Gardiner - Select Sires - GAR ANTICIPATION

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice Cow, Is she bred yet :lol: :lol: meanning He is very feminine looking, not impressed at all with his appearance. Would also make a good steer.

But but but he has good epds. Surely he's better than he looks. I think ill buy a son for 15k and see if I hit the jackpot.

Jake":1t6w5udw said:
he's a POS. Only thing behind him is a name. He will see almost no use, just a place holder

Jake, I hope you're right. But when you made a similar comment on the other thread, I had a friend PM me that he bet Select Sires sold 3 times or more of that bull's semen than the #1 Hereford bull (in semen sales)'will sell in 2014. He's far more in tune with that market than I am.

George

Herefords.US":1jsnz7nm said:
Jake":1jsnz7nm said:
he's a POS. Only thing behind him is a name. He will see almost no use, just a place holder

Jake, I hope you're right. But when you made a similar comment on the other thread, I had a friend PM me that he bet Select Sires sold 3 times or more of that bull's semen than the #1 Hereford bull (in semen sales)'will sell in 2014. He's far more in tune with that market than I am.

George

That may be true but how many units of Herf semen does SS actually sell? If they are pushing this thing on commercial programs to use on heifers that will sell semen. He effect in the seedstock herd will be incredibly minimal.

No, he said the #1 semen seller in the Hereford breed, not just what Select Sires sell.

That is disturbing to me that there are that many folks out there who are so ignorant of what is correct functional structure and/or so enamored with blue box EPDs that this bull would get sny use at all.

George SS has Hereford bulls who woulda known. I went to their AI class and out of the regional guy and two salesman not one even had a beef book in the truck. The sad fact is he is probably right.

shadyhollownj":1anozhr9 said:
George SS has Hereford bulls who woulda known. I went to their AI class and out of the regional guy and two salesman not one even had a beef book in the truck. The sad fact is he is probably right.

Mike, first of all this bull should have never left Gardiner's ranch with a registration paper and his nuts intact.

As far as Select Sires go, seeing this bull in their listing convinces me that they have abdolutely no one on their management team who are BEEF cattlemen. They have been looking at WAY too many Holstein bulls.

George

Herefords.US":3kxbnd31 said:
No, he said the #1 semen seller in the Hereford breed, not just what Select Sires sell.

That is disturbing to me that there are that many folks out there who are so ignorant of what is correct functional structure and/or so enamored with blue box EPDs that this bull would get sny use at all.

There are a whole bunch of people out there who automatically associate AI bull with quality. I think we would all be amazed at how many people have no clue what they are doing with their cattle. If this bull really outsold the #1 Hereford bull that is truly a travesty.

Herefords.US":1fqyhx15 said:

"ignorant of what is correct functional structure "

Hmm, I would say this bull moves pretty darn good. He holds his head up nice when he walks and steps his hind foot exactly in the track of the front foot. What structural problems are you referring to?

I don't like his middle, but he sure is deep chested. But he has poor muscle expression and doesn't appear to show much masculinity, in these pics. He'd look a lot better if he carried more condition. Its interesting that these types of bulls are showing up as leaders in carcass traits. Time will tell how his progeny perform.

I prefer a bull to look like a bull. Broad shoulders; curly hair; big nuts; wide thighs; deep chest; etc.

This animal would seem to have poor hormonal balance; I'd expect this will express itself in sub-fertility of his calves. I guess time will tell... :shrug:

Well I was really expecting to get hammered by my statement. But if he out sold the # 1 Hereford, then the commercial cattleman has a lot to be desired. I mean really that bull is a steer and should be. I guess its the Angus marketing machine. :2cents:

Ladies and Gentlemen-

This bull is a "FUNNEL BUTT!" Take a piece of paper - cover the rear half of this bull with it - and analyze what you see. Then, cover the front half of the same bull - and analyze what you see! Does not look like they belong to the same BEEF animal! It looks as though his hind end, along with his rear legs, has been jammed into a FUNNEL! Hence the term FUNNEL BUTT! This characteristic and trait is anathema to good phenotype and beef traits! It is one reason that many breeders are opposed to using Angus bulls, and many well-informed Angus breeders are breeding AWAY from this UN-beef-like characteristic in their seedstock breeding herds.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3r8dhuq4 said:
Ladies and Gentlemen-

This bull is a "FUNNEL BUTT!" Take a piece of paper - cover the rear half of this bull with it - and analyze what you see. Then, cover the front half of the same bull - and analyze what you see! Does not look like they belong to the same BEEF animal! It looks as though his hind end, along with his rear legs, has been jammed into a FUNNEL! Hence the term FUNNEL BUTT! This characteristic and trait is anathema to good phenotype and beef traits! It is one reason that many breeders are opposed to using Angus bulls, and many well-informed Angus breeders are breeding AWAY from this UN-beef-like characteristic in their seedstock breeding herds.

DOC HARRIS

He's not an attractive bull. He appears weak in his hindquarters and he's gutty. He also doesn't appear masculine. BUT, I have noticed more and more of this type that is showing up as "carcass sires", through the use of the latest technologies..ie: ultrasound. I have heard many times that the rear quarters, as sought after as they are for visual appraisal, aren't a good indicator of ultrasound ribeye area. Are we breeding the hindquarters off in pursuit of high ultra-sound ribeye areas? If so, is it a good thing or bad? Is larger ribeye area our best indicator of meat yield?

If you want your calves to be marketable, you must consider muscle and weight this bull carries. This bull has so many areas on his body that lack muscle that he is missing major poundage.

His shoulders are not carrying enough muscle, and he does not have the "football shoulder pads" that a good AI bull shows. Lots of weight there!
He has small forearms.
This bull does not have a full rib cage and is narrow.
I personally like to see the shoulder pads really full and blend back into the ribs, and flow down into a big gut, which shows me that he will gain weight easy.
Any of the bull calves that I have raised, that have the full ribs and gut like this weigh the most. They also carry the most muscle.

He appears to be "A" framed instead of flat backed. His croup and rump are "A"framed. All of this muscling adds much weight.
Without the full rib cage, his flanks are still sunken in much like a race horse. His rump is short with no muscles from his tail down to his back leg. It sinks in instead of bulging out like a nice bull should show. He has less meat on his rump than a deer.

His muscle on his back leg should tie in low on his back leg, all the way down to his hock bone.

Some people just breed to a certain bull because someone else does. Pull up two screens from Select Sires and compare him to some of the other bulls, and see how much weight he is missing in so many areas.

Latest posts