texture. The cattle are raised in a very specific way that results in this unique product.
FYI, Kobe beef is raised in the Kobe region. It has nothing to do with massages and feeding. That is done in more than one Region of Japan to produce the prime beef they
desire which is different than elsewhere.

Wagyu myths

"Wagyu cattle are fed beer and massaged. The fact is feeding Wagyu cattle is different from feeding other cattle breeds but, in America, it doesn't involve beer or massage. The Wagyu breed is a working breed, such as oxen, and some of these cattle are still working fields in Japan. Some farmers in Japan have massaged their cows because farmland is in short supply in Japan, meaning the cattle can't roam as freely as they should. In America, we have larger pasture land to give the cattle plenty of room to roam and relax freely. Some farmers in Japan may massage their cows' muscles during wintertime, when they are prone to their muscles cramping/seizing from the cold. The farmers used to pound on the cows so that when they went back out into the field, their joints weren't tight. This is where the massage myth came from.

The feeding of beer has been used by Japanese farmers to increase their appetite, mostly during the winter months to bring their appetite up. This is not standard practice and is not a feeding requirement.

The vast majority of wagyu and wagyu influenced cattle in the US are fed in a feedlot (with what are probably fairly standard foodstuffs). See Imperial Wagyu, Heartland, Snake River, etc.

The above post is simply misinformation spread by the sinister wagyu cabal. The fact is that all wagyu cattle are given deluxe massages, mud baths and facials, pedicures, and three five gallon buckets of beer per day. Wagyu producers are holding the beer brewers at gunpoint. Went to the store and couldn't find your favorite beer? A wagyu somewhere was drinking it.

See, over 50% of all farm subsidy money is going to these pampered belladonna beeves. We estimate that even more taxpayer money will go into them in the future, as the wagyus are becoming bored with beer and requesting grain liquors, particularly corn liquor. By as soon as next year, famines will begin as 63% of all corn is converted to liquor to keep these bovines buzzed.

They are also forming unions to protest against being slaughtered and not having heated stalls.

Don't believe a single word these charlatan charros representing the wagyus say.

The above post is simply misinformation spread by the sinister wagyu cabal. The fact is that all wagyu cattle are given deluxe massages, mud baths and facials, pedicures, and three five gallon buckets of beer per day. Wagyu producers are holding the beer brewers at gunpoint. Went to the store and couldn't find your favorite beer? A wagyu somewhere was drinking it.

See, over 50% of all farm subsidy money is going to these pampered belladonna beeves. We estimate that even more taxpayer money will go into them in the future, as the wagyus are becoming bored with beer and requesting grain liquors, particularly corn liquor. By as soon as next year, famines will begin as 63% of all corn is converted to liquor to keep these bovines buzzed.

They are also forming unions to protest against being slaughtered and not having heated stalls.

Don't believe a single word these charlatan charros representing the wagyus say.
Out drinking with b.duke again?
:)

I stopped into B's corral on Monday to inquire about starting time for today. He was just finishing loading a semi with Wagyu calves. As the truck pulled out on the road he said I wonder if that driver has enough load insurance to cover that load. It is $XXXXXX ( I am not putting up that number as it is someone else's business). My jaw about hit the ground. I guess it is worth dealing with these stupid cows that have calves who look to die anytime soon.

Big complete herd dispersal of over 500 head of Wagyu, Angus, and Wagyu-Angus crosses this Saturday at Bluegrass Stockyards in Lexington. Nice extended video of them on the Bluegrass website.
They look a little rough to me but it will be interesting to see what they bring.

I stopped into B's corral on Monday to inquire about starting time for today. He was just finishing loading a semi with Wagyu calves. As the truck pulled out on the road he said I wonder if that driver has enough load insurance to cover that load. It is $XXXXXX ( I am not putting up that number as it is someone else's business). My jaw about hit the ground. I guess it is worth dealing with these stupid cows that have calves who look to die anytime soon.
We love our stupid Wagyu cows that have calves that look like they're going to die anytime soon !!!!
Nothing tastes better 🤪

Interesting to me...beef was illegal to eat in Japan until about 1870...good info on Wagyu
His other videos have good info in them too if you're interested in that stuff

Interesting to me...beef was illegal to eat in Japan until about 1870...good info on Wagyu
His other videos have good info in them too if you're interested in that stuff

Well that was interesting... Thanks for posting it.

I've often suspected that people I'm talking to are confused by Wagyu terms and definitions, and buying based on hype rather than knowing what they are doing. So now this confirms what I've heard from other sources, that the Japanese black are the animals to be putting effort into, if into Wagyu at all.

The breed in the Hyōgo Prefecture where Kobe Japan is located is called Tajima. It is a black breed and has great marbling and tenderness DNA which is a dominant trait in Wagyu. Several other breeds in Japan have similar traits, hence crossing some of those with Tajima creates hybrid vigor. The fat is completely different in composition than American breeds. It is very high in Mono-Unsaturated fat - The Healthy Fat. Three times more than American breeds. It also has very high Omega-3. Wagyu quarter pounders can range over 200 mg of Omega-3.
Fullblood/purebred Wagyu compares to the health factor of Wild caught Salmon. (Wagyu beats salmon with higher protein, Mono-Unsaturated fat, and OLEIC Acid - Omega 9 found in Olive Oil!) The demand is driven by these health factors and its flavor and tenderness. If you have a cholesterol problem, wagyu beef is for you. The fat melts at about 77 degrees hence the cuts cook twice as fast as American breeds.
f1 crosses vary radically in quality with 50% having some of the qualities of wagyu, 25% being just like wagyu and 25% being just like the American breed used in the cross.
The amount of marbling can be controlled by feeding methods. Generally it will produce prime or slightly above prime (BMS 4 -7) if held back or grass finished, but can be pushed to the high marbling content (BMS 8 to 12) by slowing down the growth and limiting vitamin A in the last 3-5 months of finishing and stretching out finish time to 25 to 30 months. Don't overfeed! Over feeding will cause cap fat around the primal which will just get trimmed off and likely wasted.
A fair price for the producer and the buyer is about 20% to 30% above the price of prime Angus. Anything more is probably unwarranted anything less is too generous.

Attachments

• WagyuHealthFactor.jpg
    WagyuHealthFactor.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 7
A fair price for the producer and the buyer is about 20% to 30% above the price of prime Angus.
Maybe for fullblood Wagyu beef graded prime+ sold to restaurants.

Boxed beef spread on 600-900 lbs carcasses from Select to Choice is 7.5% (288 cwt to 309 cwt)
I can't see more than a 10% spread (for a carcass) on top of the bonus price of "Prime Angus" as being fair to the buyer.

p.s.
Prime is prime, there is no difference between Angus, Hereford, Holstein, Simmental carcasses grading usda prime.

Last edited:
Sorry - but I do not see the fascination with having as much fat as red meat in a slab of beef. Choice or Prime is plenty of "fat"/marbling for me.
I've never tried Wagyu beef... but that's my first thought too. I could be wrong... but with so many popular fads that peak and eventually die out... if I wait long enough my first impressions usually pan out.

You should try it. It is unusually good not to mention the unusual health factor. There is a difference. Mainly health, tenderness and flavor. Get some full-blood/purebred steaks and try it!!

Latest posts