The Myth of Rural Culture

Help Support CattleToday:

DLD":12jhx2cy said:
My Dad stuck to the old line "neither a borrower or a lender be" and so that's how I grew up. But much as I love and respect his memory, I don't stick to some of his beliefs so well anymore. I don't borrow much - if it's something I need I figure I should own it, but occasionally I will borrow a tool or a piece of equipment. Like dun, I know some people that I'd loan any material thing I own, and some I wouldn't. Some things though (like say a gas can) I just figure as a donation - I'll lend those to someone in need with no expectation of return. Hopefully they'll pass along the favor...

If you lend a guy $20 and never see him again, it was a good investment!

dun":1a0jznj4 said:
Bestoutwest":1a0jznj4 said:
I don't loan anything out. I would let my neighbor take my trailer if they were in a pinch, but that's it. If my folks needed to borrow a vehicle, they'd get that too. Otherwise, I don't care how cool we are, I don't loan anything out.
I've got 2 neighbors that I would lend anything short of my wife. Got another one that I wouldn;t loan a pile of dog schitt.

I understand that! Some folks is great, others not so much. My wife is a borrower. She likes to ask the neighbors for stuff, says "Why should we buy it?" Well 1) I don't want to be a pain in the a$$ and 2) if they're using it, how am I supposed to use it?

And I've never understood owning cattle and not owning a trailer. That just doesn't make sense to me. That's like having a job two counties over and no car.

True Grit Farms":29rcrdjm said:
Rural culture is the only way I can survive and care to live. We have our problems in the country for sure but it beats living close to the cities all to heck and back. There's a big difference between cities, that Miami for instance, you can walk, shop and eat in little Havana. And you won't make it out of Liberty city with your money and be lucky to be alive. The demographics of the neighborhood makes all the difference in the world in the cities.
well said

I got a guy that is friends with my inlaws . a few yrs ago they asked me if I would mind letting them borrow my trailer to haul a couple calves to the slaughter house. I agreed and he uses it about 2 times a year. I don't have to clean it anymore because he washes it out for me . It getting about time for him to come get it again.

Bestoutwest":2w0d0the said:
[?
And I've never understood owning cattle and not owning a trailer. That just doesn't make sense to me. That's like having a job two counties over and no car.

I don't understand owning a trailer for a few cows. There are lots of people who will haul them a lot cheaper than owning a trailer. I will haul them for friends for free. For other people for a reasonable price if I have time. But I would never loan out my trailer.

I'm not crazy about lending things out any more (lent my nephew a 14' bumper pull stock trailer a few years ago and it got stolen out of his locked shop).
If I needed something, and I borrow it from someone else, and I tore it up somehow, even if it's not my fault or no one's fault, I have to fix it or replace it ($$$$) and I still won't have one of my own. Little things maybe, but if it has an engine, a motor, hooks up to a 3 point, or has tires/tracks, I don't borrow it.

Dave":1p834crv said:
Bestoutwest":1p834crv said:
[?

I don't understand owning a trailer for a few cows. There are lots of people who will haul them a lot cheaper than owning a trailer. I will haul them for friends for free. For other people for a reasonable price if I have time. But I would never loan out my trailer.
I haul for a friend of mine... He's an hour on the other side of the sale barn.. It's convenient for me, I bring mine in the night before, go to his place and spend the night, and if he has something to go I'll bring it on my way back.. The fellow has done me pages and pages of favors, and is one of the very few guys who I'd let drive my truck.. and one of the few that I'd let turn a wrench on it too. He has his own trailers, one is a little 2 horse that I've borrowed on occasion too.

Greybeard.. at least that theft wasn't from neglect, though it hurts nevertheless.. Neglect is the what pizzes me off.. broken tail lights, flat tires and the like

Dave":23mbvzca said:
Bestoutwest":23mbvzca said:
[?

We don't have many contacts that have cattle/horse trailers. Our neighbors are about it. The wife has ranching family in Jordan Valley that she helps out quite frequently, and takes her trailer over there all the time. Knowing how cattle work, I'd need it when she was using it out of town. It's peace-of-mind that costs a bit, but it will come in handy the longer I have it. We also use it to haul other things, but yes I understand where you're coming from.

it all depends on the community. there are definitely some good ones left but they are getting outnumbered if they aren't already.

Is this going on in other states?

Walmart and Home Depot/Lowes parking lots are where day laborers sell Heroin. There are syringes all over the parking lots. I took pics last time I was at Lowe's and kicked one. The junkies are shoplifting these places hard to pay for drugs.

What the f-ck happened?

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 482e9.html

JWBrahman":7gig3qqc said:

Walmart and Home Depot/Lowes parking lots are where day laborers sell Heroin. There are syringes all over the parking lots. I took pics last time I was at Lowe's and kicked one. The junkies are shoplifting these places hard to pay for drugs.

What the f-ck happened?

Opiate epidemic. You'd be shocked how many people are addicted and lots of them are from middle class "good" families.

I italicized good not because they aren't or to disparage in any way. Just making the point that it's all over and can happen to anybody.

I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday, mid 20s, 4 kids, 2 his 2 his wifes (but to him they are ALL his kids). They are living in a nice middle income neighborhood, no riffraff or junk houses around. They have to keep their garage locked and the kids toys out of the yard because of they neighbors junkie habits stealing everything. Hate to see that in MY home town.

JWBrahman":363cg209 said:

What the f-ck happened?

Yes. The Wal-Mart in Maysville has now started Checking receipts against items. Maybe that was occurring elsewhere already.

Furthermore, just look at the folks shopping. I sometimes think I have stepped onto the movie set of "Dawn of the Dead". Good ole rural America. Downtown Denver had far more class!

TennesseeTuxedo":dc1fahcz said:
JWBrahman":dc1fahcz said:

What the f-ck happened?

Opiate epidemic. You'd be shocked how many people are addicted and lots of them are from middle class "good" families.

I italicized good not because they aren't or to disparage in any way. Just making the point that it's all over and can happen to anybody.
Son in law and daughter are both pharmacist although daughter is not working now. Jeff comes home totally disgusted at the number of prescriptions they fill for opiates then watch them sell them outside. Moved to another pharmacy in a more affluent part of town and said there was no difference. The rich are addicted to the stuff as well.

TexasBred":1gz6cwlt said:
Son in law and daughter are both pharmacist although daughter is not working now. Jeff comes home totally disgusted at the number of prescriptions they fill for opiates then watch them sell them outside. Moved to another pharmacy in a more affluent part of town and said there was no difference. The rich are addicted to the stuff as well.

-I've got a provider that I work with that sends down a narcotic with every first time low back pain x-ray. I can tell b/c they have to have a special script for that.

-I can't tell you how many narcotics I got with my foot surgery. I'm glad to have gotten rid of them, but there were a lot of them. I also weaned myself from them as quickly as possible b/c I was NOT getting hooked.

Bestoutwest":80h8tld6 said:
TexasBred":80h8tld6 said:

-I've got a provider that I work with that sends down a narcotic with every first time low back pain x-ray. I can tell b/c they have to have a special script for that.

-I can't tell you how many narcotics I got with my foot surgery. I'm glad to have gotten rid of them, but there were a lot of them. I also weaned myself from them as quickly as possible b/c I was NOT getting hooked.

Remember the series "Justified" which was about the drug thugs in Harlan County? It was not as far fetched as some might think.

This goes across the news on a regular basis.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edky/pr/be ... escription

Regarding Justified: A news reporter who grew up in Harlan County gave this interview. Here is an excerpt:

The portrayal of redneck criminals isn't too far fetched. I had classmates in high school with Nazi tattoos and was forced to say goodbye to my best friend at the age of 20, when he died of an OxyContin overdose. My grandfather was dispatcher for the state police post in Harlan during the 70s, during the time portrayed in the Oscar winning documentary entitled Harlan County, USA as well, seeing many of the darker parts of the county first hand.

BTW: the character Mags Bennent was based on the real life Mags Bennent!

Bestoutwest":rdsmh2ce said:
Had a tooth pulled several years ago. Got pretty painful that afternoon so called dentist and he said he would sent a script to pharmacy. Went to get it and it was for 30 Oxy pills.....took one and flushed the rest.

There was a kid my sons age that was super intelligent, from a good family, way above average athlete and a super personality. He was funny and witty.
People were drawn to him.
My son told me if he had a 10th of the gifts Michael Nance had he'd conquer the world.
Anyway he went off to college and got hooked on prescription drugs.
He got his degree and was successful in life.
If y'all watched the bachelor he was on there.
Went on and made a name for himself in Crossfit.
He could do anything he wanted to.
He was an amazing young man.
OD'd and died a few months ago.
Just another tragic tale of drug addiction

Latest posts