Lot 1 GAR Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

People running cattle on BLM leases need bulls that can cover ground. A bull with leg will do as much as two short legged bulls. It's just an economic reality.

People running cattle on BLM leases need bulls that can cover ground. A bull with leg will do as much as two short legged bulls.

Please learn to read what was written instead of what you read INTO it.
So explain to m exact what you meant then when you said that long legged bulls are needed on blm leases it's an economic reality?
If you didn't meant that unless the bulls are long legged on blm leases you will not make money?
Because everything I am aware of and see is the bulls as well as the cows on blm and forest service allotments are shorter legged then those in pasture . Because the long legged animals legs can't take the steep hills. Long and lean with little to no muscle mass on the legs just won't hold up. Neither will the 1400 lb cows.

So explain to m exact what you meant then when you said that long legged bulls are needed on blm leases it's an economic reality?
If you didn't meant that unless the bulls are long legged on blm leases you will not make money?
Because everything I am aware of and see is the bulls as well as the cows on blm and forest service allotments are shorter legged then those in pasture . Because the long legged animals legs can't take the steep hills. Long and lean with little to no muscle mass on the legs just won't hold up. Neither will the 1400 lb cows.
Again, read what is written.

People running cattle on BLM leases need bulls that can cover ground. A bull with leg will do as much as two short legged bulls.

I'm just gonna stick to my original post until you show some degree of understanding about what IT SAYS. And then actually think about what it means... instead of just jumping to criticism without understanding.

Ya know, "being critical" is not the same thing as thinking critically. Critical thinkers seek understanding instead of just tearing everything apart.

I sure wish you'd go to your profile and put a location on it. I'm curious where "here" is.
I can answer that for him. He is in the panhandle of Oklahoma. Just off the Canadian river. Not BLM but either wheat fields or very rough grazing land. I was on a 280,000 acre fire in the area just a few years ago and met him there.

I am not sure that BLM is the focus. The best bulls ANYWHERE have proper feet and legs, correct angles and perfect stride. Add in that a straight topline is often linked to the prior traits. Frame score either adds value or subtracts value in calves. again, not BLM related. Sort of like "Pop goes the Weasel" to get such potent needs to discuss over such a minor point.

And I don't care what researcher promotes pud cows and bulls: I'm watching what sells.

I think on big rough country, which most federal allotments are, a bull that is structurally correct and moves out well will have the most success. Some are bigger framed and some are smaller, but the key is they have to be able to walk and have some libido. Each bull is on his own merits there. Probably 20% of the bulls sire 80% of the calves and the ones that can hustle get the most action. The replacements in those herds are the result of the breed up and whatever selection pressure the owner puts on the females.

Again, read what is written.
A bull with leg will do as much as two short legged bulls.

Ya know, "being critical" is not the same thing as thinking critically. Critical thinkers seek understanding instead of just tearing everything apart.
A bull with leg can't and won't do twice as much as a short legged bull on BLM ground.
That is pure and simple bs and is not supported by any fact.
People running cattle on BLM leases need bulls that can cover ground. A bull with leg will do as much as two short legged bulls. It's just an economic reality.
This is pure and simple b.s not factual .
Spin it any way you want . Muddy the waters all you want with your personal attacks on me but it won't and doesn't do anything to support your above quote ..

I think on big rough country, which most federal allotments are, a bull that is structurally correct and moves out well will have the most success. Some are bigger framed and some are smaller, but the key is they have to be able to walk and have some libido. Each bull is on his own merits there. Probably 20% of the bulls sire 80% of the calves and the ones that can hustle get the most action. The replacements in those herds are the result of the breed up and whatever selection pressure the owner puts on the females.
But do they have to be long legged ?
That is the question? Someone claims that Just because a bull is long legged he can do twice as much as a short legged bull on a blm lease. And that is an economic reality. Nothing in the claim has anything to do with proper structure.
Only length of leg was the only trait that was discussed.

I don't recall there being many short legged grass type bulls on any allotments I have seen. Most ranchers seem to select the thickest and best traveling bulls they can buy. Most cattle seem to run year round in a BCS 5.

Not sure what thickness has to do with length. Kind of like saying you can tell how tall someone is by what they weigh!

I am not sure that BLM is the focus. The best bulls ANYWHERE have proper feet and legs, correct angles and perfect stride. Add in that a straight topline is often linked to the prior traits. Frame score either adds value or subtracts value in calves. again, not BLM related. Sort of like "Pop goes the Weasel" to get such potent needs to discuss over such a minor point.

And I don't care what researcher promotes pud cows and bulls: I'm watching what sells.
The reason I said bulls used on BLM need legs is because they have to be able to "cover ground", as in be able to walk long distances. Out west it's not unusual to have a cow/calf unit per hundred acres... so a hundred cows on ten thousand acres of not particularly friendly country. Sometimes forage so sparse that cows spread out miles from each other, and miles back and forth to water. Bulls with legs have more stride and they don't have to work as hard to cover ground between cows to service them. Of course there's a balance between being capable, and being attractive to a market. The bull that prompted the initial comment had legs. Probably a percentage Chianina.

grazing in desert

The green stuff in the picture is mostly sagebrush, and cattle don't eat it. What they eat is between the sage and the other green stuff you see. It's so sparse in the picture that you don't see it.

Last edited:
Anyone who knows even the basics of blm leases would know a few simple basics . Cattle can ,will and do eat the many different species of sage brush.
Very few leases exist that involve tens of thousands of acres. Even in those that due . Cattle aren't allowed to simply roam tens of thousands of acres at a time.
Leases are divided into specific areas . Cows are only allowed in specific areas for a certain amount of days or until the forage is reduced to a targeted point and then moved to another area.
This is 2024 not the 1800s .
Hundreds of cattle aren't kicked out onto 10s of thousands of acres to wonder as they wish.
I think you have watched to many western movies or read to many dime store novels.
The pic you posted to me appears to have lots of rabbit brush .
Very little if any sage brush is green,
It usually is a variety of greys depending on the particular species.

Last edited:
Utah BLM currently manages approximately 1410 grazing allotments covering 22 million acres of BLM land in the State. Many of Utah's BLM grazing allotments are "common" allotments where more than one permittee is authorized to use the allotment.

That works out to over 15,000 acres per allotment. In Wyoming the average allotment is almost 5,000 acres.

Nevada administers 668 grazing authorizations on 797 grazing allotments. Nevada has the most public land authorized for grazing in BLM; about 43 million acres.

And yes, starving cattle will eat just about anything. BLM tries to restrict cattle numbers so they don't have to eat sagebrush.

Last edited:
The pic you posted to me appears to...

I didn't post that to you. I'm beginning to believe you have some kind of mental illness, and in that case I feel bad for you but it makes it even less attractive to have any kind of dialogue with you. Between you intentionally misunderstanding, moving goal posts, and making stuff up that was never said, it's impossible to have a productive exchange. Be well, take your meds, and now you are on ignore.