Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz":3glxa2kh said:
KNERSIE":3glxa2kh said:
I ain't in love with him or nothing. Let er rip. As long as you don't call me anything vulgar or offensive. We're good

Since you asked...

He is a touch too straight in the hocks forcing his pasterns to take over the role as shock absorbers, forcing them swallower than the ideal, especially on the left hind foot. As far as beef conformation goes, he has decent bone, a good hip and rear quarter, but not much muscle on the top beyong the loin towards the chine. Looking at his fore-arm it confirms that he could have been better muscled.

Not the worst bull ever posted here by a long shot, but since brangus is a breed with a lot of longevity bred into them I for sure won't use him to make replacements, soundness, being a conformational trait is (un)fortunately very heritable, so it's best to err on the conservative side when it comes to bulls used for producing the next generation of cows in your herd.

That's the type of critiquing I enjoy reading on here. Opinions and information that you can learn by.
Yes, very good assessment Knersie. I am thinking that at only 18 mos. you may see more muscle development as he approaches 2-3 years if on enough protein. Am I wrong? I realize that will not help the calves that are going to slaughter, but he could look a bit different in another year.

Snapped these with my phone, 3 year old is the lead sire with the last pic being a yearling that will see some heifers in a month.

Here is some updated photos.. Simbrah that just turned 2 a couple of weeks ago.

081_zps7qzjsqhx.png

062_zpskslz1tgt.jpg

068_zpsvgcfqezu.jpg

branguscowgirl":3172prnt said:
KNERSIE":3172prnt said:
Since you asked...

He is a touch too straight in the hocks forcing his pasterns to take over the role as shock absorbers, forcing them swallower than the ideal, especially on the left hind foot. As far as beef conformation goes, he has decent bone, a good hip and rear quarter, but not much muscle on the top beyong the loin towards the chine. Looking at his fore-arm it confirms that he could have been better muscled.

Not the worst bull ever posted here by a long shot, but since brangus is a breed with a lot of longevity bred into them I for sure won't use him to make replacements, soundness, being a conformational trait is (un)fortunately very heritable, so it's best to err on the conservative side when it comes to bulls used for producing the next generation of cows in your herd.

Yes, very good assessment Knersie. I am thinking that at only 18 mos. you may see more muscle development as he approaches 2-3 years if on enough protein. Am I wrong? I realize that will not help the calves that are going to slaughter, but he could look a bit different in another year.

It is completely irrelevant what a bull looks like at three if he is sorry at one and a half year of age. What he looks like at the age his sons will be when they go to the slaughter house is what counts.

ANAZAZI":4yncg64h said:
branguscowgirl":4yncg64h said:
KNERSIE":4yncg64h said:
Since you asked...

It is completely irrelevant what a bull looks like at three if he is sorry at one and a half year of age. What he looks like at the age his sons will be when they go to the slaughter house is what counts.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is completely irrelevant what a bull looks like at three if he is sorry at one and a half year of age. What he looks like at the age his sons will be when they go to the slaughter house is what counts.[/quote]

Absolutely! :tiphat:

To me neither matters. I don't and neither do most of the cattleman I know raise their bulls at 18 months in anyway similar to what a feedlot raises steers they want to slaughter. It is so apples to oranges one almost doesn't have much to do with the other. It is all a crap shoot.

Unless I want to compare a bull that has been weaned and recieves a little feed here and there to keep him going and in my pastures at 18 months is at least getting some light to moderate breeding work in so he will be in his working clothes and I don't want him to get to big or fat too fast anyway to a steer that has been castrated more than likely had two rounds of growth horomones in his ear and is on an unlimited supply of a super hot feed to pack as many pounds on him as possible and the most exercise he gets is standing on a pile or dirt and crap most of the day.

The only way to know what a bulls calves will do in a feedlot at 14 + months of age is to have some of his calves and track them and see how they perform in a feedlot at 14+ months of age and their feed intake, grade, yield, gain and cost per pound gained. If by looking at a bull in a field at 18 months if you can even come close to guessing those numbers you should be hired by the biggest cattle producers in the world and travel farm to farm and that is all you would do all day and make a fortune. Everything else is just a guess maybe an educated guess but a guess all the same.

Perfectly horrible picture of this bull. Don't know why I'm even posting it. Raised this bull, been threatening to for some time now. He's 8 and 1/2 months old in this pic, took it earlier this week. Been weaned about a month, trying to run him on just grass. Weighed somewhere between 750 and 800, when I stripped him off the cow. Actually had him on the trailer to sell last week, and jumped him back off. Hes a home spun southern balancer. He might should have been cut, but I'm going to let him try his hand at a few this fall. His temperament leaves much to be desired. If he grows wheels, that'll be why. Looks possum backed in the picture after I hit preview. He's got straight wide topline in real life. Might slip over to a PC here in a minute, and see how bad he really looks.

TennesseeTuxedo":1ha4u15m said:
Delete him, not just the picture, the bull himself.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Let me get a better picture of him, before we put the caltrate to him.

:wave: This is one of our senior Limousin bulls...Boot Jack Titan. He is home raised and has proven himself in the show ring and as a sire. I know you guys aren't too fond of the show ring stuff, but these are the only pics of him on my phone at the moment

Latest posts