Which one do we keep? We made a decision!

Help Support CattleToday:

if #3 were standing forward, his hind legs would look more than adequate. to me he looks like he is standing back. also, take a little of that awesome muscle off his hams - he'd look a lot different.

ROB

Number 3 for sure but the picture doesn't do his back legs any favors. Probably number 1 second

I am going to go with 1,3,2. I agree with the structure and soundness first comment. #1 seems more complete to me.

When selecting a bull and you can't decide, sometimes it helps to look at the momma's of the animals to help make your decision. A bull's momma is a good indicator as to what your heifers may turn out to be.

you folk's are hard on #3 legs, cant see sacrificing muscle for a leg problem that aint there. you extend that much meat that runs clean down to the hocks on the tail end of the others and they will look pretty much
the same.

#3 definately. I dont see how that #3 bull can be too sickle hocked, the other two look a little post-legged to me.

IluvABbeef":gufqoic2 said:
I dont see how that #3 bull can be too sickle hocked, the other two look a little post-legged to me.

#3 is sickle hocked and the other 2 are not even close to being post-legged.

I wouldn't call 3 sickle hocked nor would I call 1 or 2 post legged. I think the "problem" some are seeing with 3 is a combination of muscling in the lower quarter through the stifle and the picture.

He is sickle hocked, no question. I wish we had some video so ya'll could see them walk. The #3 bull, while he has great muscling will not stay sound as long as #1.....But the bigest problem is he will pass the trait to his daughters. That trait will produce, in 1-3 generations, high flank, less debth of twist, high tail head, and very unsound cattle.

Ya'll keep breeding that all you want if you think thats good for you program.

*Cowgirl*":t6lm0cq3 said:

I wouldn't call 3 sickle hocked nor would I call 1 or 2 post legged. I think the "problem" some are seeing with 3 is a combination of muscling in the lower quarter through the stifle and the picture.

Agreed. Also, #3 appears to be about to back up, and he's setting back on his haunches. Note the slight roach in his back because of it. His entire body, from ears to hocks, spells "movement". It really isn't fair to compare him with the quietly posing #1. Bet if another pic of #3 were posted, there'd be no complaints about him being sickle hocked.

Wild Cattle":zbryryc8 said:
He is sickle hocked, no question. I wish we had some video so ya'll could see them walk. The #3 bull, while he has great muscling will not stay sound as long as #1.....But the bigest problem is he will pass the trait to his daughters. That trait will produce, in 1-3 generations, high flank, less debth of twist, high tail head, and very unsound cattle.

• >>>Ya'll keep breeding that all you want if you think thats good for you program.<<<
will do... any time i can add muscle im for it.

I think MM is right if he wasn't pulling back he would be alot better, might still be alittle sickle hocked, but not bad. I would pick number 1 any way I think he has as much muscle just not as defined. Might also be a tad bit longer, and a little better depth and rib.Hard to tell, all three are pretty good bulls. At least there red.

milkmaid":1i3h4bw4 said:
*Cowgirl*":1i3h4bw4 said:

Agreed. Also, #3 appears to be about to back up, and he's setting back on his haunches. Note the slight roach in his back because of it. His entire body, from ears to hocks, spells "movement". It really isn't fair to compare him with the quietly posing #1. Bet if another pic of #3 were posted, there'd be no complaints about him being sickle hocked.

I never even noticed that until you just mentioned it....that might help explain why wild cattle thinks he looks the way he does.

I think we need another picture......If I am miss reading the photo I will say so.

There are a lot of good bulls out there...the one thing that sets them apart is leg quality and it is oftem over looked by younger cattlemen.

I have been looking at legs on cattle for 30 years....Because it takes generations to un-do what can be done in one.

Latest posts