The dog bit somebody

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Very regrettable, but it happened. Friend of the family stopped by to get something from my wife. Some exchange took place between her and the dog, after she got out of her vehicle. She ended up getting bit on the leg. Bad enough, we had to run her to the ER. I insisted that she tell the truth about what happened. Minutes later, the law shows up. As a good friend of the family, she doesn't want to press charges, so the law stands down. I'd say when her health insurance finds out it was a dog bite, a bill will show up at my house. Homeowners might pay, but I've got a huge deductible (I'm riding out a bad streak, lucky to even have insurance). Very thankful, that no more came of it. Still remains to be decided, if it'll cost me any cashola or not.

Honestly, had no idea that the dog would bite. Sorry it happened to her, just thankful it wasn't a child.

Not sure what to do about the dog? Best dog it ever was (you know how that goes). Part of me thinks well, she was trying to get him to smell of her, and hopefully quit barking. Maybe nobody else will do that. No real assurance what a visitor will do. I will definitely put him up when someone is over. I can't monitor that 100%. Sometimes people come over when your not around.

Not blaming her, and I hope nobody else does. Some might blame me, and that's fine to. I live back off the road aways, and just didn't have this kind of situation on my mind. I don't mind to tie him, when somebody is over. I have zero interest in tying him all the time---------Does that make me bad?

What do others do with a dog that has a history of biting? I don't want anybody hurt. I also don't want my stuff stolen. Maybe it's not as big of a dilemma as I'm making of it. Can't justify waiting to see if he does it again. I was home, when it happened, but not close. Only one of my kids was there. Maybe the dog was protecting her? Maybe the dog is an idiot, and needs put up? I'm not going to have anything I can't enjoy. Truly stumped here. Or, is it obvious to everybody but me?

Daddy thinks if you get bit by dog, it's your fault. I'm trying to make it the new millennium. Even if that mentality is true (not saying it is). That thought process won't take you very far in 2016. Might get somebody hurt to.

It's a tough call.. Though if the dog has bitten someone before, and it happens again, could it set the first bite as a precedent, increasing your liability or nullifying your insurance coverage?

I'm wary of dogs, and if I don't know the dog well I'll just stay put in my vehicle.. I haven't had any bites, and plan to keep it that way.. some people are far too friendly to dogs they don't know well.. and well.. part of a good farm dog's duty is to protect the place.

I'm no expert on insurance, but unless you file on your own home owners, I don't think they will get involved at all. I think you can breath easy that her insurance will cover her- except deductible. The cost of litigation for a minor incident wouldn't be worth it to try prove fault on a deal like that.

If your dog is a healer- seems like I recall you posting about one but I might be way off. I love them. But they have a pretty good reputation to be biters. Sometimes because they are being protective- they're very protective of their owners and territory, other times because a running target presents itself- just in their nature.

We lived on the edge of town so our heeler was kept in the fence. He still nipped a lawyer one day because I let him out so he'd pee while I was lacing up my boots- guy was out for a jog. Got a kid that ran through the back yard running from the cops. Neither were significant bites- but he wasn't a real vicious dog. He just couldn't help chasing. If your pup bit her and she wasn't trying to run away and he inflicted a serious bite, I'd lean toward him being protective.

Probably a high chance of happening again. Brother had one that wouldn't let people out of the car. Kept a lot of riffraff away which was good with young kids. But they had to put her up each time someone was coming out.

Knowing what you have is half the battle to deciding the best way to proceed. I'm against any dogs running free in town. But when you live out in the country, I think a protective dog, as long as it stays at home, belongs in the plus column- especially with kids that go traipsing around by themselves. You just have to be cognizant when people are coming around. A real friendly dog might not deter much.

Putting up signs might help family and friends, but I think I heard it can open you up to more legal problems.

If I go to someone else's place and there are dogs around I would not get out of the car until the owner arrived and either locked the dogs away or controlled them. I feel that your friend was careless even though she did not seem to provoke the dog, the situation could have been avoided. The onus would be on her to prove otherwise should she take matter further. Perhaps just notify your insurers of the incident just in case of 'worst scenario'. As for your dog, it was protecting your family and property and has never reacted in this way before...but you will have to take measures to insure there are no repeat incidences otherwise you could be in some big trouble.
Only my :2cents:

There is an old saying here that a dog is allowed one bite. That is not really the case but in essence you are not liable for damage that your dog does if you are not aware that the dog has a propensity to bite. Signs like beware of the dog are an obvious admission that you dog has a propensity to bite so a lot of people have milder signs now like dogs loose so not admitting anything.
Now that you are aware of his propensity to bite you do have to be carefull. In Australia if it is known you have an Australian Cattle dog on the loose most people would not get out of the car, they shoot first and ask questions later, the dog does that is. Best of luck resolving the situation Bigfoot.
Ken

I'm very sorry that it happened. Dogs present me with a dilemma too. I like having a dog that will bark and let it be known that a visitor is around. It seems a lot of these farm dogs can get defensive of their people and property. I had a Blue Heeler that way. Had a Great Pyrenees that had to be kept in the barn, he was gentle as a kitten with me or my mother, but extremely aggressive towards anybody else, had to make sure that he didn't get to anybody. That big booming bark, and loud growl was most likely a good deterrent. Now I have a Border Collie, that has to be watched pretty close, his big issue is that he is wary of people trying to pet him. He doesn't like a lot of noise or activity. He is more defensive if I am close by, he seems to be more congenial if I am not in his sight. I try to put him up when strangers come around, especially children, he has never been around children and I definitely don't want to risk getting them hurt. Some neighbors get along ok with him, by just ignoring him.
I would recommend that you, or other members of your family be watchful when somebody comes by, and maybe put the dog up or tie him while they are there.

Put up a BEWARE OF DOG sign or two. Let the people you want on your property know to be cautious and not get out if their vehicle until a family member is present. Trespassers deserve what they get. I assume your property is posted against unwanted visitors?

My in laws used to have a pair of Austrailian Sheppards that you didn't dare exit your car until they recognized you.

Its pretty simple in my mind. The dog did what it was supposed to do. PROTECT. This incident only happened because the dog felt threated IMO. I have been bitten and I have had a dog that has bitten someone. The solution to this situation is to post signs warning of this . while it might not help in a legal issue it will tell a visitor that there is the chance of it happening. with all of that being said if a screw has come loose in his head and he bites everyone for no reason I would kill the Dog with out a second thought.

That is the last walk here over the hill.
Life is to short to be worrying over a dog every time someone comes to the house. This is t like a kid or something had a dog hemmed up and was mistreating the dog and it defended itself.
I am a dog person but a biting dog here is not going to make it.

Ain't having a biting dog on my place. I'd shoot him myself. Why he bit is not the question. Sure hope he's had his rabies shots etc.

My wife brought her blue heeled with her when we got married that I had to be careful with. She liked my wife, me, her mom and dad, and my dad and that was it. When we had company she got shut up. Not a problem for us as we rarely have visitors, and the only surprise visitors we ever have are Jehovia Witnesses. But we live quite a ways off the road. I could see that this would be a problem if you have more people that drop by. If you don't have much company just shut her up when someone is coming.

I had a dog (springer spaniel) that turned mean for no apparent reason once. Some fellas from the BBC showed up one day, and despite my warning to not go near the fence, one guy did and got bit on the face. Around here, if your dog bites someone and has to go to the hospital, you get a call from the dog warden. They said I was required to quarantine the dog for X number of days due to rabies. I told the warden to come get him and quarantine him himself, and to put him down when the quarantine was over. This is a long winded way to warn you that you may get a call from the dog warden.

Caustic Burno":3j63bmwy said:
That is the last walk here over the hill.
Life is to short to be worrying over a dog every time someone comes to the house. This is t like a kid or something had a dog hemmed up and was mistreating the dog and it defended itself.
I am a dog person but a biting dog here is not going to make it.

TexasBred":3j63bmwy said:
Ain't having a biting dog on my place. I'd shoot him myself. Why he bit is not the question. Sure hope he's had his rabies shots etc.
Sums up my position on the issue very well. Couldn;t have said it any better.

I think if you didn't see what happened it's not justifiable to put the dog down. Did she make a sudden move at it? Did push it out of the way? Did it feel uneasy in the situation? Part of a dog's job is to protect (I know this has been said earlier, but I truly believe it), and if it felt that's what it needed to do, well....I have a Corgi. Cute as a button, but if anything ever happened all angry 12 lbs of it probably wouldn't do much. I didn't want one b/c they can't protect the house/family/cattle/etc while I'm not there, but I got voted out.

Bottom line: If you weren't there, and don't know all the circumstances, I wouldn't do it.

I should just let this lie but I can;t. What bothers me the most is that the dog will bear the brunt of the repurcussions, but it's the owners fault. Part of the responsibility of owning a dog is socializing it unless it's to be a TRAINED guard dog. Operative word being "trained". Unless the owner is attacked, there is no reason for a dog to bite unless told to or to defend itself. And even to defend itself the proper course of action for the dog is probably to flee the attack. Socialization starting as pup is just part of the proper training for any dog.

Id also be curious to see the extent of the injury, I find it hard to believe that a single bite would require a trip to the hospital, Peroxide and a little blue coat would fix her right up imo

Sounds to me the Dog was being a dog guarding its home and protecting its love ones. Most dogs will give you an idea or tell if its planning on biting. Aggressive barking, growling etc.... Sounds like the visitor was being careless. Now if the dog is a idiot biting all the time, vicious towards anything that moves it would need to be dealt with harshly. Being a Heeler I doubt that's the case. If it's a Pit Bull or Boxer go ahead and shoot it, they are worthless in my opinion.

I'll also agree with Dun a bit the owner should try their best to keep their dog from biting through training. Like Dun said not to bite unless told so. But at the same time there are mean people out there that pick on animals, if the owner isn't around to give the command will the dog just set there and take the mistreatment. I know that isn't the case here just thought I would throw that out there. I'm sure Bigfoot doing his best training the pup, no one gonna be able to train one perfect.

dun":2adygobp said:
I should just let this lie but I can;t. What bothers me the most is that the dog will bear the brunt of the repurcussions, but it's the owners fault. Part of the responsibility of owning a dog is socializing it unless it's to be a TRAINED guard dog. Operative word being "trained". Unless the owner is attacked, there is no reason for a dog to bite unless told to or to defend itself. And even to defend itself the proper course of action for the dog is probably to flee the attack. Socialization starting as pup is just part of the proper training for any dog.

That is a broad brush your painting with. sure its the owner responsibility but we also do not know what provoked the situation.
Bigfoot":2adygobp said:
Some exchange took place between her and the dog, after she got out of her vehicle. She ended up getting bit on the leg. to get him to smell of her, and hopefully quit barking. Maybe nobody else will do that. No real assurance what a visitor will do. .
Did she kick at him?????? if So she deserved to be bitten. did she make a sudden move toward the child??? if so she deserved to be bitten.... Has the dog ever shown any aggression toward anyone else????? dogs have a sense about people and they can detect it.

I know what your sayin, and I do admit fault. I won't be putting the dog down though. Especially, since I wasn't eye witness to the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.