You know those 3 calves we were gonna get?

Help Support CattleToday:

bscattle

Reaction score
My boyfriend has contact the guy that owns the calves, no response. I contact the owners wife (we are friends on Facebook)no response. Not sure why they are not responding to us but I think we should just go to the sale and buy three or more calves. In that case we could buy pairs….

Wouldn't we have a better chance of knowing the breed if we go to the sale?

My boyfriend has contact the guy that owns the calves, no response. I contact the owners wife (we are friends on Facebook)no response. Not sure why they are not responding to us but I think we should just go to the sale and buy three or more calves. In that case we could buy pairs….

Sounds like your friends started thinking...

This doesn't surprise me. My guess is someone offered him a price closer to their value, and they are sold. It is probably awkward to contact you now. I just sold our spring born calves. Steers brought an average of $1,438 each and heifers $1,273. Be careful if you buy at a sale barn. The buyers there know value, so if you see one go for less, there is probably a real good reason. Although not always true, most cows that end up at the sale barn are someone elses culls. There are many reasons to cull and most of those are reasons you won't want her either. Personally, I think this is a really bad time to be a beginner in the cattle business. Prices are higher than I have ever seen them, which is good if you're selling, but anything you buy now may very well be worth substantially less a few years from now. People who got into the business in 2014 during the last peak in the cattle cycle, mostly lost money.

I keep looking at your member name. BS cattle. I wonder if that is suppose to be a hint at your legitimacy. 😉

No way do you need to buy calves, especially heifers, that will be 2 and 1/2 years before they give you a calf to sell or eat. Buy a bred cow or a pair. And if you and your partners are just dead set on raising one to eat, buy a dairy steer for next to nothing and raise it. Well, I say next to nothing. Was watching an online auction and I saw 3 day old Holsteins, some which had to be toted out, they were so near dead, bring $2.20 per pound, Man bought the whole pen full at that even, the ones about to die.

I think @Warren Allison 's on the right track suggesting you buy a dairy steer or two to learn with and eventually put on the table. I'd suggest that you buy a couple you don't have to bottle feed to begin with. 350/400 pounds should mean they are well on their way eating solid foods.

Holstein are probably most plentiful but Brown Swiss usually have more meat on their bones if you can get them. Jersey will be least expensive, for a reason.

Or you can get breds or even a three in one package. As said on the other thread old cows get culled due to teeth or age and they will still raise a great calf and bring as much as you paid for them. @Dave and I have both made money buying old cows (one and done) and weaning their last calf off them to resell for what we paid, the calf being the profit. Cows are herd animals and they always do better with a friend, so keep that in mind.

And don't buy anything wild or aggressive.

No way do you need to buy calves, especially heifers, that will be 2 and 1/2 years before they give you a calf to sell or eat. Buy a bred cow or a pair. And if you and your partners are just dead set on raising one to eat, buy a dairy steer for next to nothing and raise it. Well, I say next to nothing. Was watching an online auction and I saw 3 day old Holsteins, some which had to be toted out, they were so near dead, bring $2.20 per pound, Man bought the whole pen full at that even, the ones about to die

We are wanting to breed, and if it works out we aren't oppose to getting a steer and having it butchered. I told them that it would be an option to get 3 in 1s, weaning the calves, and we could always breed the cows back to a bull…they have a friends that raise South Polls, and they said that we could always breed to their bull….

Look at what class is the best buy. I've not been to a sale in 5 or 6 weeks, but then, the best buy was bred cattle and pairs with small calves. Stay away from the pound cows.

Yearling heifers, 1st and 2nd trimester bred cows, and pairs is where I'd be looking first. Calves are through the roof right now. So are heavy bred cows from what I've been hearing.

I think your friends realized the value they were holding.

Might be good to talk to farmers as they bring their loaded trailers to the barn. Ask them about their cattle. If ya see something you like, get the animals sale numbers and bid on them in the ring.

It's real easy to buy a POS. Things happen so quickly and the adrenaline flows. Lol.

They probably realized how much the value of those calves has gone up throughout the summer and know they can get a lot more for them now as the deal they offered you up.

Wrong time to start with cattle, you don't want to buy high, plus have all the other start up expenses.

What are your opinions on buying from an individual, like from a Facebook group or Craigslist?

Facebook groups are made up of known people. Hard to hoodoo someone in a group like that. Others will call them out. If the group member has been on there for years, and has sold cattle on there several times, then he is probably safe to buy from. And the same is true with people on here. Quite a few on here that I would buy from, sight unseen, based on what I have seen from them, and what other CT members have said about them. I don't want to try to list them all, because I would surely forget somebody , but if I were in the market for Simmental, or a client was, I would buy form @Jeanne - Simme Valley or @simme, or would refer someone to them , with 100% confidence. Or for Angus, @gizmom. Someone in Texas asking about Brahma or Brahma crosses, @Caustic Burno and @Brute 23 is who I would send them to. Just 3 examples. Don't ever think a question you have is a dumb one to ask. The most succesful cattlemen ( and women) on here, were at one time wet behind trhe years like you. You are going to make a lot of mistakes and bad decisions starting out, and that is ok. That is how you learn. In an interview 20 or 30 years ago, the journalist asked Malcomb Forbes the key to his success. He said " Making good decisions" So she asked, " And how did you learn to make good decisions?" He said " Experience." So she asked " And where did you aquire this experience?" He said " From making bad decisions".
Craigslist...not so much. That is a whole nuther ball game. I would advise leaving them alone. How far are you from @MurraysMutts in Enid, OK?

Latest posts