My new Wagyu bull

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'm not following you. Who has an inferior product? I raise Angus.
That is quite possibly one of the most ignorant things I've read on here in a long time. Sorry TT, but you're wrong. I can show you bulls from just about any breed that have carcass traits that will meet or beat an average angus on the grid. There ARE really great angus bulls out there but to imply that your product is superior based on a breed choice is not correct.

The key to Waygu is to have it marketed ahead of time. I've had a few neighbors in California bring in Waygu bulls from Idaho to breed english based heifers and do really well with it but the calves were on contract before they were even born. I have yet to see anyone that didn't do it that way not regret it including a few registered breeders but I'm not saying it can't be done.
Something else to consider: The cows can be pretty quiet, but some of the crossbred calves are nuts. One of the worst stompings I've ever seen was from a four weight angus/waygu F1 that about killed the guy. Both parents were quiet, easy to handle cattle. They're fun to rope but some of them are not for the weekend cowboy.

cow pollinater said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
That is quite possibly one of the most ignorant things I've read on here in a long time. Sorry TT, but you're wrong. I can show you bulls from just about any breed that have carcass traits that will meet or beat an average angus on the grid. There ARE really great angus bulls out there but to imply that your product is superior based on a breed choice is not correct.

Start naming them. Provide your source.

cow pollinater said:
Muddy said:
ST(edited)U, for real.
Follow your own advice... for real. I don't care what you think you know, that's not how you speak to a lady. Grow up.

These vulgar acronyms are not acceptable.

Jeanne my apologies for not catching this sooner. This behavior towards a lady will not be tolerated ever.
I don't read ever post had I not been alerted I wouldn't have seen the infraction.
The offensive post with vulgar acronyms have been edited out.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
cow pollinater said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I adjusted across breed EPD's to an Angus base from the Angus association website and did a quick search on the abs websight. I left off red angus as that was just to obvious and about half the lineup would be listed. This is what I came up with in about ten minutes.
In the herefords, Selection, Domino 3027 and both of his sons should perform slightly better than an average angus on the grid.
in Simi bulls, I only looked at higher percentage bulls so that we're not comparing angus influence to angus. Ajax and Beacon marble better than an average angus and yield significantly better.
In Char bulls, Benaiah, Lead Time, and White gold all marble better than an average angus and yield significantly better.
Again, this was a quick search in one catalog. I'm sure I can find more bulls in that same catalog. I can also dig into shorthorns, gelbviehs, etc if needed. It's pretty easy to find.

cow pollinater said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
cow pollinater said:

I adjusted across breed EPD's to an Angus base from the Angus association website and did a quick search on the abs websight. I left off red angus as that was just to obvious and about half the lineup would be listed. This is what I came up with in about ten minutes.
In the herefords, Selection, Domino 3027 and both of his sons should perform slightly better than an average angus on the grid.
in Simi bulls, I only looked at higher percentage bulls so that we're not comparing angus influence to angus. Ajax and Beacon marble better than an average angus and yield significantly better.
In Char bulls, Benaiah, Lead Time, and White gold all marble better than an average angus and yield significantly better.
Again, this was a quick search in one catalog. I'm sure I can find more bulls in that same catalog. I can also dig into shorthorns, gelbviehs, etc if needed. It's pretty easy to find.

Thanks, I'll do that. Hard to believe these other breeds don't have more of a following isn't it?

[/quote]

Thanks, I'll do that. Hard to believe these other breeds don't have more of a following isn't it?
[/quote]
I'm surrounded by cattle on three sides. I can't see a cow from here that is more than half angus based on visual appraisal. In twenty years of selling semen I would guess that around thirty percent of my beef semen sales were angus bulls. With the exception of one commercial customer every one of my customers used more than one breed. I can't speak as to why it's hard to believe because based on my experience other breeds do have quite a following.

For father's day I went to the freezer and grabbed an F1 Wagyu t-bone steak. I got to cook steak and the wife and kids did chores.

When they returned from feeding the cattle they each walked into the house separately and said "It smells GOOD in here. Is that Wagyu steak?"

:)

The best/worst part was my 9-year old son saying, "Yeah! Steak! I need to get the ketchup." Wagyu steak slathered in Heinz.

cow pollinater said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
cow pollinater said:

I appreciate your insight and effort. Thank you

76 Bar said:
cow pollinater said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I appreciate your insight and effort. Thank you

Well I think it's all numbers and bs opinions. From all the independent Georgia beef challenges for carcass grades Angus wins everytime. And in taste testing Angus has always been at or near the top.
http://steakperfection.blogspot.com/2011/03/question-which-breed-tastes-best.html

True Grit Farms said:
Well I think it's all numbers and bs opinions. From all the independent Georgia beef challenges for carcass grades Angus wins everytime. And in taste testing Angus has always been at or near the top.
http://steakperfection.blogspot.com/2011/03/question-which-breed-tastes-best.html

Is this the reference you meant? Not sure it proves Angus are better.

There are no scientifically valid studies that rank the taste of high-quality steak from Simmental, Angus or other breeds. Much more research is required on the relationship between taste scores and cattle breeds.

However, a few studies by some researchers tends to show that abundantly marbled steak from the following eight beef cattle breeds would rank for taste in the following order:
Brahman
Gelbvieh
Limousin
Charolais
Hereford
Simmental
Angus
Red Angus

Until further research is conducted, the accuracy of this and other rankings cannot be verified.

cow pollinater said:
I can show you bulls from just about any breed that have carcass traits that will meet or beat an average angus on the grid. There ARE really great angus bulls out there but to imply that your product is superior based on a breed choice is not correct.
Well yeah when comparing top 10% of other british breeds(top 1% of continental and 0.001% to Zebu) I am sure you can beat an "Average Angus", but when comparing the best with best, you just can't beat an Angus.

Crossbreeding is an entirely different thing.
Wagyu & Charolais = Gyulais

Gyulais beef
19243266_1383027408418416_4690034638223381335_o.jpg

gaurus said:
cow pollinater said:
I can show you bulls from just about any breed that have carcass traits that will meet or beat an average angus on the grid. There ARE really great angus bulls out there but to imply that your product is superior based on a breed choice is not correct.
Well yeah when comparing top 10% of other british breeds(top 1% of continental and 0.001% to Zebu) I am sure you can beat an "Average Angus", but when comparing the best with best, you just can't beat an Angus.
You're making a very common mistake. Marbling is only one factor on the grid. If we're talking about total premiums as the basis for success, then yes, you can beat angus. It helps to have angus in the mix but the industry standard calf is three quarters english, one quarter continental. Carcasses that grade prime have a real bad habit of being YG4 and the discount for YG4 is larger than the premium for prime on most grids. Choice, YG1 or 2 is a much more profitable animal.

cow pollinater said:
gaurus said:
cow pollinater said:
You're making a very common mistake. Marbling is only one factor on the grid. If we're talking about total premiums as the basis for success, then yes, you can beat angus. It helps to have angus in the mix but the industry standard calf is three quarters english, one quarter continental. Carcasses that grade prime have a real bad habit of being YG4 and the discount for YG4 is larger than the premium for prime on most grids. Choice, YG1 or 2 is a much more profitable animal.

I thought we were talking eating experience - quality not profit.

Around here you can go to the butcher and they name their angus beef, Wagyu beef and everything else is just beef. Says a lot right there. Never see simmental or hereford beef. I think speckle park might make an impact moving forward. Personally i would choose murray grey over any other. Red poll is right up there for good eating in taste tests but in my experience i have never found it better than anything else. I will say any Brahman i have had has not been much to talk about. I have tried many but not all breeds.

True Grit Farms said:
cow pollinater said:
gaurus said:

I thought we were talking eating experience - quality not profit.

Won't be much of a eating experience for a lot of people without profit.

So this is an F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak (hopefully viewable below) This was from a Heifer. Slaughtered at 21 months of age. Traditional Wagyu/Kobe beef is slaughtered at 30+ months of age. Females are valued higher than steers (As I understand).

Cow Pollinator makes a great point about Yield Grade and Marbling Grade. I'm actually planning on getting my own livestock scale just to help me better manage Yield Grade and over fattening/feed waste.

Latest posts