the question of "objective"

Help Support CattleToday:

I think there are many on several boards that are greatly underestimated. You can't replace the good common sense that a cattleman with experience has, but many of them are living in the past and refuse to use the tools available to them. Beef quality went down hill in recent years, it was probably ignored in favor of more pounds weaned, with the testing available it can be brought back. Nothing worse than eating a steak as tough and flavorful as a piece of shoe leather. At least Val is paying attention to quality in her animals, others could take some pointers where that is concerned. :cowboy:

ollie?":374xlgr5 said:
HerefordSire":374xlgr5 said:
ollie?":374xlgr5 said:
No university grad student , professor, etc. does more genetic research, evaluation and real world , practical testing that a rancher with good cow sense.

Name one rancher (with or without common sense) besides Val that invests in DNA marker tests.
Me and most all purebred breeders.

How many ranchers does that leave.....1,000,000?

HerefordSire":2r7brxks said:
ollie?":2r7brxks said:
Show me the abstract evaluation that doesn't use the five senses...

hearing, sight, touch, smell, and taste

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_senses

Any activity by the brain not related to the above five senses associated with genetic evaluation and testing.
I'll repeat my statement for the intellectual you to give a reasoned response. Show me [an] abstract evaluation [on cattle] that doesn't use one or all of the five senses. Who LOOKS at the data? Who TOUCHES the handle of the chute as they collect the weights? Nothing is purely cognitive except for your cattle ranching endeavors.

ollie?":10fbynoh said:
No university grad student , professor, etc. does more genetic research, evaluation and real world , practical testing that a rancher with good cow sense.

ollie?":10fbynoh said:
???? I guess I could find the number. Your point is what?

There could be 1,000,000 ranchers performing less genetic research, evaluation, and real world practical testing with good cow sense than university grad students, professors, etc.

HerefordSire":30x7zdxc said:
ollie?":30x7zdxc said:

ollie?":30x7zdxc said:
???? I guess I could find the number. Your point is what?

There could be 1,000,000 ranchers performing less genetic research, evaluation, and real world practical testing with good cow sense than university grad students, professors, etc.
Prove your hypothesis.

KMacGinley":2wofnhq4 said:
Aero: Just stop it.

lol

i had just decided that while reading a few posts before this one.

thank you for making sure i was aware of the futility of further posts. :tiphat:

Any activity by the brain not related to the above five senses associated with genetic evaluation and testing.

ollie?":1r7fcmpl said:
I'll repeat my statement for the intellectual you to give a reasoned response. Show me [an] abstract evaluation [on cattle] that doesn't use one or all of the five senses. Who LOOKS at the data? Who TOUCHES the handle of the chute as they collect the weights? Nothing is purely cognitive except for your cattle ranching endeavors.

I thought I lost you on that one. :mrgreen:

Let me think for awhile so I can show a good example.

By the way, you mentioned the word "purely" as in looking at data. Of course all ranchers don't look at genetic data and I am not referring to this as sense usage.

Aero":o36jg8ne said:
KMacGinley":o36jg8ne said:

lol

thank you for making sure i was aware of the futility of further posts. :tiphat:

I would love to be a mouse in the corner of a conversation between Valerie, Keeney and Larry Leonard.. ;-) :p

Oldtimer":2m8ycodn said:
Aero":2m8ycodn said:
KMacGinley":2m8ycodn said:

lol

I would love to be a mouse in the corner of a conversation between Valerie, Keeney and Larry Leonard.. ;-) :p

Would they discuss the benefits of a registered herd? :lol2:

Oldtimer":1g4210uo said:
Aero":1g4210uo said:
KMacGinley":1g4210uo said:

lol

I know one of the latter could argue with a corner post!

I think that she should be invited to 5 bar x, that would be some entertainment, especially if Sam gets in the middle of it. 5BarX, all angus all the time. (Except for the occasional Aubrac.)

KMacGinley":3pxgi02n said:
I think that she should be invited to 5 bar x, that would be some entertainment, especially if Sam gets in the middle of it. 5BarX, all angus all the time. (Except for the occasional Aubrac.)

i dont think i have the energy for that.

and thanks for not forgetting about the brown cows. ;-)

RD-Sam":3bambstj said:
I think there are many on several boards that are greatly underestimated. You can't replace the good common sense that a cattleman with experience has, but many of them are living in the past and refuse to use the tools available to them. Beef quality went down hill in recent years, it was probably ignored in favor of more pounds weaned, with the testing available it can be brought back. Nothing worse than eating a steak as tough and flavorful as a piece of shoe leather. At least Val is paying attention to quality in her animals, others could take some pointers where that is concerned. :cowboy:

Very good post.

The truth is in the frogskins. Let me see your ethical bottom line (or top line per animal in Val's case). $2,500 each for three bull calves from one cow sounds pretty good to me. Any one here beat this?

Aero":wvtjh4i9 said:
KMacGinley":wvtjh4i9 said:

i dont think i have the energy for that.

and thanks for not forgetting about the brown cows. ;-)

Brown Cow? Isn't that an ice cream or something like that? :p

Oldtimer":3m5rtyy1 said:

How many mouse traps come in a pack at Wal-Mart because I don't like cats? :p

Latest posts