You know those 3 calves we were gonna get?

Help Support CattleToday:

Better steer them both. If they don't grow they're small enough to butcher yourself. They weigh over 300?
Yeah. Should be over 400lbs now. Somewheres around 8 or 9 months old now maybe? Had em a lil while. Been feeding em some creep feed daily. 😆
The one would make a good lil bull for someone. I may use him on my 2 minis and a heifer next spring. If he will grow!

They crack me up!
every morning they wait at the feed trough for their 2 scoops.
And when they run! Omg!
Their lil legs move so fast! But hardly cover any ground
20230916_085842.jpg20230909_174132.jpg

Yeah. Should be over 400lbs now. Somewheres around 8 or 9 months old now maybe? Had em a lil while. Been feeding em some creep feed daily. 😆
The one would make a good lil bull for someone. I may use him on my 2 minis and a heifer next spring. If he will grow!

They crack me up!
every morning they wait at the feed trough for their 2 scoops.
And when they run! Omg!
Their lil legs move so fast! But hardly cover any ground
View attachment 36759View attachment 36760
The one is actually growing a bit.

No way do you need to buy calves, especially heifers, that will be 2 and 1/2 years before they give you a calf to sell or eat. Buy a bred cow or a pair. And if you and your partners are just dead set on raising one to eat, buy a dairy steer for next to nothing and raise it. Well, I say next to nothing. Was watching an online auction and I saw 3 day old Holsteins, some which had to be toted out, they were so near dead, bring $2.20 per pound, Man bought the whole pen full at that even, the ones about to die.
Warren, I'd go a step further if I could. Buy a bred cow with a calf at her side.

Yep, that's what I meant by a pair. Most of the time, unless the calf is only a month or so old, the cow will be bred back. If the calf is 3 or 4 months old, most of the cows will be bred back.
OK. That makes sense. Not being a producer myself I wasn't thinking in those terms, but it does stand to reason. This being the case, I suppose it would actually be a red flag if the cow wasn't bred back and you knew that.