The dog bit somebody

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
She did not kick at him, but did try to force him to smell her. She was hit on the leg, but not the hand. So it's really hard to say what all transpired.

FlyingLSimmentals":1hw0h9x9 said:
Sounds to me the Dog was being a dog guarding its home and protecting its love ones. Most dogs will give you an idea or tell if its planning on biting. Aggressive barking, growling etc.... Sounds like the visitor was being careless. Now if the dog is a idiot biting all the time, vicious towards anything that moves it would need to be dealt with harshly. Being a Heeler I doubt that's the case. If it's a Pit Bull or Boxer go ahead and shoot it ,they are worthless in my opinion.

I think corgis and Chihuahua, shitzu , border collies, german shepards are worthless IMO so lets shoot them too.

Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have no advice on what to do with the dog because he's your dog. But you need to warn folks that the dog will bite, he's proven that now. So far in my lifetime I've had 3 different dogs bite folks while on a chain. Sometimes it's the person's fault that they get bit.
You are responsible for what your dog does, good bad or otherwise.

Unacceptable to me under any circumstance unless someone was actually dragging your child off.

Bit a non-aggressive female on the leg? I'll bet this dog bites again, hope it's not a child. I get tired of watching the news when somebodies child's face is bitten and disfigured because something should have been done about a known biter.

I hate visiting places with aggressive dogs, ruins the visit for me. My uncle had heelers, they wouldn't let you out of the truck, acted like they wanted to kill you. Aggressive dogs give you a false sense of security, if a thief knows enough that you are going to be gone, they will know to take care of the dog. Bet your kids have bonded with this dog, tough spot to be in. I would rather our visitors be annoyed by our overly affectionate dogs than be in fear.

M-5":1zjz1074 said:
FlyingLSimmentals":1zjz1074 said:
Sounds to me the Dog was being a dog guarding its home and protecting its love ones. Most dogs will give you an idea or tell if its planning on biting. Aggressive barking, growling etc.... Sounds like the visitor was being careless. Now if the dog is a idiot biting all the time, vicious towards anything that moves it would need to be dealt with harshly. Being a Heeler I doubt that's the case. If it's a Pit Bull or Boxer go ahead and shoot it ,they are worthless in my opinion.

I think corgis and Chihuahua, be nice , border collies, german shepards are worthless IMO so lets shoot them too.

I will agree with the Chihuahua and German Shepard. The little yappy dogs are just irritating. And the last dog to bite me was a German Shepard so wiping out the breed is a good idea. However, Corgis are too short legged to make a serious bite above the ankle and Border Collies don't seem to bother people if left alone.

You do know why it's called "heeler" right?

It's what the dog is bred for, it's in it's nature to bite legs.

Kell-inKY":1qred66z said:

Yes, Ive had heelers and if this woman had of got out of her car and done her business without forcing the dog to smell her she would not have been bitten most likely. She is to blame IMO.

M-5":3dwk2pep said:
Kell-inKY":3dwk2pep said:

Yes, Ive had heelers and if this woman had of got out of her car and done her business without forcing the dog to smell her she would not have been bitten most likely. She is to blame IMO.

If this woman were your daughter would it change things? be honest, what if it were a young child of yours?

M-5":1p63fy4k said:
Bigfoot":1p63fy4k said:
She did not kick at him, but did try to force him to smell her. She was hit on the leg, but not the hand. So it's really hard to say what all transpired.

How did that require a trip to ER, deep gash???

Looked bad in person. I mean nasty. Only 2 stitches Come to find out.

skyhightree1":1nk215wt said:
Bigfoot":1nk215wt said:
Honestly, had no idea that the dog would bite. quote]

Does it have teeth ?

Yea, 4 feet and a heart beat. Mind of its own to. I've got over 250 animals on my place today. Any, and all (except the cat), are capable of inflicting harm.

Not even sure the dog is remotely the most dangerous.

Bigfoot":akhphz8d said:
skyhightree1":akhphz8d said:
Bigfoot":akhphz8d said:
Honestly, had no idea that the dog would bite. quote]

Does it have teeth ?

Yea, 4 feet and a heart beat. Mind of its own to. I've got over 250 animals on my place today. Any, and all (except the cat), are capable of inflicting harm.

cats can bite and scratch to

And since you have cows and bulls and horses im going to say your dog is pretty low on the list of most dangerous animal

Kell-inKY":y3579c50 said:
M-5":y3579c50 said:
Kell-inKY":y3579c50 said:

If this woman were your daughter would it change things? be honest, what if it were a young child of yours?

IF the frog didn't jump he wouldn't bump his azz. Your comment is what's wrong with the world today. trying to make someone else responsible for your actions. Things happen. Bleeding hearts can think up any scenario they want to justify what if's. and the truth is no one can prevent everything from happening it just does and people should use common sense and move on. To answer the question It would be tragic if it were mine that it happened too but in the real world I live in all I can do is pray it never does. I prefer that an individual has the right to do what they want on their property . If I or anyone enters said property I enter at my own risk. As long as We are contemplating "what IF's" suppose you and I are setting under the shade tree and a Limb falls out and breaks my arm. You would be irresponsible for having trees in your yard by your definition.

Bigfoot":3f5l16yx said:
Not the issue,
and I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, but...

Dog is now a known biter (law was involved, ER etc.) It's the most social animal on your farm greeting every single visitor you have over, including your kids friends who probably roughhouse with each other which the dog could mistake for aggression. So from now on there will always be that question of if he will bite again.

So, if the dog ever does bite someone again, you can bet your ass you will be sued if it's little Johnny or Mary Sue.

I don't like worrying about stuff like that, but it's your dog. I don't understand when we started humanizing animals, I know for a fact that my Dad would have put a bullet in this dogs head no hesitation.

M-5":2nfiqqjy said:
the truth is no one can prevent everything from happening.

You may be right, maybe there was no indication the dog would bite somebody, I'm sure it was never aggressive to any visitor in the past............ Anyway, the NEXT dog bite can and should be prevented.

I don't think you answered my question very well but you seem to really want to put the blame on the lady? You seem OK with a dog biting someone even if they were in essence only doing what any normal visitor would do? If my wife were visiting a friend and was bitten as she was walking, I would in no way blame my wife, she didn't put her leg in the dogs mouth.

Lucky they didn't shoot the dog right there it is legal in Texas if you are being attacked. Whole lot of liability for a dog a lot of homeowners policies won't cover certain breeds here any longer in the event of an attack.
I would have shot the dog and let the law sort it out while I was getting stitched up.

Health department just called. They stopped by the house to confirm he was quarantined, and he was of course. I can take him with me when I leave, but I'll have to use the precautions that I already use, so that was not to bad.

If I stretch my imagination, I can see where Kell is coming from. I didn't see what happened, and the two accounts I have are from a child, and a hysterical person. I won't be shooting him over this. The problem is, that now we have a first time. That's what makes it difficult.

Kell-inKY":3mmesyld said:
M-5":3mmesyld said:
the truth is no one can prevent everything from happening.

You may be right, maybe there was no indication the dog would bite somebody, I'm sure it was never aggressive to any visitor in the past............ Anyway, the NEXT dog bite can and should be prevented.

I don't think you answered my question very well but you seem to really want to put the blame on the lady? You seem OK with a dog biting someone even if they were in essence only doing what any normal visitor would do? If my wife were visiting a friend and was bitten as she was walking, I would in no way blame my wife, she didn't put her leg in the dogs mouth.

Every place you go you enter at your own risk . BF stated the lady tried to force the dog to smell her. YES The lady is at fault. This does not seem to be a situation of just walking and being nipped. Yes the dog is known as a biter now SO you hang a sign on the gate that warns the ignorant people that drive up. It is private property and he has every right to have a hundred dogs that bite. Lets say your wife is being attacked and your mutt comes over and licks the bad guy on the cheek while he is having his way with her. That a good dog right????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts