Lot 1 GAR Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Your leaving a lot of money in the pasture like that your selling 500 -600 hundred lbs. and then the buyer takes them and runs them to 8 and 9 hundred and makes money off them .; ur throwing money away.
Depends on the situation and location.
In many areas it is far more profitable to sell at 500-600 lbs then to sell at 900lbs.

Depends on the situation and location.
In many areas it is far more profitable to sell at 500-600 lbs then to sell at 900lbs.
Plus the fact that its a lot more profitable to get 10 500 lbs calves out of a cow than 4 800 lbs weaned calves and then an open 6 year old who is out of the herd. You cant have it all. I will take the 500 lbs calves out of 10 year old cows while I also get to sell replacement females to others or keep them as I gain land.

I would agree to a point-there's an awful lot of throwaway leg on this bull. Lots of air under the product.

Yet most on here bash the short legged Stock as well . Had an entire thread of people bashing breeds because they were short legged.
People running cattle on BLM leases need bulls that can cover ground. A bull with leg will do as much as two short legged bulls. It's just an economic reality.

People running cattle on BLM leases need bulls that can cover ground. A bull with leg will do as much as two short legged bulls. It's just an economic reality.
Maybe one day you will actually let the facts support your opinion.
Most estimate that around 6 percent of the total us cattle inventory is on any government leases (forest service,blm combined)
Most leases allow only grazing for at best 6 months a year.
Numerous studies done by multiple universities show that the smaller framed cattle are most profitable to run on government allotments!

Maybe one day you will actually let the facts support your opinion.
Most estimate that around 6 percent of the total us cattle inventory is on any government leases (forest service,blm combined)
Numerous studies done by multiple universities show that the smaller framed cattle are most profitable to run on government allotments!
Maybe one day you will read for comprehension...

Hope springs eternal.

Unwillingness to discuss your opinions only further proves that you don't have any factual basis for your opinions.
Personal attacks on me do very little to convince others of the validity of your opinions either!

Unwillingness to discuss your opinions only further proves that you don't have any factual basis for your opinions.
Personal attacks on me do very little to convince others of the validity of your opinions either!
It's impossible to discuss anything with a guy that can't read what's written and understand it. Some people read and then make things up in their own mind, believing everything they think. Right now you seem to be triggered by something I wrote... that apparently you think I said something I didn't. There's no profit in trying to have an intelligent conversation with someone that makes things up in order to make a controversy where there is none. I think you want to look intelligent, but you come across as... willing to misread something to create an argument. Pedantic is an insulting word used to describe someone who annoys others by correcting small differences in perception, caring too much about minor details, or emphasizing their own expertise especially in some narrow or boring subject matter.

From what I've seen on this forum, I'm not alone in my opinion.

Some people read and then make things up in their own mind, believing everything they think. Right now you seem to be triggered by something I wrote... that apparently you think I said something I didn't.
Someone is projecting a bit . Who was it that quoted an almost year old post. Yet won't have a discussion on the actual topic. Who has a habit of personal attacks against me rather then have an actual discussion on the topics.
You can try to muddy the waters all you want . But it won't change the fact that there are numerous research articles published by universities that contradict your opinion that long legs are a required necessity on blm allotments.
Seems to me you don't want to have actual conversations. You want to make statements and expect everyone here to bow down and accept them facts without question /discussion because the almighty all knowing Travlr has spoken.

Someone is projecting a bit .
Seems to me you don't want to have actual conversations. You want to make statements and expect everyone here to bow down and accept them facts without question /discussion because the almighty all knowing Travlr has spoken.
Seems to me you don't want to have actual conversations. You want to make statements and expect everyone here to bow down and accept them facts without question /discussion because the almighty all knowing Rmc has spoken.

Pedantic...

So how many on here actually own a blm or forest service allotment?
From the info I can find only about 6 percent of cattle in the us run on government allotments.
My guess is that the number of members on CT that actually own an allotment on and run their own cattle on is much smaller.
All the cattle I know of in the surrounding areas that are on govt leases are smaller in frame size and weight than those that are pastured year round.
And all research I have found show that smaller framed cows are what is profitable.
Is this just a regional thing or is that the way it is in most areas?

From the info I can find only about 6 percent of cattle in the us run on government allotments.
My guess is that the number of members on CT that actually own an allotment on and run their own cattle on is much smaller.
All the cattle I know of in the surrounding areas that are on govt leases are smaller in frame size and weight than those that are pastured year round.
And all research I have found show that smaller framed cows are what is profitable.
Sorry Rmc, if you'd have started out having a conversation instead of attacking I'd have gladly had that discussion. But I'm not gonna touch your questions with someone else's ten foot pole.

So let's get on the topic of are long legged cattle needed on blm allotments to make a profit as some have claimed?
Never ceases to amaze me how some just try to do anything they can not to discuss the topic simply because someone has a different opinion than they do . So rather than actually discuss the topic at hand they continue to muddy the waters and make personal attacks rather then have a discussion over different points of view.

That research is done by people with no money in the game. I have been told that the results of a lot of research is determined before the research starts. If the results don't come out as pre planned they are never posted. I have read the results of many of those studies. In all I have seen that favored the small cow they figure the low weight short framed, light muscled calve will bring as much per lb as a framier, well muscled heavier WW calf. In the real world we operate in it isn't the case. We have tried short framed low weight cows. They don't last here. In drought years they cull themselves out. I don't need to read someone else's research in another envywho has no money in the game. I know what returns the most money per acre here for us and many commercial breeders I know. Have you done any research yourself or are you basing it on what you read? No one size and type works best everywhere. The short legged paddock cattle work in some places but not here.

So how many of your cows run on a blm or forest service allotment?
I would argue that research being done by someone for their masters thesis . Using data from his own families govt leases as well as neighboring ranch's as well as others in the intermountain region to have skin in the game . But to each their own. I would trust research like that more than I would research funded by big corporations. But to each their own.
But then I also tend to believe the research from the agricultural universities in the intermountain west ahead of big corporation funded research.
The topic I raised is best cattle size on paddocks as you brought up.
The topic I am interested in discussing is the claim that cattle on blm allotments must be long legged or not economically viable as someone has claimed. The claim isn't some places smaller cattle can and do produce profit on blm allotments.
The claim was cows must be long legged to be financially viable on blm allotments.
Every single herd of cattle I have seen in my area who spend at least part of the year on allotments are smaller and lighter then those cattle who spend there entire life's in pasture.
Range type cattle are completely different than those who never leave the pastures.

The claim was cows must be long legged to be financially viable on blm allotments.

People running cattle on BLM leases need bulls that can cover ground. A bull with leg will do as much as two short legged bulls.

Please learn to read what was written instead of what you read INTO it.

Range type cattle are completely different than those who never leave the pastures.

I could have written that myself.

Latest posts