My new Wagyu bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Stickney94 said:
So this is an F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak (hopefully viewable below) This was from a Heifer.
seems like the Wagyu/Charolais seems to be larger and with as much if not more marbling?

gaurus said:
Stickney94 said:
So this is an F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak (hopefully viewable below) This was from a Heifer.
seems like the Wagyu/Charolais seems to be larger and with as much if not more marbling?

I would say the marbling for the Charlois is easily equal and visually looks like more. Would be interesting to know age of slaughter of that animal.

Size -- impossible to compare without a ruler in the photo or side by side. That is one of my issues with sale catalogs and videos for production sales. Without a point of reference you can make very disparate animals appear the same size.

Stickney94 said:
So this is an F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak (hopefully viewable below) This was from a Heifer. Slaughtered at 21 months of age. Traditional Wagyu/Kobe beef is slaughtered at 30+ months of age. Females are valued higher than steers (As I understand).

Cow Pollinator makes a great point about Yield Grade and Marbling Grade. I'm actually planning on getting my own livestock scale just to help me better manage Yield Grade and over fattening/feed waste.

I'd pick the bottom steak myself, but I'm sure both would be fine eating.

ALACOWMAN said:
Though I agree with your post ...I just don't think it's worth the trouble to breed in different directions to make a animal that's been bred for a certain trait like the Wagyu, too be visually appealing to the folks that just want one to look like the mom and pop beef cow.. Old salesman once told me they had to ad a dye to a ""clear"""soap cleaner they sold, because folks wouldn't buy it..thought it wouldn't work,or be strong enough because it looked clear as water..
i heard that is why vacuum cleaners are so loud. they made them quieter and even though they worked just as well nobody thought they did.

NonTypicalCPA said:
Updating this thread with a few new pics of our bull.
He's doing well and has been a good boy to work with.

Since this seems to be "The Wagyu" post, I'll update that... if you read the 12 page Australian
research report on the lowline thread you'll see on page 9 Wagyu efficiency on grass finished
4th of 7 breeds in producing carcass pounds per acre.
Ahead of Hereford, Shorthorn and Simmental. (Certainly better than I expected.)

Unfortunately due to low dressing % Wagyu need a 19.2% carcass premium to reach average $ produced.
ie: If finished steers sell for 1.20 lw you need to get 1.43 lw
or if boxed beef is 2.20 lb then 2.62 lb is needed for wagyu.

Somehow I missed a lot on this thread.
And for the record - I was not offended earlier.

Redgully said:
Around here you can go to the butcher and they name their angus beef, Wagyu beef and everything else is just beef. Says a lot right there. Never see simmental or hereford beef. I think speckle park might make an impact moving forward. Personally i would choose murray grey over any other. Red poll is right up there for good eating in taste tests but in my experience i have never found it better than anything else. I will say any Brahman i have had has not been much to talk about. I have tried many but not all breeds.

At our stores, you pretty much only see ANGUS meat identified = Certified Angus Beef.
BUT - that beef in the store or restaurant MAY be my Simmental cattle or anyone else's cattle that has a black hide and meets the qualifications to be CAB.

USDA grading (select, choice, prime) supersedes breed on any labeling.
The only hamburger in grocery stores if breed labeled that I can recall is Angus or Wagyu.
Otherwise I just assume it's from a Holstein cull cow.

Here are some of my buddies calves out of our bull. Dam's are Red Devon. He calved his 9 in a 37 day window. 6 heifers and 3 bulls.

Stickney94 said:
F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak.... from a Heifer. Slaughtered at 21 months of age.

gaurus said:
the Wagyu x Charolais seems to be larger...
The Wagyu x Charolais steak is marked as weighing 14.4 oz but the Wagyu x Angus steak has
a much closer trim, so maybe, but I don't know which is larger.

It takes a heck of an eye to tell if the top steak weighs more or less than 14.4 oz from a photo.
The Wagyu x Charolais steak is certified McNeese State University Beef... but not graded.
Why?
When I zoom in, it appears to me it would easily grade prime.

gaurus said:
19243266_1383027408418416_4690034638223381335_o.jpg
Enlarged photo gives a better view of the marbling.

My first two calves hit the ground. Compared to my belties they're a little longer legged, with a bit more ear. The Wagyu bull is breaking up the belt but not taking it away. Calves came unassisted and healthy, so off to a good start.

NonTypicalCPA said:
My first two calves hit the ground.
Compared to my belties they're a little longer legged, with a bit more ear.
The Wagyu bull is breaking up the belt but not taking it away.
Calves came unassisted and healthy, so off to a good start.
I don't know if Kimonos come with belts.
Maybe he'll convert them from belted to wearing suspenders. :)

Here are some updated pics of my bull. Just got him back from my buddies place last weekend. He'll be 3 in January. Still no arse but I like him! :lol2: