The dog bit somebody

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caustic Burno":2z4lmtpn said:
SteppedInIt":2z4lmtpn said:
Caustic Burno":2z4lmtpn said:
I would have shot the dog and let the law sort it out while I was getting stitched up.
If someone came on my property and shot my dog, they would be lucky to be getting stitched up.

Bigfoot who the heck called the cops? The victim? :lol:
That is where the law would sort it out as I said and I would win in Texas
Fifty cent dog has never and will never be worth the price of visitor.
Your are screwed up on this it is a dam dog.
I would have shot that syht eater before we left for the ER had that been my visitor
I'm 100% with you, while the lady was on her way to ER I would have taken him out back and sent him to meet his maker. There are to many dogs in this world to keep a problem. I've put down more than my fair share and I see it happening with my current blue heeler male. He is banged up and hurts and some people pet him to rough but in the end it will be him biting and me ended the chance to do it again

She approached a growling dog that was with your daughter and got bit instead of leaving it alone? It sounds to me like the lady got to pay the stupid tax. I would not worry about it. That is animal behavior 101. If they are growling and have their hair standing up leave them the heck alone.

So your dog is banged up and your letting people pet him too rough? What kind of thought process is that? Maybe you should get him some vet help if he is injured?

Till-Hill":2hw0j6re said:
Caustic Burno":2hw0j6re said:
SteppedInIt":2hw0j6re said:
If someone came on my property and shot my dog, they would be lucky to be getting stitched up.

I would have shot that syht eater before we left for the ER had that been my visitor
I'm 100% with you, while the lady was on her way to ER I would have taken him out back and sent him to meet his maker. There are to many dogs in this world to keep a problem. I've put down more than my fair share and I see it happening with my current blue heeler male. He is banged up and hurts and some people pet him to rough but in the end it will be him biting and me ended the chance to do it again

jallen the dog is living out a good life doing what he loves. But we get salesmen, milk hauler, you name it someone in here every day. So far he is good about walking away but I can see that someone is going to touch his hip or something and he may snap. In the end I'm responsible for my dog and it's actions. My dog is not worth more than a human's life

jallen":rbdh9lia said:
So your dog is banged up and your letting people pet him too rough? What kind of thought process is that? Maybe you should get him some vet help if he is injured?

There's a whole new mind set out in PUBLIC these days. I was taught young (VERY YOUNG) that it is bad ethics to pet or befriend someone else's dog. We've had this discussion on CT before and people thought I was kidding. I am not. I would never walk up to someone's dog and try to make friends with it. Not even a family member's dog.

John Q Public thinks they should walk up and pet your dogs, your cows, your horses................... I don't get it

talltimber":360yyvo1 said:
Sorry about your luck. This is a tough one. I just have a hard time faulting the dog, depending on the circumstances that we don't know. If she kicked at him, it's on her, unless he was charging anyway. Just don't know.

I have a black lab. The first year I took him to work with me daily. Could count of one hand the days we were apart in the first year. I don't know if that helped our problem develop or not. He has been passive aggressive most of his life, and unusual for a lab in my experience. If he's in the passenger seat and a stranger walks up, he growls and turns away. I had a mat I "placed" him on (a command we learned most often used to place him on a stump or something while hunting) in the shop. Every driver I'd tell, "Don't pet the dog, leave him alone". Almost without fail, they'd say dogs like me and go to him, him growling the whole time. Some people don't have much sense. All my hunting buddies knew him, and knew to leave him alone. After a few trips together, he'd warm up to them, go to them and most often let them pet him, but on his terms. Otherwise it was hackles up, walking away, growling. Never approached someone growling. But I watched him, and still do, like a hawk when new people are around. A dog like mine, and now yours, demands a constant state of awareness about what is going on around you and the dog, to head off the dog being put in a bad spot.

If a dog charges/bites for no good reason, that's one thing, but if he was kicked at or she "cornered him" and forced the issue, you get what you get.

Good post.

hillbilly beef man":223r410c said:
She approached a growling dog that was with your daughter and got bit instead of leaving it alone? It sounds to me like the lady got to pay the stupid tax. I would not worry about it. That is animal behavior 101. If they are growling and have their hair standing up leave them the heck alone.

Yup, seems some on these boards don't know that. Pretty simple concept to grasp.

M-5":2dr9181w said:
Bigfoot":2dr9181w said:
jallen":2dr9181w said:
Define forced him to smell her?

Slightly more details today, as of lunch actually:

The lady pulled up, and my daughter and the dog were playing in the yard. My daughter and the dog ran up to the vehicle. The dog was barking (as usual). When the lady got out, all the hair on the dogs neck stood up, and he showed his teeth. The lady started approaching the dog, sweet talking, and bending down with her hand out asking him to smell her. Dog went for her shin, and my daughter whacked him with a rubber chicken. All the details I have, at this point.

The dog did his job. I suggest you buy him a treat.
:lol: :clap: It's a shame to have to assume people have no sense and one has to walk around worrying about what someone might do on your property. Sounds like the dog made it clear it didn't like the woman and she insisted to the dog. :???: Doesn't sound like she was attacked but provoked the dog. The only way to idiot proof your property is to keep them off.

A big time farmer in our community who sells hay by the bale usually has a yard full of dogs ranging from a big old yellow lab down to a Heeler and a couple of mutts. They bark and raise all manner of he!! when you pull in and fairly well swarm you when you step out of the truck. I stand very still, let them sniff me all they wish and NEVER EVER put my hand down in their bite zone or make any sudden movements until they are satisfied I pose no thread. After a few minutes I can move around freely and even pet them on the head but the key is I let them get comfortable with me on their terms not mine.

Why not just keep the dog from getting into that situation? Maybe some remadyl or something to help if he's arthritic. Any dog will bite if you start hurting them.
Till-Hill":21nlyewo said:
jallen the dog is living out a good life doing what he loves. But we get salesmen, milk hauler, you name it someone in here every day. So far he is good about walking away but I can see that someone is going to touch his hip or something and he may snap. In the end I'm responsible for my dog and it's actions. My dog is not worth more than a human's life

There is no doubt. I deal with numerous dogs everyday but never have he urge to pet on another persons dog. It's just not smart to do. Especially if the dog is saying stay away lol. What a dummy

backhoeboogie":3lppd592 said:
jallen":3lppd592 said:

There's a whole new mind set out in PUBLIC these days. I was taught young (VERY YOUNG) that it is bad ethics to pet or befriend someone else's dog. We've had this discussion on CT before and people thought I was kidding. I am not. I would never walk up to someone's dog and try to make friends with it. Not even a family member's dog.

John Q Public thinks they should walk up and pet your dogs, your cows, your horses................... I don't get it

I feel for you this is a sticky situation. My mom has a welch corgie that can be a little shyt at times but he's her new baby since she doesn't have children in the house any more other than her grandchildren. a couple of years ago we were all over there and I had taken my nephew to the back of the ranch to go hog hunting, my wife, my parents and my two kids were at the house. I get a frantic phone call from my wife telling me that my son needed to go to the ER now. To make a long story short, he was playing with his toy tractor (he was about 2 then) in my parents bedroom and the dog was under the bed, he pushed his little tractor up under the bed and that litter MFer came out and bit the end of his nose OFF. At the time all we were worried about was my son and we just assumed that the dog would be gone when we got back. WRONG. It has caused tension in the family now because my wife and I would love to see that little turd burn in hejj. Mom and dad just want to act like nothing happened and it will go away but its hard to forget because my son had to have a skin graft on the end of his nose and will carry a scar forever.

If it had been one of my dogs, they would have met with a bullet as soon as I got home, but its my moms little baby and he's still there. We all get along fine and I still go over there nearly daily and my wife and kids are there a lot too, but the rule is that the dog has to be locked up and out of sight if my kids are around which my mom thinks is ridiculous but I told her its either that or Ill kill him next time he even acts like he might bite my kids.

jallen":2r37eowp said:
Why not just keep the dog from getting into that situation? Maybe some remadyl or something to help if he's arthritic. Any dog will bite if you start hurting them.
Till-Hill":2r37eowp said:
We have tried few different things with him. Works for a short time. If his quality of life goes down much more we will put him down.

When I was about 5, my 80yo great grandma pulled in the yard, and the rest of the story is almost exactly like Bigfoot''s. We didn't shoot the dog, but gramma learned to stay in the car when that dog was loose! Common sense, that dog did not know her, and would have killed her to protect me. We were more careful about when the dog was loose, and great grandma was smarter about approaching a child and dog that didn't recognize her.

We have 4 purebred ACDs and one beagleXACD now. I have seen what they will do when something threatens my child. Even the most timid one, will take on the devil to protect her. I know the liability and am reasonably careful and diligent. If people I know are at the farm and the dog isn't familiar with them, they get kenneled up. If we are doing outside stuff and I have to worry about my daughter's safety, they are expected to be by her side. Now, if you are not welcome at the farm, are there at odd hours with an unknown vehicle, or trying to harm my child- you will get no apology from me for my dogs doing exactly what a cattle/farm dog is supposed to do!

I think it is useful to remember that a good cattle dog is a tool. It can be hard to avoid humanizing them, if possible at all. Trust me, mine were my best buddies for years as a kid. Make them do their job, and find a way to avoid the liability of a bored cattle dog. A little kennel time may be a good route when you dog is not being used, not saying lock him up all the time, just be mindful of when it might be a good idea.....just my :2cents:

Caustic Burno":3ucyk01q said:
SteppedInIt":3ucyk01q said:
Caustic Burno":3ucyk01q said:
I would have shot the dog and let the law sort it out while I was getting stitched up.

So if one of them brimmer girls runs over a visitor you'll shoot it right? Same difference

Lot of difference in someone going in your pasture behind closed gates and someone driving up to your house for a visit or lost.
Always amazed me you could tell a man his wife is screwing the entire Red Chinese Army behind his back and he will go home and confront her.
Tell him his dog is destroying property or biting someone not his dog.
That dog is just as guilty of assaulting someone and the owner as well.
You can't go out and attack someone in your own front yard with out just cause or go to jail.

Trying to get a dog to smell you is usually what people do to show them that they aren;t a threat!

dun":1ll093zl said:
Trying to get a dog to smell you is usually what people do to show them that they aren;t a threat!

That doesn't make it a good idea. I'd let him smell my leg or foot, not stick my hand in his face, just saying.... :hide:

What I find amusing is if the thread had read " lady gets bitten by my dog trying to take my daughter." You all would be praising the dog. What most can't seem to comprehend is people with common sense realize both senerios are the same to the dog. He did his job. These are animals they don't think like we do. People that can't understand that should not own any animals or go anywhere where animals are.

M-5":18uaimld said:
What I find amusing is if the thread had read " lady gets bitten by my dog trying to take my daughter." You all would be praising the dog. What most can't seem to comprehend is people with common sense realize both senerios are the same to the dog. He did his job. These are animals they don't think like we do. People that can't understand that should not own any animals or go anywhere where animals are.
I understand perfectly and reguardless that is a dead dog if it is mine.
The dog is not worth the liability he is just lucky she is not suing the heck out of him.

Again it is a dog.
Life is to short to put up with problem animals.
But then again it just might be my generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts