the question of "objective"

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin":dkiza8sy said:
Unless you see them, your comment makes no sense. If you breed the right cow to the right bull - and know what you are doing - you get really good animals.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

"If you breed the right cow to the right bull............" I believe most everyone would agree with you there. "Right cow, right bull" reminds me of the old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Wonder how many of the large breeders with lots of data/experience have thought that was exactly what they were doing and didn't get the results they wanted? Genes don't always behave the way we would like. But that is what makes this business interesting. Have a good one.

TSR":3fdsxim4 said:
vclavin":3fdsxim4 said:
Unless you see them, your comment makes no sense. If you breed the right cow to the right bull - and know what you are doing - you get really good animals.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

"If you breed the right cow to the right bull............" I believe most everyone would agree with you there. "Right cow, right bull" reminds me of the old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Wonder how many of the large breeders with lots of data/experience have thought that was exactly what they were doing and didn't get the results they wanted? Genes don't always behave the way we would like. But that is what makes this business interesting. Have a good one.

I agree gene's do not always behave. Even when you have done all the right things, some gene's - for some unknown reason - shut themselves off and are not expressed.
I suppose the 100's of cows those large breeders have help with the "Russian roulette" effect of matching gene's.
I have been dissapointed and I have been really surprised. You are so right about the interesting part. Makes for exciting waits for data back from assoc.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

Val...it is not politically correct to breed cattle smart. In order to succeed, you have to do what the old timers do. New technology is not an option if you want to make money. Please don't embarrass the other posters here. :p

HerefordSire":1udf2uhd said:
Val...it is not politically correct to breed cattle smart. In order to succeed, you have to do what the old timers do. New technology is not an option if you want to make money. Please don't embarrass the other posters here. :p

NO, NO, NO!!! The other posters just eyeball everything and say it "needs to be THICKER, have more guts, and bigger nuts" (and a lot of times they are right).

Brandonm22":kre6e24w said:
HerefordSire":kre6e24w said:

NO, NO, NO!!! The other posters just eyeball everything and say it "needs to be THICKER, have more guts, and bigger nuts" (and a lot of times they are right).

Watch this example of taking the old timers to school:

Val.....what size/weight do you like your cattle to be in order to get top dollar and how is this different from your "Objective" cattle, if any?

While we won't be using Objective in our registered program, with his EPDs and son's performance, I think there's a place for him in the beef industry. Tell me who wouldn't want their feedlot steers gaining 5 lbs a day, plus good IMF? If you don't think he'll produce good daughters, don't use him. There are lots of "maternal" Angus bulls available. But he could do a lot for some cow herds as a terminal sire.

vclavin":1taxp1g8 said:
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

now that's a classic! :clap:

vclavin":1taxp1g8 said:
Our goal is Bw-0 , ww-50, yw-100 . We came up with this to keep away from the extremes in both directions.

speechless.

HerefordSire":1h2qz6mp said:
Brandonm22":1h2qz6mp said:
HerefordSire":1h2qz6mp said:

Watch this example of taking the old timers to school:

Val.....what size/weight do you like your cattle to be in order to get top dollar and how is this different from your "Objective" cattle, if any?
I have only 1 obj heifer, she is a 5.19 frame she weaned 600lbs and 930 yearling #16312451
My girls range from 4.26 frame to 6.20 fr ( I have 2 that are 1/2 sisters 6.20 and 6.21 frame)
Hard to give weights as some do, just one body condition score adds 100lbs to body weight. I did look them up, females are from 964lbs to 1806 lbs and range from 6 to a 9 condition score. Their weight is from grass and hay not grain.
I have 1 cow (5.83 frame) paid $2300.00 for her w/bull calf. Sold 3 bulls out of her $2500 each. The Obj heifer fits right in. I have several neighbors that are trying to get me to sell them bred heifers. They are willing to pay upwards of $1800 and never asked what kind of pedigree they had. I guess that means they look good? ;-)
Hope I answered your question
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

Are you for real? Or are you a regular posting under a nom de plume to get laughs?

You doing great if the answer is the latter!

WichitaLineMan":mdjdgaap said:
Are you for real? Or are you a regular posting under a nom de plume to get laughs?

I do not understand your comment. Please explain your problem with my answer.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

vclavin":239k9t7x said:
I have only 1 obj heifer, she is a 5.19 frame she weaned 600lbs and 930 yearling #16312451
My girls range from 4.26 frame to 6.20 fr ( I have 2 that are 1/2 sisters 6.20 and 6.21 frame)
Hard to give weights as some do, just one body condition score adds 100lbs to body weight. I did look them up, females are from 964lbs to 1806 lbs and range from 6 to a 9 condition score. Their weight is from grass and hay not grain.
I have 1 cow (5.83 frame) paid $2300.00 for her w/bull calf. Sold 3 bulls out of her $2500 each. The Obj heifer fits right in. I have several neighbors that are trying to get me to sell them bred heifers. They are willing to pay upwards of $1800 and never asked what kind of pedigree they had. I guess that means they look good? ;-)
Hope I answered your question
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

I would say you could be doing better than most of us. Maybe the more experienced would be willing to share their success.

vclavin":2eae7oaa said:
WichitaLineMan":2eae7oaa said:

I do not understand your comment. Please explain your problem with my answer.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

She's just being rude, Valerie. And off to post import topics like this one:

Quiz: What bull was named for the noted English wit and bon vivant and hero of Clyde Fitch's Comedy?
:lol:

>>She's just being rude<<

What part of WichitaLineMan do you not understand? I knew you were dense, but sheesh!

WLM....try "Hereford.org" or "Hereford.com" next time if it is not taken. :p

I tried to get you to select one last time remember?

WichitaLineMan":1olpbb72 said:

this is the only answer i can come up with.

vclavin":hht22chh said:
I see. If you are not smart enough to make money selling registered bulls, make fun of the one who is and does. AHA! :lol:
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

if you are sincerely posting your real thoughts, i hope you are very successful. but one day, you will look back and see how ridiculous those statements are. some/most on here can see it because we have been where you are and learned from it.

a few concepts that you will laugh at now and possibly see the wisdom later:
inbreeding is a serious tool for making breeding stock.
buying animals from anyone means your breeding results are inferior.
the further an animal is from average, the less likely he should be breeding instead of being eaten.
big yearling weights only lead to 1 thing in the end: a herd of big, inefficient cows.
if you are selling on EPDs to people that sell at weaning, $W should be your #1 index; $B is a complete waste.
any trait in the top or bottom 10% of the breed is extreme.
doing it "right" by big money seedstock standards will only last as long as you are willing to pour money and effort into it. You will get tired.
the only people making big money are the ones who sell expensive animals but don't buy them.
if a female cant raise a calf every year on strictly perennial grasses and hay (including as a heifer), she is wasting your money.
the laws of thermodynamics apply to cattle breeding.
the animals are supposed to work for you... not the other way around.

Latest posts