Angus bull thoughts.

Help Support CattleToday:

Branded your trying to run a SAV operation in a Kentucky market. You may or may not make that work. Myself I get a lot more out of seeing my prefix 3 deep in a pedigree of cattle that will get it done anywhere.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Branded your trying to run a SAV operation in a Kentucky market. You may or may not make that work. Myself I get a lot more out of seeing my prefix 3 deep in a pedigree of cattle that will get it done anywhere.

First off, SAV is just a portion of what I use.

Who is saying my cattle don't "get it done"?

Unless you know something I don't, my cattle perform.

I have some grandsons and great grandsons if you are in the market?

Rydero said:
************* said:
I will parse that out over the year for you.

Please tell me one sale in KY where a SAV President son was available. Where? Lot's of Cowboy Up's but no Presidents.

Please don't.

Nobody cares but you. Wow you think you might have the only President son's born in the 14th largest cattle producing state. Have a parade and see if anyone shows up. Shame on the internet for giving you a platform for your endless SAV fanboyism.
That was a pretty funny response. I was thinking the same thing, having the first of something mean really nothing, especially with AI studs. And I don't understand the affinity with President, maybe the reason no one had President progeny, is they don't think he's as good as other bulls available. Cowboy Up just might be better. My goodness Branded take it easy, I'm afraid you're going to have a stroke one of these days. You fight with people every day, taking stuff out of context and reading things never posted. As you read this you thought, Creek is bagging on President, called him crap. No I'm not, I'm suggesting other breeders may not like the bull or pedigree, they don't see his value like you do. I respect your love for the industry, but please slow your roll, just a tad. And by the way, I would love if in the future you to post a picture of your President progeny, not so we can be critical, but so we can see what you like so much about the sire, hopefully the majority of us are here to learn and see what's working for others. Posting a picture is obviously way beyond my pay grade, I still can't figure it out.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Wrong color wrong breed for me Branded. That's why I don't care about what you have. Putting butts on angus cows calves is my job.

You didn't see this butt pic?

[image]206[/image]

************* said:
I go under our real name on here. What's the "real" name of your operation? Or others on here that criticize me. I could have always started an account under some silly name and posted anonymously, but I didn't .
Which makes it odd that you have refused or ignored several inquiries about your age. I believe you cited security concerns as being why you have refused to give your age but your name is in your username.. :roll:

Lazy M said:
************* said:
I go under our real name on here. What's the "real" name of your operation? Or others on here that criticize me. I could have always started an account under some silly name and posted anonymously, but I didn't .
Which makes it odd that you have refused or ignored several inquiries about your age. I believe you cited security concerns as being why you have refused to give your age but your name is in your username.. :roll:
BTW I believe I've posted it before, but that is a very nice looking young bull calf.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Nothing can be tracked by knowing someone's age. Date of birth on the other hand...

It's called "social engineering" it's far easier than you might think. Scary in fact.

Lazy M said:
Lazy M said:
************* said:
BTW I believe I've posted it before, but that is a very nice looking young bull calf.

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment

************* said:

[image]206[/image]
If I had a calf with no butt and crap for feet that's exactly how I'd take his picture. I'm not saying that's the case but you sure didn't show us much.

Next time I'll make sure and use a telephoto zoom lens and if possible take him in for a foot X-ray at the animal hospital, then I will get the results to you right away so you can give us all your expert analysis. LOL!

You talk like your cattle have reached perfection.

************* said:
Next time I'll make sure and use a telephoto zoom lens and if possible take him in for a foot X-ray at the animal hospital, then I will get the results to you right away so you can give us all your expert analysis. LOL!

No need to go to such extremes. I'm easy to please. How about instead just getting a decent picture where I can see that he's going to be sound in a couple of years since that seems to be a real problem that I see in herds that chase $B. I'd also like to see his butt since he doesn't really seem to have one in that picture.
Pictures like that really reinforce my thinking that you really don't know what you're doing.
As for my own cattle: for the first time in a couple of decades, I don't own any.

************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
Wrong color wrong breed for me Branded. That's why I don't care about what you have. Putting butts on angus cows calves is my job.

[image]206[/image]

Angus and butt. Two words that don't naturally flow off the tongue to well when used in the same sentence.

cow pollinater said:
************* said:

No need to go to such extremes. I'm easy to please. How about instead just getting a decent picture where I can see that he's going to be sound in a couple of years since that seems to be a real problem that I see in herds that chase $B. I'd also like to see his butt since he doesn't really seem to have one in that picture.
Pictures like that really reinforce my thinking that you really don't know what you're doing.
As for my own cattle: for the first time in a couple of decades, I don't own any.

If he had been in green grass or straw I would have been told I was not running a "hardcore herd"

I thought by showing my cattle in "real world environments" I would avoid the wrath of the critics on CT

I will get you some better photos soon, from multiple angles, he is the real deal.

Maybe a video would be better?

Branded; I am just a commercial, mixed group of cows, breeder that needs the cows to calve yearly and produce decent saleable feeders. We do not have near the nice calves that some of the others on here do. I do a little AI, and we do try to buy good sound functional purebred bulls to use. We run a fair number of cows and have many smaller rented places where we have a bull with the cows at each. We try to do some rotational grazing where ever we have the fences to do it. I have some dairy influenced cattle and have a a few jersey and guernsey cows that I milk and raise calves on as nurse cows.
I think you are getting way too bent out of shape on some of the comments some of the others make. You jump up and have to have the last word everytime, when someone makes some comments that you should just let roll off your back. You don't need to get your back up so much. It is nice that you are so passionate about your cattle. And God bless you that you are trying stuff that many others would not/do not do. But you don't need to make a snarky comment to everything that others say. The one that wanted to see the feet and a different angle of his butt was just asking for that. You take your answers to extreme, and get sarcastic back.

This is just my observation from reading and following some of the threads. You obviously do have some knowledge and are using it the way you see fit. I personally don't know or care about some of the bloodlines you keep spouting off. They might be the next best thing for the angus breed. But, unless there is the market for that, and there isn't here in this part of Va for the average commercial breeder, we care about calves that are sound functional and uniform. That is harder when you have a mixed herd of cows. So prepotency in the bull is of greater interest, and then ability to function on grass, and fescue is a big factor here.

We specifically bought a bull last year, from a farm that advertises and promotes their animals abilities to produce on fescue. He is in with about 35 cows and we will see what we get out of the cows and how the calves do. If there are females that seem to do good, they will be retained. We need bulls that do not get creep feed and can grow on their momma's milk. Yes we feed once they are weaned. I do a little creep feeding, twice a week of about 1-2 lbs grain to the calves on the first calf heifers, to teach them to come into the pen so they are more handleable. But we don't creep feed per se. Cows do not get fed grain except as a treat once a week or so. Keeps them coming to call, makes it easier to handle them when they come in and we don't have to chase them. A couple of 5 gal buckets of feed to 20-40 cows is not exactly "feeding them". We cull out the ones that cannot keep their weight, and the ones that raise mediocre or worse, crappy calves. By the time we are ready to wean calves, they are ready to come in the pens with their momma's and know what some feed is for. And they will go right to the bunk once weaned.

I am glad that there are people who raise purebred cattle, and produce some bulls for sale. We need them. But many of us are not interested in the "next best" or the first of this bloodline in this area. We want animals that have some background behind them, as having fathers, sons, brothers, that have produced under our area conditions. Us little guys who are not going to spend 10-50,000 for a bull, but have a budget of 2-5,000 and want a bull that is going to be around for a good number of years. And yes, when we buy a bull, he hopefully will be here for an average of 5-8 years.

farmerjan said:
Branded; I am just a commercial, mixed group of cows, breeder that needs the cows to calve yearly and produce decent saleable feeders. We do not have near the nice calves that some of the others on here do. I do a little AI, and we do try to buy good sound functional purebred bulls to use. We run a fair number of cows and have many smaller rented places where we have a bull with the cows at each. We try to do some rotational grazing where ever we have the fences to do it. I have some dairy influenced cattle and have a a few jersey and guernsey cows that I milk and raise calves on as nurse cows.
I think you are getting way too bent out of shape on some of the comments some of the others make. You jump up and have to have the last word everytime, when someone makes some comments that you should just let roll off your back. You don't need to get your back up so much. It is nice that you are so passionate about your cattle. And God bless you that you are trying stuff that many others would not/do not do. But you don't need to make a snarky comment to everything that others say. The one that wanted to see the feet and a different angle of his butt was just asking for that. You take your answers to extreme, and get sarcastic back.

This is just my observation from reading and following some of the threads. You obviously do have some knowledge and are using it the way you see fit. I personally don't know or care about some of the bloodlines you keep spouting off. They might be the next best thing for the angus breed. But, unless there is the market for that, and there isn't here in this part of Va for the average commercial breeder, we care about calves that are sound functional and uniform. That is harder when you have a mixed herd of cows. So prepotency in the bull is of greater interest, and then ability to function on grass, and fescue is a big factor here.

We specifically bought a bull last year, from a farm that advertises and promotes their animals abilities to produce on fescue. He is in with about 35 cows and we will see what we get out of the cows and how the calves do. If there are females that seem to do good, they will be retained. We need bulls that do not get creep feed and can grow on their momma's milk. Yes we feed once they are weaned. I do a little creep feeding, twice a week of about 1-2 lbs grain to the calves on the first calf heifers, to teach them to come into the pen so they are more handleable. But we don't creep feed per se. Cows do not get fed grain except as a treat once a week or so. Keeps them coming to call, makes it easier to handle them when they come in and we don't have to chase them. A couple of 5 gal buckets of feed to 20-40 cows is not exactly "feeding them". We cull out the ones that cannot keep their weight, and the ones that raise mediocre or worse, crappy calves. By the time we are ready to wean calves, they are ready to come in the pens with their momma's and know what some feed is for. And they will go right to the bunk once weaned.

I am glad that there are people who raise purebred cattle, and produce some bulls for sale. We need them. But many of us are not interested in the "next best" or the first of this bloodline in this area. We want animals that have some background behind them, as having fathers, sons, brothers, that have produced under our area conditions. Us little guys who are not going to spend 10-50,000 for a bull, but have a budget of 2-5,000 and want a bull that is going to be around for a good number of years. And yes, when we buy a bull, he hopefully will be here for an average of 5-8 years.

I appreciate your comment and will take it to heart.

It sounds like you are doing a good job with things, I always like to see people take good care of their animals.

As for performance. Our farm is not a show place, it looks more like one of those training grounds where they beat up test vehicles. Our cattle deal with some harsh terrain, as Ron aka Bright Raven can attest to. We deal with fescue as well, and if you will PM me, I will tell you everything we are doing to combat the issue.

I'm not breeding trendy bulls, otherwise I would have bred everything I have to Cowboy Up and would be reaping the benefits right now. I'm breeding in order to get the best dams in the business into my herd via AI. That's not a trendy thing. Curve benders and golf all day, sleep all night, is trendy.

We don't creep feed, but we do take excellent care of the mommas so they can complete their main job which is to wean off a big strong, healthy calf, then breed back in a reasonable amount of time. I think we have that part figured out.

If you are ever serious about buying a bull, PM me and I will work with you on something that is high quality and will work with you on the price.

I can give you multiple references of people that have bought from me, they too were looking for exactly what you have described above.

Latest posts