Everyone has one..

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
A favorite cow.. just a cow that looks the part and plays the part..

Here is mine. 6 yr old Sydgen Black Diamond daughter. Calving interval 365 days, weaning ratio 4 calves at 108 ratio, one daughter was sold as a bred heifer, just weaned her second calf at a 114 ratio. Last daughter weaned was 2nd heaviest heifer calf on the place this year. The 707 cow is docile, looks great and is due again to the AI date, that would make her 5 for 5 on Timed AI protocol.

What is your favorite..

I had a Santa Gertrudis cow that was too damn smart. We'd go to town or wake up in the morning and find "deposits" on the lawn around the house, and all the cows in the pasture. I finally caught her tip toeing through the cattle guard. She didn't raise the biggest calf on the place but she was pretty, and friendly without being pushy. She'd be the first to park her calf next to me when I was out irrigating and taking a break with my book. I always took that as a compliment.

Here is mine. 6 yr old Sydgen Black Diamond daughter. Calving interval 365 days, weaning ratio 4 calves at 108 ratio, one daughter was sold as a bred heifer, just weaned her second calf at a 114 ratio. Last daughter weaned was 2nd heaviest heifer calf on the place this year. The 707 cow is docile, looks great and is due again to the AI date, that would make her 5 for 5 on Timed AI protocol.

What is your favorite..
If she was in my field she'd be my favorite too. Very good cow.

I thought she was still growing. Her hips are higher than her shoulders and the tail isn't touching the ground. But I guess she is mature since she's 6 years old.

This is Old Brindle, she's around 11 years old. I don't remember exactly when I bought her, but she came in a group of 500 lb Hereford X heifers at a Hereford influence sale. There were a couple braford type heifers in the group, not sure exactly what she is whether she is too, or if she has some longhorn in her.
She is always one of the first to calve and always raises a big calf. There's no easy way to get around her calf for a couple of weeks, as she will flat out get you. She's otherwise real calm and gentle but not when she has a new calf. I've sold some of her heifers and kept some. The ones I've kept have been a roll of the dice though, a couple have turned out great and are calf raising cows like her and then a couple I've culled out after they calved because they didn't work out. She has a brindle steer calf this year,
A9B7FCFF-94FB-427D-8709-B25D853E49E6.jpeg14A32691-31D5-4799-B9DF-7FFD139F61F0.jpeg
82C34120-857E-424C-A621-C59BD9DA66CB.jpeg

Moses,
She was on a slight hill. She weighed 1475# when we weaned her calf in May.. She is probably 1550 or 1600 today..

Probably more proud of her first daughter. When sold her as a bred heifer, told the buyer we would calve her and the other two out and deliver them. When we delivered them her calf was the best of the three calves, but somehow he died over the winter.. The other two calves brought the owner $8000 and $3750 as yearling bulls. I was happy to hear her second calf did so well for him. He bought them all to put embryos in.. so this might be her last natural calf.

I'll put the cart before the horse. Here is a photo of last years calf. She has recently calved her 8th calf, a heifer. Her calf will always be the heaviest or 2nd heaviest at weaning whether a bull or a heifer but they don't fall in a heap after weaning they continue to grow as one of the most impressive of their year group. She, herself is probably a bit of a plain Jane and does not stand out but her calves are usually the pick of the bunch. I'll get a photo of her tomorrow.

KenP1030460.JPG

I'll put the cart before the horse. Here is a photo of last years calf. She has recently calved her 8th calf, a heifer. Her calf will always be the heaviest or 2nd heaviest at weaning whether a bull or a heifer but they don't fall in a heap after weaning they continue to grow as one of the most impressive of their year group. She, herself is probably a bit of a plain Jane and does not stand out but her calves are usually the pick of the bunch. I'll get a photo of her tomorrow.

KenView attachment 33130
I like that bull calf a lot.

I don't have a favorite. I haven't seen any of them for about 3 months. And they all go to the slaughter house in about 3 weeks. If I did have a favorite it would be the one the brings the most money.

KenView attachment 33130
what is he and more importantly what is she?

My favorite cow is the one I never notice until she is 8 or 9 years old and the records shows that she has done it all right and she can actually replicate herself. That is the biggest problem of the great animals.

My favorite cow is the one I never notice until she is 8 or 9 years old and the records shows that she has done it all right and she can actually replicate herself. That is the biggest problem of the great animals.
That's why I have made a habit of intentionally buying cows culled for age to make replacement heifers.

What is your favorite..
Flush that cow.

What is your favorite..
Flush that cow.

Latest posts