It was "that day" for us - PICTURE DAY

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I mentioned in Gizmom's post that we also took sale pictures. You have to remember - this is Upstate NY. My cattle are outdoors 24/7. All fed hay out of round feeders. "Some" of our cattle never leave the feeders. They lay down around the feeder, where it is absolutely the worse slop areas once you get about 2' away. So, they lay with their head near the feeder and the back end is not exactly on a hay pack. We just finished calving, so it was not like we could bring them into the barns to work on getting them cleaner. We did take the 4 youngest into the barn and worked on their sh$tballs for about 10 days.
Here are ours:
This is a fall bred heifer, Jezebel (twin) (2 pictures):

This is a 1/6/22 heifer, Kola:

This is a 1/3/22 heifer, Kaboom:
free image hosting website

This is a 1/4/22 heifer, Ka-Ching:

And this is a fall bred 5 yr old cow. We just weaned her calf about 10 days prior:

We didn't even attempt to clean this one up. Shaved her front end.
We will shear clip all of them when the weather warms up a little.

Why is the first one missing hair on her face?

Why is the first one missing hair on her face?
They all are "missing hair on their face". Their face was shaved and their neck hair was blocked out. They had about 4" of hair on their "mane" and back - LOL. My cattle GROW HAIR!! Got to - to survive.
Red cattle have a drastic color difference when you shave them - especially a really dark red like she is.

They all are "missing hair on their face". Their face was shaved and their neck hair was blocked out. They had about 4" of hair on their "mane" and back - LOL. My cattle GROW HAIR!! Got to - to survive.
Red cattle have a drastic color difference when you shave them - especially a really dark red like she is.
Why do you shave their faces and neck?

These pictures are for a sale catalog of breeding stock. We want a potential buyer to be able to see there conformation and profile. A female should look like a female, not a big block head. We try to present them like when we are showing them.
This is the Stars & Stripes Sale, May 6th in Hershey, PA

These pictures are for a sale catalog of breeding stock. We want a potential buyer to be able to see there conformation and profile. A female should look like a female, not a big block head. We try to present them like when we are showing them.
Your girls look wonderful. They look very close to what I was selling ten years ago. Mine weren't as deep, and a little more leg, because that wasn't as much in fashion back then but I could tell that was the way things were going. Great cattle...

I've lived in Upstate N.Y. for 26 years...anyone that can raise and breed cattle there...Jeanne Simme Valley... has my admiration. Sleet, ice...4 to 8 feet of snow..-30 to -90 below zero with wind for a week...mud and crazy frozen mud...twist an ankle there. Cattle are incredibly stout to survive. I like the description you gave about their life in the winter living near the feeder. The old barns housing cattle over the winter weren't a pretty sight...or smell.

lol, I have a few of those big block head females...they're stout and good eaters...not picky they eat all the weeds and maintain weight better than the more feminine small headed females....they come from my ultra big block head bull.

Beautiful group of females, you always have the kind I love deep and Soggy. All that hair would be a death warrant in my environment but my cattle would freeze in yours because we try to breed for less hair.

Thanks Gizmom - LOL yes, my cattle grow hair. Sometimes they look like a YAK!!! Which is good for us. We are shaving them bald for the sale. Got 3 done. Will do 2 tomorrow. Taking some better pictures and videos for the sale. I'll post new pics.
TxRancher - ah no - thank goodness we do NOT have -30 to -90 below. We occasionally get down to -15 to -20F, but not for long. Lots of wind, lots of mud/snow/frozen lumpy ground.

Latest posts