Everyone has one..

Help Support CattleToday:

This is Old Brindle, she's around 11 years old. I don't remember exactly when I bought her, but she came in a group of 500 lb Hereford X heifers at a Hereford influence sale. There were a couple braford type heifers in the group, not sure exactly what she is whether she is too, or if she has some longhorn in her.
She is always one of the first to calve and always raises a big calf. There's no easy way to get around her calf for a couple of weeks, as she will flat out get you. She's otherwise real calm and gentle but not when she has a new calf. I've sold some of her heifers and kept some. The ones I've kept have been a roll of the dice though, a couple have turned out great and are calf raising cows like her and then a couple I've culled out after they calved because they didn't work out. She has a brindle steer calf this year,
View attachment 33109View attachment 33110
View attachment 33112
That's something how it turns out keeping heifers out of the best cows.
In my experience it's about 50/50 getting a good one.

Here is plain Jane. I really like her, moderate frame but punches above her weight. The thing I really like is her calves keep on performing after weaning so it is not just a milk thing. Her EBV's are terrible, her growth numbers especially where from the performance of her progeny this is clearly not the case. There has been little to no movement in those numbers with recording data. I put this down to my small herd and small cohorts to compare the numbers but we can live with that.
She looks a bit rough in the photo, only calved 4 days ago. She has beautifull teats, that one in the photo the calf has not been sucking on yet, only using 3 of the 4.
In the past I have had a fellow come and grade my cattle, he does a lot of herds. He gives a score of 1-7, she will usually get a 4 yet her progeny will mostly get a 7.
She just does the job no fuss, exactly what you want in a cow.P1030493.JPG

Ken

Flush that cow.
We dont make enough off the progeny to pay for her.. That plus she has 2 full sisters in the herd (they arent as good as her), plus one half sister. and one "3/4" sister. The 3/4 beats her in terms of production, but not in terms of look and fertility.

Here is a bred heifer from the 3/4 sister. She has a ton of potential

I aint smart enough to keep her thou, she sells next month..

Here is plain Jane. I really like her, moderate frame but punches above her weight. The thing I really like is her calves keep on performing after weaning so it is not just a milk thing. Her EBV's are terrible, her growth numbers especially where from the performance of her progeny this is clearly not the case. There has been little to no movement in those numbers with recording data. I put this down to my small herd and small cohorts to compare the numbers but we can live with that.
She looks a bit rough in the photo, only calved 4 days ago. She has beautifull teats, that one in the photo the calf has not been sucking on yet, only using 3 of the 4.
In the past I have had a fellow come and grade my cattle, he does a lot of herds. He gives a score of 1-7, she will usually get a 4 yet her progeny will mostly get a 7.
She just does the job no fuss, exactly what you want in a cow.View attachment 33190

Ken
She is really ugly, send her over here.. I wont charge you much to take care of her... :)

We have a 2017 traction daughter that just made the cut to keep, honestly only because she is a traction daughter. She doesnt take AI but always has a nice calf every year.. Ugly cows get it done too..

View attachment 33151
The big Bradford girl, I repaired my neighbors MF 135 hydraulic s twenty years ago. He ask what it cost and I pointed her out as a six month old heifer.
Girl is a production machine.
She is twenty good BCS and teeth that would age 6 or 7.
She will never stand in a slaughter line.View attachment 33151
That makes me happy!
20 years is awesome. Hope she's around a long long time for you. Although it already sound like she has been.
We dont make enough off the progeny to pay for her.. That plus she has 2 full sisters in the herd (they arent as good as her), plus one half sister. and one "3/4" sister. The 3/4 beats her in terms of production, but not in terms of look and fertility.

Here is a bred heifer from the 3/4 sister. She has a ton of potential

I aint smart enough to keep her thou, she sells next month..
U may regret that... 😆

Not my prettiest cow, but she is probably my favorite because she has made me the most money. All she gets is grass, salt and mineral. Has a calf every 11 months and she is super gentle to be around. This is her progeny from last year at 8 months old.

Attachments

• 254494CA-E7BA-45D4-AB25-BCAA5143A6CA.jpeg
    254494CA-E7BA-45D4-AB25-BCAA5143A6CA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 34B13A30-BAD1-4B58-81FB-C3CDA18AC7A9.jpeg
    34B13A30-BAD1-4B58-81FB-C3CDA18AC7A9.jpeg
    805.7 KB · Views: 11
Not my prettiest cow, but she is probably my favorite because she has made me the most money. All she gets is grass, salt and mineral. Has a calf every 11 months and she is super gentle to be around. This is her progeny from last year at 8 months old.
That's a great calf. Just the kind I like to sell as a large group. Top of the market kind of calves.