Production sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

I did not mean to high jack anything ive been raising cattle for 62 years have seen alot of people come and go . I get tired of these purebred breeders peddling these bulls off on people that these bull have no reason to be a bull than my cat. The first 10 bulls in the sale might work for somebody but not every body . too keep what u got in ur cows you need to use a bull in the same cow family just because he looks good and brings a lot of money dont make him a breeding bull i get tired of guys getting and cursing the cow buss. because some body talked them into buying a bull that looks good . it would take hours to explain the cow calf thing the way u should operate been there lost 2 farms over buying something i didnt need for get about the bull and put ur time on the cows if u just want a bull to breed cows go to the sale barn thats what ur buying anyway. Those bulls that they showed there ive seen better bulls at a sale barn. DONT WASTE UR MONEY.
If you have lost 2 farms maybe you should be listening instead of giving advice.

I like the Hereford bull. Not sure if it's the camera or what but he looks a mile long. He is going to be a big boy.
he grew out to be 2,000 lbs nice size even for heifers herefords are easy breeders not like angus.

Gotta admit... I have a hard time believing that. Maybe three months.

I'd have a hard time believing those cows will raise a 900# calf at 205 days, too. They looked like decent cows, but not 900# at weaning cows.
Don't have a dog in the hunt but the man said he creeped them and fed the cows extra groceries. 900 lb weaning weight is a lot but with constant feeding I could see it happening . My question is it cost effective?

Don't have a dog in the hunt but the man said he creeped them and fed the cows extra groceries. 900 lb weaning weight is a lot but with constant feeding I could see it happening . My question is it cost effective?
Yeah, I don't know. All I have is my own experience to go by and that includes what I've seen. I don't believe I've ever seen a feed that would put 50% more weight on a 600# calf by weaning.

Yeah, I don't know. All I have is my own experience to go by and that includes what I've seen. I don't believe I've ever seen a feed that would put 50% more weight on a 600# calf by weaning.
Just poking the bear 🐻, hope I don't get bit ! 😁

with 4. 00 corn and 12.00 soy bean and 2500 calf i would say soy and breed back 95 or better out of 100 because of feed to the cow a.i. to

Getting back to the production sale, there also needs to be a talk about how things are handled if the sale doesn't go as well as you would like. Don't ruin the market for bulls by selling them for less than it cost to produce them. I would also think hard about not selling bulls that pass through after the sale as it will reduce the number of bidders during the sale.

Getting back to the production sale, there also needs to be a talk about how things are handled if the sale doesn't go as well as you would like. Don't ruin the market for bulls by selling them for less than it cost to produce them. I would also think hard about not selling bulls that pass through after the sale as it will reduce the number of bidders during the sale.
Most of the sales anymore have a base known to the auctioneer. If an animal doesn't bring the base price they are sold to a number assigned before the sale. Sometimes they use several numbers. If you attend several sales a year it becomes easy too tell what the base number is. Many never notice.

If you listened, the narrator said these were July calves. No where in any of his posts, did clovlan say he had 900 lb month old calves. He clamed 900 at 205 day weaning.
The only way he can attain those weaning weights is if he feeds heavy like he stated. Not profitable for the commercial breeder. His management style is high maintenance.

If you listened, the narrator said these were July calves. No where in any of his posts, did clovlan say he had 900 lb month old calves. He claimed 900 at 205 day weaning.
My error but I didn't have the sound on. I assumed the narrator of posts was calving in spring. Weaning 900 lb calves at 205 days in mid winter just became more expensive.

Several several years ago with our fall calving herd I creeped the calves with a free choice high quality corn gluten based feed. I put out the creep when they were about 1 month old. When they were around 6 mos old, I left them on the free choice feed after I weaned. I sold them around 45 days post weaning.
That was a VERY expensive lesson. My steers averaged 800+lbs, but the buyers sat on their hands and they got hammered for being too fleshy. In truth they were some butter balls.. looked like a bunch of finished hogs.
Now I hold off on creep until 30 days pre weaning, and they average 575-650.. much much more profitable (price-input+buyer's preference=profit)

Latest posts