Striped up.

Help Support CattleToday:

In the Simmental breed, they isolated the "Wild Color Gene" and we can test for it.
In our RED cattle, if they are homo for the gene, you can get the black nose, black eye liner (like mascara), black hooves, and black on the edges of the tail and in the switch. I love the look. It is the same gene that makes the brindle.
The "chocolate" color is the Diluter gene.

In the Simmental breed, they isolated the "Wild Color Gene" and we can test for it.
In our RED cattle, if they are homo for the gene, you can get the black nose, black eye liner (like mascara), black hooves, and black on the edges of the tail and in the switch. I love the look. It is the same gene that makes the brindle.
The "chocolate" color is the Diluter gene.
Reds with black trim are real easy on my eyes.

Thanks for the explanation.

Back when we were using Braunvieh sires, I got these two full-sib daughters of Silverwood Dragon, out of a little Gardens Wave(Angus) daughter, a year apart.
That's interesting. I have a cow family that I regularly keep replacements from that has the redish, some what longer hair on top, and the tint front and rear like that. It's just not near as pronounced. They are heavy boned, stout cows, but not overly big cows. They usually have really good bags and raise good calves for not being all that appealing to the eye, especially when they are young.

It never occurred to me that could be Braunvieh influence. I need to see if I have a pic of one, especially the original cow.

Last edited: