Update on the Kudzu- Corriente herd since we sold it.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Scott told me he had talked to the man who bought them the other day. He started weaning at 7 mos...a little older than we did. He started end of September taking 16 to the sale most every week. 8 of the biggest steers and 8 of the biggest heifers each time. They weighed from 500+ to 6oo ;bs. The steers averaged bringing about $1.98 ...52 steers ended up bringing nearly $57k...about $1080 aeverage per steer. The 43 heifers ended up brining a total of $41,200, averaging about $960 each. So, he got a hair over $98k for the 95 calves. We sold the herd to him for $98k. 83 Corriente cows and my 12 Piney Woods/Fla Scrubs. Our Corrs were all bred with Ultrablacks and the other 12 were bred to Angus when I got them. Our Corr herd calved in February and the other 12 mid to late March So he got his money back already. Probably not all of it, I am sure he had sale barn fees to pay. and he put them on fertilized bermuda pastures, with some protein licks in it. So, he wasn't exactly input free like we were. But still, he has virtually nothing in the cows now, and next year that $98k for calves will be virtually all profit. He put Brangus bulls on them 1st of May.

He already sked Scott if we would find him about 50-60 more.

I would be interested to see how such a setup would work around clearcut properties and properties in standing timber spaced far enough to facilitate herbaceous growth.
That's what this place was, cut-over timber that has grown up over the years. When we first got it years ago, we would plant food plots here and there..and the dove field in it for years. The key, believe it or not, is it is almost half Kudzu. Most people probably don't know it, but Kudzu leaves test 24% to 26% protein. Roots and stems 16% or more. Hell, they sell Kudzu now at health food stores! And Corrriente thrive on weeds and briars and honeysuckle. Any grass on the place is Johnson grass and broom sage. with some volunteer wheat oats, rtc., from the dove field days. And Corriente don't need worming or fly control or any meds. We just turn them out and let them raise themselves. This summer I had those Plummer cows and my 2 1/2 Brahma heifers on it, and they did fine but it was just them and our 4 Corr heifers and the Corr bull on that 200+ acres. I doubt we could have put 120 of them, or any other kind, on that place without feeding them, though. The Corriente thing works best on land too poor or growed up for regular cattle. We never spent a dime on these other than some salt and minerals that we keep in the corral. And Corrientes don't have problems calving. I hear out west people even cross them with Charolais bulls. Me and Scott figured out we had about $20-$25K in the original 120 cow herd. Every year they would drop a calf that at 6 mos sold for more than you could buy their mommas for.. Often twice as much. We always used homozygous polled and black bulls and sold them at weaning....trailer weaned.. and they would bring what the other commercial Angus or black baldies 400-500 lbs brought. We would always turn enough bulls, usually 6, in with them at Easter and Memoerial Day weekend we'd pick them up and put in our Corr bull for cleanup. and get him out July 4th weekend. In this last crop they had all had black calves,( used 6 Ultrablack bulls) but some years we'd end up with anywhere from 4 to 8 or 10 Corr calves born in March. This is where we'd get our replacements, usually 1- 4 a year. And 1- 4 or so steers for fresh ropers.

If you have rough land you don't want to spend money improving and you do not want to spend time and money worming, vaccinating, etc, and don't want to be there everyday in calving season, and want to spend less than $500 a cow for your herd, then you can't make more money than you can with Corrs bred to Angus or Brangus bulls. After they all calved every February, we'd round them up and rope the calves, usually me, with Scott on the ground tagging and banding the bulls. And that was the extent of handling or working them til we rounded them up to load on a trailer to take to the sale.

That's what this place was, cut-over timber that has grown up over the years. When we first got it years ago, we would plant food plots here and there..and the dove field in it for years. The key, believe it or not, is it is almost half Kudzu. Most people probably don't know it, but Kudzu leaves test 24% to 26% protein. Roots and stems 16% or more. Hell, they sell Kudzu now at health food stores! And Corrriente thrive on weeds and briars and honeysuckle. Any grass on the place is Johnson grass and broom sage. with some volunteer wheat oats, rtc., from the dove field days. And Corriente don't need worming or fly control or any meds. We just turn them out and let them raise themselves. This summer I had those Plummer cows and my 2 1/2 Brahma heifers on it, and they did fine but it was just them and our 4 Corr heifers and the Corr bull on that 200+ acres. I doubt we could have put 120 of them, or any other kind, on that place without feeding them, though. The Corriente thing works best on land too poor or growed up for regular cattle. We never spent a dime on these other than some salt and minerals that we keep in the corral. And Corrientes don't have problems calving. I hear out west people even cross them with Charolais bulls. Me and Scott figured out we had about $20-$25K in the original 120 cow herd. Every year they would drop a calf that at 6 mos sold for more than you could buy their mommas for.. Often twice as much. We always used homozygous polled and black bulls and sold them at weaning....trailer weaned.. and they would bring what the other commercial Angus or black baldies 400-500 lbs brought. We would always turn enough bulls, usually 6, in with them at Easter and Memoerial Day weekend we'd pick them up and put in our Corr bull for cleanup. and get him out July 4th weekend. In this last crop they had all had black calves,( used 6 Ultrablack bulls) but some years we'd end up with anywhere from 4 to 8 or 10 Corr calves born in March. This is where we'd get our replacements, usually 1- 4 a year. And 1- 4 or so steers for fresh ropers.

If you have rough land you don't want to spend money improving and you do not want to spend time and money worming, vaccinating, etc, and don't want to be there everyday in calving season, and want to spend less than $500 a cow for your herd, then you can't make more money than you can with Corrs bred to Angus or Brangus bulls. After they all calved every February, we'd round them up and rope the calves, usually me, with Scott on the ground tagging and banding the bulls. And that was the extent of handling or working them til we rounded them up to load on a trailer to take to the sale.
I've worked with and around them on the rodeo scene, but never in a beef environment. How did they stack up against your plummers in terms of "get out and earn it"?

We were talking about all the kudzu in North Georgia and why nobody harvest it and feeds it to cattle ??
It has to be the quickest growing plant ever.
Lord knows we have enough of it.
It'll grow over the top of an 80 ft tall pine tree and smother it.
They say keep your windows closed at night or you might lose small children !

We were talking about all the kudzu in North Georgia and why nobody harvest it and feeds it to cattle ??
It has to be the quickest growing plant ever.
Lord knows we have enough of it.
It'll grow over the top of an 80 ft tall pine tree and smother it.
They say keep your windows closed at night or you might lose small children !
There's a couple in NC or SC that grows it for hay.

Thanks for posting that link.
Great story.
5 tons Kuduz vs 1.5 ton hay per acre....and basically zero cost.
Incredible % protein and fiber.
Only problem I can see is that it would certainly be a continuous effort to prevent the spread. They are finding, in many places, that grazing is the only thing that can stop kudzu spread effectively and efficiently.

I've worked with and around them on the rodeo scene, but never in a beef environment. How did they stack up against your plummers in terms of "get out and earn it"?
The Plummers maintained condition, even nursing calves. Just had 4 and after I had them a couple of months we sold the Corriente herd. So all summer we only had them and 4 Corriente heifers, a Brahma x Chi-Angus heifer and a Brahma x Chianina heifer on the whole place. I dunno how 120 of them would do out there, though. These 4 Plummers were big ole cows, nearly twice the weight of the Corrs. They were bred to an Angus when I got them, where as we had bred the Corrs with Ultrablach bulls, so their calves weren't all that much bigger.

The Plummers maintained condition, even nursing calves. Just had 4 and after I had them a couple of months we sold the Corriente herd. So all summer we only had them and 4 Corriente heifers, a Brahma x Chi-Angus heifer and a Brahma x Chianina heifer on the whole place. I dunno how 120 of them would do out there, though. These 4 Plummers were big ole cows, nearly twice the weight of the Corrs. They were bred to an Angus when I got them, where as we had bred the Corrs with Ultrablach bulls, so their calves weren't all that much bigger.
Got any pics of those plummers? I've had a keen scientific interest in brahma x longhorn/corriente/pineywoods/scrub/cracker cows ever since my buddy sent me some pics he found of some. Seems like a neat combo for rough ground cows, and yet I have only found one ranch that does that around here.

Only problem I can see is that it would certainly be a continuous effort to prevent the spread. They are finding, in many places, that grazing is the only thing that can stop kudzu spread effectively and efficiently.
We never wanted to prevent the spread. There is nothing to replace it with that is 25% protein. Our place is crawling with deer, and the protein in the kudzu makes for some pretty decent racks.

We never wanted to prevent the spread. There is nothing to replace it with that is 25% protein. Our place is crawling with deer, and the protein in the kudzu makes for some pretty decent racks.
Well then, there ya go. As long as there's critters enough to keep it on y'alls property then I'd say kudzu is a good problem to have.

Got any pics of those plummers? I've had a keen scientific interest in brahma x longhorn/corriente/pineywoods/scrub/cracker cows ever since my buddy sent me some pics he found of some. Seems like a neat combo for rough ground cows, and yet I have only found one ranch that does that around here.
No, I never took a pic of them, but if you Google Br x LH, one of the things that pops up is Google pics of them. They will come in every color you can find in Criollo cattle, ears and leather and hump like Brahma, except wide thick horns that grow out rather then the small backwards growing horns of a Brahma. And the cows are usually 1500 lbs or more, vs an 800 lb Corriente.

I would leave the Brahma out of it for my brood cows and just use Criollo cows, if you wanted to do what we did. You always want to use Angus or Brangus bulls, and using Brangus bulls you can get a little ear

No, I never took a pic of them, but if you Google Br x LH, one of the things that pops up is Google pics of them. They will come in every color you can find in Criollo cattle, ears and leather and hump like Brahma, except wide thick horns that grow out rather then the small backwards growing horns of a Brahma. And the cows are usually 1500 lbs or more, vs an 800 lb Corriente.

I would leave the Brahma out of it for my brood cows and just use Criollo cows, if you wanted to do what we did. You always want to use Angus or Brangus bulls, and using Brangus bulls you can get a little ear
That's a massive uptick in size from the LH side. Too big, cows over 1,400 aren't a winner for most biomes.

Well then, there ya go. As long as there's critters enough to keep it on y'alls property then I'd say kudzu is a good problem to have.
Our land is kinda pie shaped, with the end by the road about 300 yds or so wide, and the back is maybe a mile wide? All land surrounding it belongs to the timber company that we bought ours from, many years ago. They sold it because it had some hills ad gullies, and a creek on it, while the rest of it is failry flat like south Ga land is. The left side looking in fromthe road, is the creek bottom with old-growth hard woods, both on our side of the fence and on theirs. The back is bordered by planted pines that they cut in 2020, and the right is plated pines that they will cut in about 5 years. Kudzu is starting to grow on the plot cut in 2020, none in the hardwoods, except the edge, and none in the other planted pines.

No one I know of plants Kudzu, God does. and you are not responsible for keep it off of other peoples property: they are if the don't want it. If people don't want it growing into their fences, they will spray the fence with 24D and Roundup once a year.

Our land is kinda pie shaped, with the end by the road about 300 yds or so wide, and the back is maybe a mile wide? All land surrounding it belongs to the timber company that we bought ours from, many years ago. They sold it because it had some hills ad gullies, and a creek on it, while the rest of it is failry flat like south Ga land is. The left side looking in fromthe road, is the creek bottom with old-growth hard woods, both on our side of the fence and on theirs. The back is bordered by planted pines that they cut in 2020, and the right is plated pines that they will cut in about 5 years. Kudzu is starting to grow on the plot cut in 2020, none in the hardwoods, except the edge, and none in the other planted pines.

No one I know of plants Kudzu, God does. and you are not responsible for keep it off of other peoples property: they are if the don't want it. If people don't want it growing into their fences, they will spray the fence with 24D and Roundup once a year.
Fair enough. Sounds like a little patch of heaven.

That's a massive uptick in size from the LH side. Too big, cows over 1,400 aren't a winner for most biomes.
Lot of hybrid vigor... heterosis ..in this cross. Zero shared DNA between the breeds. Most LX x Brahmas are taller and heavier than either LH or Brahma are. This cross is usually part of a bucking bull breeding program. Those Plummers I had was part of the payment on a horse I had on consignment. The owner wanted $5k, and this old boy that had these cows wanted it bad. I told him he could get the horse for $7500. He had 5 of these cows, and offered them and $6k for the horse. That would be like him getting $300 each for them. I gave the horse owner $5500. and he gave me $440 commission. Plus I kept the other $500 out of the $6000. I sold one of them on the way to the Kudzu pasture with them for $750, so I only had 4 in there. Had they not been free, ( actually I got paid $940 to take them) I would not have given more than $250-$300 each for them, even if I wanted them. Which I did not. For $250 to $300 I could buy another Corriente. So basically I ended up with 4 free cows plus $940 plus $750. Hell, if they had been minis, I would have taken them if I got paid $1690 to do so.

Latest posts