GAR Sunbeam ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with him or his calves ? On paper he has a few traits I want on a terminal clean up bull . Foot, scores ,top line , hair coat seems to be jet black , PAP, HS, udders, and IMF. Thanks

When he was first offered several years ago I was considering him but then talked to a hand at ST genetics in Texas that said the bull himself is not only flighty but can be downright aggressive. That being said I'm going to use a couple canes of a son of his, Connealy Commerce, in the spring

Great reasons not to use him. I looked at Commerce but after talking to people that seem him in person they reported he has high tail head and sway back . His ratios were outstanding. Maybe Craftsman ?

Used him for a few years now. Docility is fine. He's a nice all around bull. My first sunbeam daughters will calve this spring.

Exceptionally good Ribeye and Marbling has not been mentioned. If selling calves to someone finishing them out for Freezer beef, that would be a great selling point from my view if I were buying. Buying beef with nice marbling and steaks with tenderness would make me a repeat buyer. If you are good with his frame size, then he is your man. But he is real high all the way across the board as his numbers are high. Then give him a try. If you retain some of his heifers to retain carcass numbers, that would be great too. I remember there a was a bull that I liked a lot; when you got close to his fence he would rattle the cables as he had a very low tolerance of anyone. My best cow was out of a nasty acting bull, and her two heifers, now, never were aggressive. Nor where the bulls out of those cows as they produced several herd bulls for other farms.

In the latest catalog he's listed as now deceased with limited semen available. I've used him to the point I have a few daughters & I have sons to sell & use so I didn't buy this year but he's a proven sire with not many holes. Watch his video & you will see he's closer to lazy than flighty & that's what I see in the progeny. Not as dog gentle as Dual Threats but Either way to me those are the best G A R Bulls for the past few years. G A R doesn't focus on much that doesn't end up in $B but you can see these have value beyond that. If you think you get more pounds from someone else check out their creep feeding program & how they prove out. It's not there. I do wish GAR would put higher pressure on feet, legs and phenotype because with as many as they put out, they could use Sunbeam type bulls more & Transcendent type bulls less & still get where they are going. They are very disciplined in what they are looking for though, so I don't fault them as a program. I just take it into account & only use the ones I like that fit my criteria.