Which one do we keep? We made a decision!

Help Support CattleToday:

Wild Cattle":1u1t6g7x said:
I think we need another picture......If I am miss reading the photo I will say so.

There are a lot of good bulls out there...the one thing that sets them apart is leg quality and it is oftem over looked by younger cattlemen.

I have been looking at legs on cattle for 30 years....Because it takes generations to un-do what can be done in one.

Here is a couple more pics

029.JPG

030.JPG

Wild Cattle":fy3h5dor said:
I think we need another picture......If I am miss reading the photo I will say so.

There are a lot of good bulls out there...the one thing that sets them apart is leg quality and it is
  • oftem over looked by younger cattlemen

I have been looking at legs on cattle for 30 years....Because it takes generations to un-do what can be done in one.
a veteran should'nt need mutiple pictures to spot problems area's if he has seen enough and been around in his or her time to pick out problem area's.... .. i got a twenty says im older than you :p

ALACOWMAN...I don't want to lose a 20...I am 45 years old.

That pics makes them look better, I would still like them to be straighter.

I our programs, correst legs are at the top of the list, so I am real picky about them.

At least ya'll might look at them alittle closer now, after this thread, that was my intent.

Wild Cattle":1x3ye3z1 said:
ALACOWMAN...I don't want to lose a 20...
  • I am 45 years old.

I our programs, correst legs are at the top of the list, so I am real picky about them.

At least ya'll might look at them alittle closer now, after this thread, that was my intent.
45 ! why im old enough to be you'r......older brother :lol: 48. unless there is something special about em that catch's my eye for a moment.. i always start at the ground and go up

Rule of thumb for me. When the bull or cow is standing square if the back of the hoof is at or ahead of the front of the hock joint they are to crooked "for me". That trait leads to other undersirable things, high flank, high tail head, back at knees, lack of hip, and unsoundness.

I think its important, and its very hard to reverse when it gets into your cow herd.

Jovid said:
Just brought home three bulls from the bull test and would like some input on which one to keep.

701a.jpg

703.JPG

705.JPG

Thanks
Jovid-

"Which One do we keep?"

In addressing this question, we must FIRST consider the "BASIC TENETS of PURPOSE".

1- For what purposes is he to be used, other than impregnating cows?

2- What are the Genetic Traits and Characteristics of the cow(s) to which he will be mated?

3- Are his calves going to be finished out as Terminal Feeders, or primarily used as replacement HEIFERS for the breeding cow
herd?

If you were buying a truck (forget the 'breed'), would your purposes require your considering a half-ton pick-up, or a cross-country Semi-Tractor? As a friend of mine would say, "You don't use a tack hammer to drive a Railroad Spike! :shock: :lol2: " (He was NOT referring to trucks!) The same prinicple applys to Bull selection. The purposes for which you plan to utilize him will dictate what Characteristics, Genetic Traits and Functional factors you must consider.

Some of the answers to this question by members of the Forum specify certain "single trait" characteristics ('crooked legs' for example) as being reprehensible enough to completely eliminate one bull from consideration. Go back to the "BASIC TENETS of PURPOSE" and carefully differentiate your resolve for your Bull. Your discernment of TENET No. 1 will dictate your decisions concerning Nos. 2 and 3.

Now - let's return to your three bulls and your original question - "Which One Do We Keep?" After answering Tenets 1,2,and 3, you must balance your judgement by concentrating on Genotype (EPD's), Phenotype (general looks and appearance), Functional Traits (skeletal structure - sound feet, legs, shoulders, spine, scrotal development, disposition and fleshing ability). All of these tasks may seem laborious and perhaps unnecessary - - but - IF one is serious about his Beef Cattle Production business, BULL SELECTION is JOB ONE!.

Insofar as my opinion is concerned - and after taking the above factors into consideration - Bull No. 3 is the winner, with his faults and weaknesses being noted for future bull selection in order to improve upon his negative characteristics with heifer replacements - legs being one of them from strictly a Phenotypic point of view. My judgement does NOT take into consideration his EPD's - they're not being known at this juncture. And the pictures are not extensive enough to fully consider any of the bulls' Functional Traits.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and input. I will review what has been said plus like Doc suggests review their EPDs and make a decision.

Thanks again

Jovid

What always amazes me is how people on this board can see a picture and form opinions so easy, and god knows why anyone would take their advice. I usually pass on picking animals from pictures , In this case I like #1 , #3 got the butt, and #2 looks good.. But there is this Butt thing on this board, big Butts = big ribeyes , I do not know if it is true..

Pictures never do an animal justice..... #3 is a beefier bull and then #1 would be my 2nd pick..... just based on pictures.
But you know what they look like in real life........ is #3 a little shorter length than #1? He appears to be, but that may be an illusion.

Its always nice to see pretty red polls. We bred Buster to some of the commercial cows in February and on May 20th we'll take him over to the home place and breed the red polls.... am looking forward to seeing some of his babies. Nine months seems like a longgggg time when you're anxious to see the cross.

Nine months seems like a longgggg time when you're anxious to see the cross.

I have been joking for quite a while that my next breeding venture will be rabbits! :lol:

I like the body mass od #3 but he looks a bit sickle hocked, might just be the way he was standing for the pic?

Wild Cattle":1ahil71k said:
ALACOWMAN...I don't want to lose a 20...I am 45 years old.

Oh boy, I hope you are joking.

That bull has correct angulation in the hind legs, shown clearly in the new photos.

If you are selecting for straighter legs you are heading for trouble.

It is under-angulated bulls which break down quicker than over-angulated bulls. Simple physics -- greater angle, greater 'give' for suspension when he is walking, bearing all his bully weight and mounting cows. Knersie is right about a little over-angled is far far better than under-angled.

By your own criteria "When the bull or cow is standing square if the back of the hoof is at or ahead of the front of the hock joint they are to crooked "for me". ", this bull has no problems.

All nice bulls Jovid, but 1 and 2 just dont compete with 3. Which was the best at the trial? In my experience the best looking ones do average and the scrubby looking ones do the best :lol:

ID go with #3 and #1. Don't do it Knersie them rabbits will overwhelm you adn take over. I had rabbits for a little while. I started off with 1doe. Then i got a buck. Then i had about 12, solda bunch and kept a few back and gota different buck. Then i had somewhere around 30 rabbits 2 yrs later. I was selling off theones i didn't want and keeping the ones i wanted and aiming for size and color. I had some interesting rabbits let me tell you. Some looked like jackrabbits and others were orange with black and brown spots. Also had some black and white ones. I decided to sell them all one day at an exotic sale and i ahd them in a small broder coop runnign around and some in cages. It took me a while to catch some of them little buggers because they wanted nothing to do with me. I had to set up some small hog panels to catch all of them and then it turned out i had one more rabbit than i knew i had in there.

ALACOWMAN":dkgiimce said:
KNERSIE":dkgiimce said:
Nine months seems like a longgggg time when you're anxious to see the cross.

I have been joking for quite a while that my next breeding venture will be rabbits! :lol:
rabbits are way too sickle hocked for me

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

We have decided to keep # 3 ans sell the other two.

One of the deciding factors was the fact that he has a 17.05 rib eye at 12 months of age. So yes he is as thick as he looks. :D :D

Thanks for all the comments

Latest posts