the question of "objective"

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Saw this on another thread - SS Objective T510. I never bought semen on him - just hate how he looks in the ABS picture. EPDs are great and he's selling like hotcakes - his price on semen and certificates is approaching $50 each. Am I missing something? The calves I've seen are OK - but nothing great at all - I have number of calves on the ground here from cows that were bred to him when I bought them. The big programs are all using him - they can't all be wrong eh? I don't see him dominating bull tests anywhere . . . what's the deal? I wouldn't buy him anyway at $100 per registration - I think that approaches emblazon

angus9259":2nwo78vc said:
Saw this on another thread - SS Objective T510. I never bought semen on him - just hate how he looks in the ABS picture. EPDs are great and he's selling like hotcakes - his price on semen and certificates is approaching $50 each. Am I missing something? The calves I've seen are OK - but nothing great at all - I have number of calves on the ground here from cows that were bred to him when I bought them. The big programs are all using him - they can't all be wrong eh? I don't see him dominating bull tests anywhere . . . what's the deal? I wouldn't buy him anyway at $100 per registration - I think that approaches emblazon

It's a mystery to me, too. We didn't use him because we didn't like his looks, either. But we bought a son as a clean up bull this past March. We chose him because he's not related to any of our cows, he's a calving ease bull, we know the seller, his own performance on test, and, of course, price. We're planning to send all his calves through the feedlot.

Beauty IS as beauty DOES!

Objective's picture is a disgrace to his performance! If he were splotched with white he could be mistaken for a de-horned Holstein.

I am wondering if ANYONE has ever heard of NOT analyzing a seedstock selection from a PICTURE? Successful producers can't ALL be wrong!

Hm-m-m-m-m.

DOC HARRIS

Actually females from a Holstein on an Angus cow might just winter a bit better-he's definately a corn belt type of bull.

Another example of cashing in on epd chasers

Epd seems to be the new holy grail

[Bez]

[Bez said:
":ko8rxbsj]Another example of cashing in on epd chasers

Epd seems to be the new holy grail

[Bez]
Academia led us into the belt buckles of the 50's. Academia led us into the frame race of the 80's. Academia led us into the epd shell game of the 90's until now. People need to use their own head.

:shock: Are you guys criticizing my clean up bull.....without laying eyes on him? I must say I'm shocked, shocked....not. :lol: :lol:

He has good EPDs, yes. But we didn't buy him based on his EPDs. He also has good individual performance: gained 5+ pounds a day on test, 14+ inch ribeye, ultrasound marbling score of 6. Combined with our cows, I think he'll produce calves that will be born easily, do well in the feedlot and on the rail. He's not a pretty bull, by any means, but we're not in the show business. We could have spent another $1000 and bought a prettier bull, but unlike some folks, we really expect our cattle to make a few bucks for us. :D

Oh, and he has some frame. :lol:

We bought a son of Objestive last fall. His calves started about Sept. 1. So far no calving problems and maybe slightly smaller than previous calves at birth. This bull has a lower birth epd than our old one. So far they look pretty think with a decent hind quarter. Time will tell when they go accross the scale. Young bulls are so hard for me to judge by looks, last bull I had looked good as a mature bull but when I go back look at his first pics I wondered what I was thinking when I bought him. This one leaves some room to improve on looks as he has not filled out in the last year like I had hoped for.

Frankie":309juamt said:
:shock: Are you guys criticizing my clean up bull.....without laying eyes on him? I must say I'm shocked, shocked....not. :lol: :lol:
Do you own T510? There are several sons out of him that are nice and several that are junk. With epd's like he has he's been exposed to several good cows. Likely your ugly clean up bull would do a fine job on the best cows in the nation.

I have never seen any picture of Objective that I liked. I flat out could not recommend him for any mating where you were keeping the resulting progeny for breeding stock. IF you just have to have the cutting edge numbers, maybe he has a place; but I would stay away from him or from anything with him in the pedigree. His rump structure bothers me a lot. I could be entirely WRONG but I suspect a lot of his daughters will not still be producing in a commercial environment when they are 12.

DOC HARRIS":3vzse6sz said:

Objective's picture is a disgrace to his performance! If he were splotched with white he could be mistaken for a de-horned Holstein.

I am wondering if ANYONE has ever heard of NOT analyzing a seedstock selection from a PICTURE? Successful producers can't ALL be wrong!

Hm-m-m-m-m.

DOC HARRIS

I don't really understand what you mean with all the prose and poetry. Are parts of what you're saying sarcastic or all sincere? If you have a particular opinion I think it would help me (guess I'm a slower minded type) if you said what it was. It seems like you're saying that despite his picture he's obviously a high performance animal right? Unless you're being sarcastic in that successful producers can't ALL be wrong. Which way should I read all this?

Not sure about Objective- as I only have 1 heifer with him in her pedigree- so haven't had much experience with him....

But if you want to see a bull that that to me is one of the ugliest looking angus bulls I've ever saw look at Tehama Bando 155....(looks more like a Jersey to me ;-) )

http://www.universalsemensales.com/deta ... gus_id=179

But in talking with many of the oldtimers that used him- they had good things to say about the daughters sired by him- and his maternal qualities...

angus9259":2nb2i7vw said:
DOC HARRIS":2nb2i7vw said:

Hm-m-m-m-m.

DOC HARRIS

I don't really understand what you mean with all the prose and poetry. Are parts of what you're saying sarcastic or all sincere? If you have a particular opinion I think it would help me (guess I'm a slower minded type) if you said what it was. It seems like you're saying that despite his picture he's obviously a high performance animal right? Unless you're being sarcastic in that successful producers can't ALL be wrong. Which way should I read all this?

Nobody disputes that Objective is horrible on the eyes. Mark Gardiner showed us a worse pic than the one ABS uses and admits that he is ugly but those EPDs are great.

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1574

Put your hand over everything from the navel forward and just look at the rear half. It LOOKS Holstein. He has a break in his top above the hooks that would get himself culled at a lot of places. Click on the support pictures and look at his daughter. I have seen that worse in some of his daughters. If you want to argue that growth is ALL that matters, go ahead.........there is your bull. If you are a stickler for phenotype or you actually read the -9.36 $EN you won't keep his daughters.

Brandonm22":yakahbvh said:
Mark Gardiner showed us a worse pic than the one ABS uses and admits that he is ugly but those EPDs are great.

logic would say that the picture they are using is the best one to date... scary huh?

Aero":qez6tj9w said:
Brandonm22":qez6tj9w said:
Mark Gardiner showed us a worse pic than the one ABS uses and admits that he is ugly but those EPDs are great.

logic would say that the picture they are using is the best one to date... scary huh?

That's what really concerned me all along. If they had a better or more accurate picture they would use it. The only saving grace is if his offspring are really something DESPITE what the bull himself APPEARS to look like. Has anyone seen said offspring? I have not - but my experience with them is too minimal to be considered an accurate reflection.

angus9259":1e3fts5x said:
Has anyone seen said offspring? I have not - but my experience with them is too minimal to be considered an accurate reflection.

we have had quite a few of them and they look decent all the way till they are 2 yo or so as long as they have plenty of creep.

try raising one on grass-only. :lol2: :lol: :lol2: you will be very much let down.

The offspring ARE like the sire. Most aren't going to win many heifer shows, I don't know that you want them pawing through the snow behind NR's house living off dead grass or browsing the brush behind backhoe's house in July; but put the groceries in front of them and the data says they will grow faster than anything too date including Charolais, frame 8 mooses, Simmentals, you name it. Nothing beats them on paper. Today's Angus is a lot growthier breed than what we had in the 80s and Objective is growthier than MOST of today's Angus. +71 weaning weight and +124 Yearling weight is in the top 1% of the Angus breed. The question people need to be asking is: do we want to be feeding cows each winter in the upper 1% of the Angus breed for growth and bottom 5% for $EN.....probably bottom 1% but Angus's chart is not THAT detailed.

http://www.angus.org/Nce/PercentBreakdown.aspx

I've voiced my opinion of Objective before.... EPDs aren't everything. I still like for my cattle to have eye appeal and to be pheotypically and structurally sound. I will never use him and will only use a son that proves to not breed true to his sire.

Latest posts