Angus bull thoughts.

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
I was thinking about all the "advancements" in breeding, and all the super new bulls out there as a result of it. I've never made it a secret that I'm not the worlds biggest fan of Angus, but this bull does look pretty good to me. Wrong colour, sadly.
Thoughts?

1346.jpg

Silver said:
I was thinking about all the "advancements" in breeding, and all the super new bulls out there as a result of it. I've never made it a secret that I'm not the worlds biggest fan of Angus, but this bull does look pretty good to me. Wrong colour, sadly.
Thoughts?

1346.jpg

That's a pretty picture.
I would prefer to see a bull with his work clothes on and pick one of his progeny from that. Feed sack can cover up a lot.
As my old uncle used to say everything looks good fat cept your hunting dog or girl.

76 Bar said:
Looks like the old foundation type from Scotland. I concur...wrong color. ;-)

Impressive :tiphat: Ireland actually. His daddy hasn't walked the earth for 50 years. I thought it was interesting and thought provoking.

lithuanian farmer said:
Silver said:
76 Bar said:
Looks like the old foundation type from Scotland. I concur...wrong color. ;-)

Impressive :tiphat: Ireland actually. His daddy hasn't walked the earth for 50 years. I thought it was interesting and thought provoking.

Actually the breeder lives in Scotland. :)

It turns out you are absolutely correct!

Well durn it I missed his origins by a few miles. :lol2:
Sad state of affairs when motion and commotion is h*ll bent to bastardize the original goodness of each respective breed thinking they're gonna reinvent the wheel. Forgone conclusion any reds he might have produced weren't classified as defective. :roll:

Silver said:
What's the problem with the white?
And yes, would be nice to see the scrotum, wish I could find a better picture.
nothing wrong with the white, with what you'd be doing especially ..where he's from probably be consistent too..

76 Bar said:
Well durn it I missed his origins by a few miles. :lol2:
Sad state of affairs when motion and commotion is h*ll bent to bastardize the original goodness of each respective breed thinking they're gonna reinvent the wheel. Forgone conclusion any reds he might have produced weren't classified as defective. :roll:

No, looks like you were right and I was wrong! Scotland was the right answer. And ya, that was kind of the point of posting this picture. 50 years later with all the promotion commotion and emotion has the breed actually improved? Is it going in the right direction?

Edit: Only in the good ole USA do the angus folks consider black a different breed from red.

ALACOWMAN said:
Silver said:
What's the problem with the white?
And yes, would be nice to see the scrotum, wish I could find a better picture.
nothing wrong with the white, with what you'd be doing especially ..where he's from probably be consistent too..

As I understand it that white is not in a spot that would preclude him from registration.

I'm very surprised by the comments here.

People I speak with have growth concerns about Angus, and that is why they cross with other breeds.

My hunch on this bull is that if he was genomic tested with Angus Source, that his EPD profile would show very high $EN and DMI, his Marb might be at breed average or below, and all the traits that would make really nice steers $B, RADG, WW, would be bottom 90%

As for efficiency on grass he would definitely be low input.

He is aesthetically pleasing to look at, but the crowd on CT would be throwing him under the bus once they saw the performance of his progeny. Especially average daily gain.

Just my opinion, I could be dead wrong, would like to see his AAA or corresponding association number in Scotland to see how close my assessment is.

Hoover Dam would run circles around this bull in overall performance and accuracy.

With that said, the old lines are fun to explore.

Time will tell. You may be right. He lives in Montana and has semen available if you want to try " going against the crowd" which you claim to be quite fond of.

Latest posts