the question of "objective"

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":2ond4dvp said:
Unbelievable. Valerie, with an attitude like that, you'd better stick with the paid professionals. You're not going to get any help from the guyd in the trenches who actually deal with the cattle and the producers.
Frankie,
It's one thing to want to help me, it's another to think I should do all things your way. Shouldn't I have to right to make my own decisions with all the info I can get. I work with producers too. I'm telling you, around here low birthweight, growth, fertility and carcass sells. Your producers may not care , mine do.
So please take no offense to my not using everything you tell me, I have a need for all the info not just parts of it. I mean no insult to any of you, honest. I apologize if I have insulted you. I simply wish to gather info and make up my own mind.

I may be female, but I'm not stupid. LOL
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

Val....I would rather buy bulls from someone like you (and Frankie) that believes in science. You wouldn't believe all the ranchers here that invest thousands mainly concentrating on appearance.

Aero":2p1uasdk said:
vclavin":2p1uasdk said:
I'm now trying to find out exactly what the packer wants, that will tell me what to breed for.

are you selling bulls to the packer?

this idea is the basis for subsequent mistakes. make bulls that help your customers.
Aero,
No I do not have those connections. However, in order to meet the needs of the packer a producers needs are apparent. The closer you get to the packers needs the more profit a producer can make.
Example, there's a rancher that is feeding out his own 40 steers this year. Feedlot wants his calves as they finish 30 days earlier that anyone elses. ( Buys bulls from another breeder closer to him) You can bet that feedlots bids more for those cattle than others. Why? Makes him more money.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin
PS. Vet feeds out cattle, says he needs steers to weigh 1200 lbs by 15 months of age, but can't get them there.

vclavin":n7jrb624 said:
Frankie":n7jrb624 said:
Unbelievable. Valerie, with an attitude like that, you'd better stick with the paid professionals. You're not going to get any help from the guyd in the trenches who actually deal with the cattle and the producers.
Frankie,
It's one thing to want to help me, it's another to think I should do all things your way. Shouldn't I have to right to make my own decisions with all the info I can get. I work with producers too. I'm telling you, around here low birthweight, growth, fertility and carcass sells. Your producers may not care , mine do.
So please take no offense to my not using everything you tell me, I have a need for all the info not just parts of it. I mean no insult to any of you, honest. I apologize if I have insulted you. I simply wish to gather info and make up my own mind.

I may be female, but I'm not stupid. LOL
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

You haven't insulted me, but your comments like:

, I've not decided whether you know what you are doing yet.

you are not qualified to answer

There was another one to the effect that your neighbors raising Angus don't know what they're doing.

Those are just rude and unnecessary comments to people who are taking their time to try to help you. Then you turn around and say

you can help with your opinions on AI sires you like/dislike. Dispositions, and other things

How kind of you. :roll: I don't care what bulls you use on what cows. We've been at this a while, learned a lot, and will continue to do our own thing. You have your formula, go for it. But with your attitude, don't be surprised when no one plays with you on these boards.

HerefordSire":2ksn08o4 said:
Val....I would rather buy bulls from someone like you (and Frankie) that believes in science. You wouldn't believe all the ranchers here that invest thousands mainly concentrating on appearance.
Herefordsire,
Thanks. Do you AI much? Angus? Hereford?

Hubby would like some Black baldies, I just don't know enough about Herefords and their genetics. The ones we raised years ago just didn't milk or grow. My husband Loves Hereford cattle, his favorite.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

I feel your moveing in so many directions at once,that your never going to know what you have other than a bunch of paper.

Frankie":1bhr8qjy said:
You have your formula, go for it. But with your attitude, don't be surprised when no one plays with you on these boards.

Ah, Frankie, don't discourage her, HS has found another kindred spirit! :lol2:

vclavin":1bhr8qjy said:
just can't see throwing out all the experts - true experts - guidance and follow you?

Val, to me a TRUE EXPERT is a breeder who's been breeding cattle for 25 years or more and has a record of success from their efforts. When you look at the pedigrees of their cattle, you see most of the ancestors have their OWN prefix at the start of the names.

Most academics, breed representatives, and vets just don't have those kind of credentials. So I'm betting we have a difference of opinion on who the "experts" are!

Robert gave you some very good advice. You can choose to flippantly disregard it or choose to explore why his ideas MIGHT just have some validity.

I think you also need to bookmark these threads. If you're still breeding cattle 5 years from now, you need to look back at them - and you'll laugh at some of the statements you made!

Reading your posts, I'm reminded of the statement: "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts!"

George

vclavin":24n94944 said:
HerefordSire":24n94944 said:
Herefordsire,
Thanks. Do you AI much? Angus? Hereford?

Hubby would like some Black baldies, I just don't know enough about Herefords and their genetics. The ones we raised years ago just didn't milk or grow. My husband Loves Hereford cattle, his favorite.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

Yes, I have plenty of semen in tank. AI only Polled Herefords. Looks like you married a good one. :p

Herefords.US":myorw59n said:

Too bad she is married George. We could eat dinner talking probabilities of prepotency of specific bulls. :heart: :heart: :heart:

:mrgreen:

Frankie":bqs6kfup said:
Herefords.US":bqs6kfup said:

George

I think that's the truth. :)

Most ranchers use their fives senses in evaluating cattle. It is refreshing to meet someone that considers abstract evaluation as a high priority.

HerefordSire":2jxmonic said:
ollie?":2jxmonic said:
HerefordSire":2jxmonic said:
someone ---- that believes in science.
I'll bite. Define science.

Genetic evaluation and testing.
No university grad student , professor, etc. does more genetic research, evaluation and real world , practical testing that a rancher with good cow sense.

HerefordSire":1adsp4yf said:
Frankie":1adsp4yf said:
Herefords.US":1adsp4yf said:

George

I think that's the truth. :)

Most ranchers use their fives senses in evaluating cattle. It is refreshing to meet someone that considers abstract evaluation as a high priority.
Show me the abstract evaluation that doesn't use the five senses...

Reading your posts, I'm reminded of the statement: "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts!"

In my experience, I have found people that express their intuitive and innovative ideas and actions, to be voluntarily criticized, learn much faster. This could springboard Val to much greater knowledge than she already possesses in very little time. In other words, I think she is so intelligent, it appears like she could be a know it all, but she is using this board to learn much faster and board members underestimate her greatly.

ollie?":ti5nuhiq said:
No university grad student , professor, etc. does more genetic research, evaluation and real world , practical testing that a rancher with good cow sense.

Name one rancher (with or without common sense) besides Val that invests in DNA marker tests.

HerefordSire":3b14vd5w said:
ollie?":3b14vd5w said:

Name one rancher (with or without common sense) besides Val that invests in DNA marker tests.
Me and most all purebred breeders.

Latest posts