Production sale

Help Support CattleToday:

If you have a website, put the pdf or jpeg of the flyer and the sales catalog on it. People that w3ant a hard copy can print it off from there. Then you just have to email the link, post it on social media groups, pages, forums etc. What kind of cattle do you produce?

If you have a website, put the pdf or jpeg of the flyer and the sales catalog on it. People that w3ant a hard copy can print it off from there. Then you just have to email the link, post it on social media groups, pages, forums etc. What kind of cattle do you produce?
Angus cattle, I used to be much more active on the board with sharing what we have going on.

I would cover both bases, still a lot of older people out there (with money) that don't get around digital stuff too well. A hard copy might get thrown on a side table beside a chair then gets picked up at their leisure to browse when having a cup of coffee, it is there 24/7 for them to access.
You can send me a digital version though
[email protected]

Ken

I would look at the expense of one vs the other. In my limited experience, hard copies are very expensive. You might be able to do a hybrid and say hard copies are available upon request.

What I like is getting a small flyer in the mail, like a save the date, with links to websites. On that, you could maybe put a phone number amd say call to request a catalog?

Just throwing ideas out.

Last few production sales I saw, they had everything on their webpage, like I mentioned above, but if you wanted a catalog,, you clicked on a form and put your name, address, email address and phone number. You had to complete all lines in order to submit the request. That way, they were able to add to their mailing list and email list.

Agriculture has the oldest average age of any profession... so I'd have to say the people with the money are likely to appreciate a paper catalog although by now they know how to use their printer or a link.

Good luck with your first sale. Pictures of your animals?
We're doing pictures and videos this weekend. Hope to have the catalog finished and to the printer by this time next week. PM your address and I'll add you to the mailing list.

Have an online option like DV or CCI . Buyers from 50 miles to 500 miles can participate from their living room .
We will have dvauction on site for the sale. I should have probably outlined what all we've done to this point to make it easy. A postcard arrived to 3600 prospective customers within a 200 mile radius this week. We will be doing a Herd Report Spotlight podcast for the sale. We will be sending out print versions, trying to decide how many to do. $500 swing in more catalogs vs additional advertising is a big question mark on which attracts more buyers.

We will have dvauction on site for the sale. I should have probably outlined what all we've done to this point to make it easy. A postcard arrived to 3600 prospective customers within a 200 mile radius this week. We will be doing a Herd Report Spotlight podcast for the sale. We will be sending out print versions, trying to decide how many to do. $500 swing in more catalogs vs additional advertising is a big question mark on which attracts more buyers.

If you spend the $500 for the additional catalogs and get 2 extra buyers, actual bidders/buyers, you'll get that $500 back...at least. I guess what I'm trying to say is you already spend a boatload of cash, so why not increase your exposure.

Jake I will give my opinion. We don't have a printer or access to one and not buying one for a few sales every year. I request a catalog to those sales I have an interest in buying at. I pay no attention to a flyer. It goes in the trash on arrival. If a catalog or videos are available online I look the offering over then request a catalog if I have an interest in any. IMO I prefer too see actual weights and measurements when took rather than low accuracy EPD's. Only a few provide that info even when asked. I wish you the best on your sale. I will look online. Be interested in your offering. Always nice to see other genetics.

I don't know how so many places has got my information but I get sent a ton of catalogs. I'm assuming it has to do with me having registered animals. The catalogs go straight in the trash and I don't even look at them.

But, I don't do these sale purchases either. I just do private treaty. Just send me an email with pics, price, info., etc., and when they can be delivered to my door. 😆

We're going to have our first production sale this year. Wondering on mailing list, do you find that a digital version is enough to spark your interest in a sale or do you prefer a hard copy to arrive in the mail?
I think it is good to have a hard copy but you need to limit your numbers. When we started 7 years ago we took the entire list from the angusntour plus everyone in the montanabangus association plus a bunch of local people who would actually be customers. Our list was like 600 people to try to sell 50 bulls. Last year we went and really cut down the list to about 250 and I don't think it hurt us at all to do that and saved us a bunch of money.

If it is a sale I am attending and I did not receive a hard copy I at least prefer there to be some printed ones there to be had. It is nice to have a hard copy while following the sale

Yeah, I purchased a young Angus bull at the April Branch View Angus sale about five years ago ( a really nice operation by the way). Since then my mailbox is deluged with cattle magazines and sales brochures. It bothers me about the waste for I hardly ever read one; they just have little significance for my operation. There is no way I will purchase a bull from Iowa or Nebraska. Some sort of filter is needed, or something,