Production sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Several several years ago with our fall calving herd I creeped the calves with a free choice high quality corn gluten based feed. I put out the creep when they were about 1 month old. When they were around 6 mos old, I left them on the free choice feed after I weaned. I sold them around 45 days post weaning.
That was a VERY expensive lesson. My steers averaged 800+lbs, but the buyers sat on their hands and they got hammered for being too fleshy. In truth they were some butter balls.. looked like a bunch of finished hogs.
Now I hold off on creep until 30 days pre weaning, and they average 575-650.. much much more profitable (price-input+buyer's preference=profit)
How would you do if you made the same weights without any financial inputs for supplemental feed?

How would you do if you made the same weights without any financial inputs for supplemental feed?
I don't think it would be possible to achieve those weights without a great deal of feed supplement, but I don't recall what they brought at market. Just remember feeling very burned.

And when I asked the question I was referring to the 575-650 weights. If you could get those weights without any supplemental feed, why wouldn't you be doing it?
I can't get those weights with fall calves without a little supplement. Our spring calves exceed those weights without any, but it's hard to get much growth over the winter.

I think lot 28, 23, and 24 would be my picks from the pictures. Add in the EPDs and I'd definitely go with 28 (I use angus on heifers).

Last edited:
You're good... I picked out 23 and 28 before I read your post. They have the best top lines (straight backs) and the least
23 is probably more smooth and stylish, but 28 has the look of a good herd bull to me

23 is probably more smooth and stylish, but 28 has the look of a good herd bull to me
U2 Coalition sires some of the better looking and more structurally correct bulls. Ours were a little smaller at weaning, but post weaning they really take off.

U2 Coalition sires some of the better looking and more structurally correct bulls. Ours were a little smaller at weaning, but post weaning they really take off.
I sure liked the daughters we saw last summer. We are using coalition a lot this year.

Do you have any concerns with fertility on Coalition? I have never used him or any sons of him.

Do you have any concerns with fertility on Coalition? I have never used him or any sons of him.
I personally don't. Van Dykes wouldn't be using him if there were any concerns.

Coalition had a big hole to climb out of when his genomic were ran. Took a lot of data to get his EPDs in line with reality.

Latest posts