Angus bull thoughts.

Help Support CattleToday:

Average price of a live Angus Beef cow would be wat? Me and my brother are at each others necks about this. Is it 2 to 3 dollars or 5 to 6. Please let me know the answer...

Top 90 bulls in AAA Sire search for $B.

All express WW of +49 or higher. But the CED is all over the board. A search for top $B does not eliminate options for calving ease if that is a sales point for customers. Lot of variation in $E but the majority are negative, as expected. Afterall $B is a terminal type selection index. The Southern Charm bull that has been mentioned is an anomaly with maybe the lowest MH and MW for this group of 90. To round out the discussion that has been on going for days, there are 2 SAV bulls of the 90.

$B takes into consideration any discount for heavyweight carcasses.
I would need a guru to explain this statement from the AAA. Do you just harvest them when they reach a max weight or is there expectation that some factors such as YW or MW will automatically kick in a HW discount?

Still does not prevent a line of mostly maternal and moderate growth commercial or Angus cattle from producing valuable steers. Just breed them to a high $B bull or a high growth bull of another breed.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
************* said:
It's boring around here without Ron. He should not have been banned.

I'm thinking it's time for me to check out for a while, even though I'm not banned.

I guess I didn't try hard enough. LOL!

See you all later.

Goodbye James. Come back in 9 days please.
Adios Branded. BTW while on hiatus, don't feed your cattle straight corn unless you've slowly worked them up to it over a period of many weeks.. Look up acute acidosis.. It's a killer (don't ask me how I know)!

************* said:

I'm thinking it's time for me to check out for a while, even though I'm not banned.

See you all later.

I must have missed it. When, why was Ron banned? Been fighting the mud so much I haven't been checking all the threads as much. Do a little then get tired and have to get some sleep so I can wade through the mud again.

farmerjan said:
************* said:

See you all later.

I must have missed it. When, why was Ron banned? Been fighting the mud so much I haven't been checking all the threads as much. Do a little then get tired and have to get some sleep so I can wade through the mud again.

For being Ron lol

Muddy said:
farmerjan said:
************* said:

See you all later.

For being Ron lol
[/quote

If by Ron you mean Bright Raven it is my understanding he is taking a well deserved respite from Cattle Today to tend to his ever-growing boutique cattle multiplying operation in his once beautiful but now mud filled home state of Kentucky.

There seems to be a segment of participants on the boards who insist that Bright Raven and Blue Dawg are one in the same. I'm of the opinion they are two different individuals. It would be helpful if the moderators could shed some light on that situation the same way they did when another fine member was accused of posting under a pseudonym few weeks ago.

Have a great day farmerjan and I hope you dry out soon.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
If by Ron you mean Bright Raven it is my understanding he is taking a well deserved respite from Cattle Today to tend to his ever-growing boutique cattle multiplying operation in his once beautiful but now mud filled home state of Kentucky.

There seems to be a segment of participants on the boards who insist that Bright Raven and Blue Dawg are one in the same. I'm of the opinion they are two different individuals. It would be helpful if the moderators could shed some light on that situation the same way they did when another fine member was accused of posting under a pseudonym few weeks ago.

Have a great day farmerjan and I hope you dry out soon.

I don't believe Raven and bluedawg or the same. Nearly positive their not.

True Grit Farms said:
I think blue dawg is a clown.

Actually Grit, he was very clear about being a troll. Hide from the sun and eat billy goats troll or another type, i do not know. I enjoy his posts regardless.

I have actually seen the bull in the Flesh. I was in Scotland in 2017? and attended the Dunlouise Angus sale. They breed "Traditional" Angus - no outside pedigrees from other countries. The cattle are certainly smaller and thus easier fleshing in their environment. I did notice quite a bit of variability in size with the cattle I saw, but the type was similar regardless. I think it is tough to find new? old genetics to use in the program as they have been relying on finding old semen and there were very few cows of pure Angus breeding left to start their program.

The bull himself had a lot of natural thickness and muscle shape (more than he shows in the pic) regardless of the condition he was carrying. Thought he could've moved a bit cleaner, but probably a function of the muscle he had. Saddle Butte Ranch from Montana bought him and there is semen available world wide on him (bull stayed in UK and was collected there).

I have also been to the Ranch in Montana a couple times just to see what the Scottish cattle looked like in more of a working ranch environment. Harrison O'Connor who owns the ranch was heavy into the Wye Angus breeding and then moved into the Pinebank genetics from New Zealand which are both very likely pure UK breeding as well. Now he is converting his entire program over to the Dunlouise program cattle using AI and also bringing in embryos. The cattle seem to work for him.

And Silver I have to disagree; I love my Angus cows and wouldn't trade them for any other breed, and I have had experience with plenty of others. I do think the commercial industry needs to a better job of cross breeding to capture vigour and yield though - getting to be too many pure Angus commercial herds.

Willow Springs said:
And Silver I have to disagree; I love my Angus cows and wouldn't trade them for any other breed, and I have had experience with plenty of others. I do think the commercial industry needs to a better job of cross breeding to capture vigour and yield though - getting to be too many pure Angus commercial herds.

You lost me, what are we disagreeing about?

I can just about promise that in a low input real world ranch environment his calves will outgrow the big name bull of the month calves. I've seen that happen many times.

Silver in your original post you had something about not being an Angus fan.

Here is the bulls info - just a pedigree - no EPD's because there arn't any calves yet and probably no DNA done other than parentage? I wouldn't expect big numbers though because none of the other Dunlouise bulls were.

Dunlouise Newman S615 Reg: AAA 18874876
[ AMF-CAF-DDF-NHF ]
Birth Date: 04/26/2016

Willow Springs said:
Silver in your original post you had something about not being an Angus fan.

Here is the bulls info - just a pedigree - no EPD's because there arn't any calves yet and probably no DNA done other than parentage? I wouldn't expect big numbers though because none of the other Dunlouise bulls were.

Dunlouise Newman S615 Reg: AAA 18874876
[ AMF-CAF-DDF-NHF ]
Birth Date: 04/26/2016

Thank you.

I would like to see an Angus Source test on him. I'm pretty sure he would have high DMI and $EN, probably well above average HP.

Latest posts