Wagyu.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
We hauled 20 trailer loads of Wagyu cows and calves home on Friday and Saturday. One 24 foot trailer and 3 20 footers. I don't know how many cows total but Saturday that was 10 loads of cows which is over 100 cows. I don't care how good a Wagyu steak tastes I won't eat one. I would be afraid the stupid would wear off on me. Those have to be the stupidest cows I have ever dealt with. Call me to gather, haul, or work beef cows. But if it is Wagyu....... sorry I am busy.

Wife and I were talking the other day about Wagyu, because she had heard somebody talking about how good the Wagyu beef is.
I jokingly told her we could AI a few cows to Wagyu bulls.
Looked up I think it was ABS Wagyu bulls. I don't think I could bring myself to do it. Not the look I'm going for. Hard to believe far back forty looking cattle are the new thing.

My buddy likes to breed his heifers to Wagyu bulls; he has never had to pull a calf. There were some 600-700 pound three year old bred cows that sold really cheap at last Fridays sale. Maybe they were Wagyu. One sold for $170, and the other two were under $500.

Perhaps they ain't used to you cowboys!
Maybe they need to hear a feed sack and be LED into the trailer.... 😆
They have never heard a feed sack in their life so I am certain that noise would have them running the other way. Maybe pushing them the way you don't want them to go would work. Because if you try to herd them north they will do everything they can to go south. Not only are they ugly no grow critters they are just too dumb to have to deal with.

What breed of Wagyu were they ?
I have no idea. I do know that he does AI, ET, the whole nine yards. Sells bulls to Agribeef by the semi load. They supply bulls to ranchers who raise F-1 calves for them. They finish the calves and ship the meat over seas. They have their own kill plant (1,400 head a day) and one day a week they kill nothing but Wagyu.

Black is Japanese Black
Red/Brown is Japanese Brown or Akaushi.
The other 2 breeds of Wagyu never left Japan.

BLK can be small and kind of ugly.
(no butt) Although we have a few 1500 lb cows and Bulls are around 1800.

Red/brown are much larger on average and Bulls can go 2000 +

I sold a Black bull last year to a terminal ranch for JBS,
they are starting to do the same thing.

Wife and I were talking the other day about Wagyu, because she had heard somebody talking about how good the Wagyu beef is.
I jokingly told her we could AI a few cows to Wagyu bulls.
Looked up I think it was ABS Wagyu bulls. I don't think I could bring myself to do it. Not the look I'm going for. Hard to believe far back forty looking cattle are the new thing.
We tried it. Neighbor had some older Select Sires Wagyu Emori semen. I told him, "I" wouldn't AI them, he had to. Bred 2 heifers, got 2 "steers" in September. They are definitely "different". Have to say though, both calves were up on their feet FAST, and were determined to get to the teat, never fell down. Vigor plus. VERY independent. Always act like they are 'happy to be alive'🤔They also stand out like sore thumbs. Seem longer legged, narrower body, longer, bit narrower, faces. Rough coated compared to the full angus calves, surprisingly wider based than I thought they would be. Jury is still out.

At 6 weeks. He actually looks better in the pic than he does out with the others, heifer milks good.
IMG_9108.jpeg

This is the other one at ~2 months. IMG_9217.jpegVS the full angus at 4 weeks.
IMG_8942.jpeg

I can't argue with you Dave. They are flighty.

They do look a lot better on the plate than they do in the pasture. :)

This topic brings up a question, being that Wagyu cattle are flighty, wouldn't the issue of dark cutters be a concern?

This topic brings up a question, being that Wagyu cattle are flighty, wouldn't the issue of dark cutters be a concern?
Poor word choice maybe. In my experience they aren't wild or mean -- more like Dave said -- stupid -- as in "you see that big open gate, go there, not into the corner with the concrete wall."

Poor word choice maybe. In my experience they aren't wild or mean -- more like Dave said -- stupid -- as in "you see that big open gate, go there, not into the corner with the concrete wall."
That is it in a nut shell. Just walk through that open gate.......

How are Wagyu cows as far as calving, taking care of calves and milking?
It depends. According to B there are some which are terrible mothers. And some lines he says the calves aren't jump up aggressive as new born calves. I have yet to see one that is what I would consider a good milker. And if you don't have a market for them either live or in packages I wouldn't advise using them. Going to the sale with one is a guarantee beating.

Dave, would they be fairly small as three or four year old's? I seen some cows with horns go thru the sale barn last Friday that I think are Wagyu, but I'm not really sure. They had horns that curl up, and they did seem a bit flighty to me, and they were under 700 pounds as 3 or 4 year old's, and they were March/April bred. I have calves that are darn near as heavy as they were. I will have to ask my buddy what they were when I see him next; he is friends with the guy that sold them. He took a beating on them; could have bought all three for under $1000.

Dave, would they be fairly small as three or four year old's? I seen some cows with horns go thru the sale barn last Friday that I think are Wagyu, but I'm not really sure. They had horns that curl up, and they did seem a bit flighty to me, and they were under 700 pounds as 3 or 4 year old's, and they were March/April bred. I have calves that are darn near as heavy as they were. I will have to ask my buddy what they were when I see him next; he is friends with the guy that sold them. He took a beating on them; could have bought all three for under $1000.
The ones B has are bigger than that. They run about 1,000. I don't think any of them make 1,200.

I know a couple years ago I hauled some registered Angus he bought. Eight of them and I could tell I really had a load. The next day I hauled Wagyu cows. Ten of then felt half empty.