Production sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Well I'm a little on the fence... I like listening to old men (people) to see what I can learn, and if that means I have to forgive some misspellings then I forgive their misspellings.

On the other hand, being rude doesn't get a person any fans... and it was rude to come to this thread to critique a guy's animals when he's having a production sale and didn't ask for opinions.

And bragging about weaning weights when you have cattle on feed rather than on forage isn't real in the real world. I'd like to know what weights he gets on pasture.

The bull in photo 17.jpeg, didn't see a number on him, is the type, sway back, big tummy, I have a real difficult time
seeing positives in. Maybe if he strengthened the back muscles and did some sit ups. He has the depth, but it is sagging, 🤷‍♀️
3135 is good, I think.

Well I'm a little on the fence... I like listening to old men (people) to see what I can learn, and if that means I have to forgive some misspellings then I forgive their misspellings.

On the other hand, being rude doesn't get a person any fans... and it was rude to come to this thread to critique a guy's animals when he's having a production sale and didn't ask for opinions.

And bragging about weaning weights when you have cattle on feed rather than on forage isn't real in the real world. I'd like to know what weights he gets on pasture.
What are u selling ,pounds right not grass if u cant make money on some feed through ur calf u got the wrong cattle thats all if u buy ur cows from a breeder go back and use his bulls . If u bought ur cows from a sale barn got back to the sale barn and buy ur bulls. buy the best breed the best to get the best save what u got . u cant take and bad cow and try to improve her it dont work.

What are u selling ,pounds right not grass if u cant make money on some feed through ur calf u got the wrong cattle thats all if u buy ur cows from a breeder go back and use his bulls . If u bought ur cows from a sale barn got back to the sale barn and buy ur bulls. buy the best breed the best to get the best save what u got . u cant take and bad cow and try to improve her it dont work.
I sell pounds that make a profit. The financial inputs of supplemental feeds to increase weights before weaning are hard to justify compared to good genetics and good grass.

But someone mentioned making your own thread so we don't hijack this one.

This is exactly why you should start your own thread on this topic. Highjacking Jake's thread isn't the place for it. I do look forward to having this discussion on a thread you start about how to increase pounds and profits with a feed truck and haying equipment.

My preference is a physical catalog. Although the catalog needs to get there in time for the sale. It is more than a little frustrating to get a catalog in the mail the day after a sale.
But there is no substitute for phone calls.
Having the catalogs show up in time is always a worry. I know of a couple producers this year that had hundreds of catalogs get lost in the mail and never even showed up to people.

WHAT DOES MY ENGLISH HAVE TO DO WITH BREEDING CATTLE IM 77YRS OLD AND NOT MUCH SCHOOL IN MY DAY BUT I BREED SOME OF THE BEST BLACK ANGUS IN THE U.S.
You mean you feed some Angus cattle to grow artificially. I doubt your bulls would last the first season here. At 77 you are likely a little set in your ways to see the commercial guys want their cattle to perform on grass in the summer and not be creep fed and feed the cows all summer too.
My calves likely average half what your do in weight unless like many you are speaking of your heaviest and not the average. I bet my input costs are nearly half too.
Whatever floats yer boat….

Sorry Jake for the hijack and best wishes on your sale!

just trying to save him some money and make a cow man out of him ive been doing this for 62 years and it works there is more to it than just buying bulls at a sale why get mad at what im sayin just learn something . my daddy told me when i was a little boy set down between too old men and shut up and learn. if u want too learn more let me know Thanks
First I set down and listen to a 96 y/o cattle man. He has likely forgot more than you know. Just because you are old doesn't mean you are the wisest.
Feeding like you do doesn't work for the commercial breeder. Please start another thread and post pictures of your cattle.

Well that was fun :).

Pics of cattle are a great challenge I find. Just no good way to capture the actual animal. Pics always seem to add or subtract some sway and some rear end. Sway also seems to be something of they can grow into or out of. I think you've done a good job with a tough task here on the pics.

I really need a hard copy. Not sure why. I can't read a book on a computer either :(

Interesting comment re OCC and fertility. I don't run OCC but it's interesting. Maybe I'll start another thread :)

Well that was fun :).

Pics of cattle are a great challenge I find. Just no good way to capture the actual animal. Pics always seem to add or subtract some sway and some rear end. Sway also seems to be something of they can grow into or out of. I think you've done a good job with a tough task here on the pics.

I really need a hard copy. Not sure why. I can't read a book on a computer either :(

Interesting comment re OCC and fertility. I don't run OCC but it's interesting. Maybe I'll start another thread :)
I'm ok with the hijack. Drove some traffic to the thread.

At a recent Brangus breeder's annual production sale, I knew when it was going to be...about the same time ever year... and I knew when they would put information, catalog, videos etc, on the web page. I had already looked at what they had for sale many times, and I did not submit a request for a catalog to be mailed to me. However, at the sale, I picked one up where you registered to bid, and kept it with me during the sale, to wrote down what each animal sold for. I think in today's world, very few people wanted one mailed, but everybody there had one in their hand during the auction, that they picked up when they got there. That was probably a good way to do it: Mail one out to the people that submitted a request for one online, but carry the bulk of them to the sale. They also had available a print out of the sale order, with deletions and substitutions on it, and a print out of each animal's weight..info that wasn't in the catalog.

I'm ok with the hijack. Drove some traffic to the thread.
Jake

I did not mean to high jack anything ive been raising cattle for 62 years have seen alot of people come and go . I get tired of these purebred breeders peddling these bulls off on people that these bull have no reason to be a bull than my cat. The first 10 bulls in the sale might work for somebody but not every body . too keep what u got in ur cows you need to use a bull in the same cow family just because he looks good and brings a lot of money dont make him a breeding bull i get tired of guys getting and cursing the cow buss. because some body talked them into buying a bull that looks good . it would take hours to explain the cow calf thing the way u should operate been there lost 2 farms over buying something i didnt need for get about the bull and put ur time on the cows if u just want a bull to breed cows go to the sale barn thats what ur buying anyway. Those bulls that they showed there ive seen better bulls at a sale barn. DONT WASTE UR MONEY.

Correct all around! If you like a cow say so! If you don't like a cow go to the next thread. No matter the wisdom, I can get it from someone who's not that damned rude

Jake

I did not mean to high jack anything ive been raising cattle for 62 years have seen alot of people come and go . I get tired of these purebred breeders peddling these bulls off on people that these bull have no reason to be a bull than my cat. The first 10 bulls in the sale might work for somebody but not every body . too keep what u got in ur cows you need to use a bull in the same cow family just because he looks good and brings a lot of money dont make him a breeding bull i get tired of guys getting and cursing the cow buss. because some body talked them into buying a bull that looks good . it would take hours to explain the cow calf thing the way u should operate been there lost 2 farms over buying something i didnt need for get about the bull and put ur time on the cows if u just want a bull to breed cows go to the sale barn thats what ur buying anyway. Those bulls that they showed there ive seen better bulls at a sale barn. DONT WASTE UR MONEY.

I've never been one to shy away from criticism, and I appreciate honest feedback on my herd. We operate with some very strict philosophies in building this cowherd that aren't for everyone.

Sorry to hear that you believe I'm wasting peoples money and that our bulls should all be steers. Glad you have a type that is profitable for you.

Jake

Since you are going to run Jake's cattle down once again, I think you should post some pictures of yours so we will know what some real money makers look like. We might learn something.

Correct all around! If you like a cow say so! If you don't like a cow go to the next thread. No matter the wisdom, I can get it from someone who's not that damned rude
WHOES RUDE CALL UR MOMMY AND TELL HER DONT BOTHER ON HERE

WHOES RUDE CALL UR MOMMY AND TELL HER DONT BOTHER ON HERE
I've given you the benefit of the doubt, but coming back to be critical when this thread never asked for criticism... without showing your own when challenged... gives you the weakest hand. Post some pics of your bulls so we can see if you know what you are talking about.

I could be critical of the bulls you are critical of... but I'd like to see yours to compare. Let's take off the gloves and get down to it.

I've given you the benefit of the doubt, but coming back to be critical when this thread never asked for criticism... without showing your own when challenged... gives you the weakest hand. Post some pics of your bulls so we can see if you know what you are talking about.

I could be critical of the bulls you are critical of... but I'd like to see yours to compare. Let's take off the gloves and get down to it.
Another clone?