We did it

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
My dream was to make a steer all steaks. Sounded impossible. But with the waygus we got and the mix with our cattle, you get just that. My daughter started her own feed lot. I bought just a side of a half waygu and it filled my freezer. Errry cut is a steak. It's the best beef I've ever had. She sells quite a bit of beef now. But since the calf prices are going up they will hold back a bit. I know there is a lot of negative thoughts on waygu, I can tell you now 100%, it's all and more of the hype.

Tender and taste. Very pleasing. Only needs salt and pepper. Looks real fatty, overly marbled but doesn't shrink.

Ha, yeah there are those still but no mechanically tenderized cuts, no arm roast,no chuck roast, etc The burger is the best I've ever had. But you could cut the meat off the brisket and slap it on the skillet and eat it as a steak. You can trim the meat off the short ribs and sear it, eat it as a steak. Even the stew meat, tinder just seared med. Shortbreads, fad food gross….. fight it all you want, waygu is all it's made out to be

I read they take 3 years past weaning to finish. You'd have to charge 3x a calves price to be able to make it work.

I read they take 3 years past weaning to finish. You'd have to charge 3x a calves price to be able to make it work.
Nope. My daughter took one of our heifers calf out of the waygu, grew like a heifer calf in the pasture, gained great on feed.. Anyhoot, he finished out better than the regular beef steers. Her waygus get massive. She bought our scrawny calf because he was going to get hit at the sale barn. It was an experiment of sorts. Just to see how they grow.

The picture is of a different steer, 1/2 wagyu, not the heifers calf. I think half of him is in our freezer. Oh and we got bacon. Yes, wagyu bacon. Is it just like pork, no, but it's really good. It's more hearty, if that makes sense

I've heard Wagyu is really oily because of all the fat, any truth to that? Not sure I'll ever try it since I'm to broke to go to a place that offers it.

I've heard Wagyu is really oily because of all the fat, any truth to that? Not sure I'll ever try it since I'm to broke to go to a place that offers it.
Daughter sells it by cut so you don't have to buy a side or full. You look at the raw meat and guess most of it melts away. But it doesn't. The fat is different. It's smooth and pleasing, not grisly. Not sure how to explain, it's like the marbling is not fat but rather meat. For 45 years all we've ever eaten is grass fed. I've bought beef from the store maybe a dozen times in this 45 years and maybe have had steak at a restaurant 3 times. I've basically been that person looking from afar at lucky people eating really good meats, which you'd think being a rancher I'd have a freezer full of top grade meat. lol. Well I do now. I now know what I've missed. Feeding out a steer now isn't the cheap way to do this. Calves are bringing too much at the sale barn now.

I had all the fat trimmed and packaged. If any family member get a deer, they grind the venison and add the fat. Makes it taste like beef.

Daughter sells it by cut so you don't have to buy a side or full.
Does she have a store front or selling it out of the Feed Store?

We didn't raise a calf to feed this year, too expensive with feed cost and what a good steer will bring.

Does she have a store front or selling it out of the Feed Store?

We didn't raise a calf to feed this year, too expensive with feed cost and what a good steer will bring.
She is setting herself up a trailer to sell out of at farmers markets. When the "hoards" of solar eclipse people show up she's hoping to sell steaks and cook burgers. Right now she's selling off social media and word of mouth.

She has half waygu and has angus mix to sell. You can buy in many combinations. Half, whole, steaks, burger.

Latest posts