Lucked up[ on these!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Clay ran up on deal! 22 head, 7-10 yr old Plummer cows, with black, polled Chi-Angus calves on them. Early April babies. Heifers are well over 700 lbs, and the steers are gonna weigh 89+. Cows are bred back for late Feb, early March calves, to the same bulls, Dude wanted $1250 a pair! I had to make myself spend a little time trying to get him down to $1200. Didn't want to jump on them as soon as he said $1250. Didn't want him to think " Well, maybe I priced them too cheap!" We going in the morning to get them and keep them at Clay's. We will wean and sell the calves end of Sept, 1st of Oct. Dunno how long we will keep the cows, and how we will sell them: Bred cows a little later on, or pairs or 3 -N-1s next year. Won't really matter. we gonna near double our money when we sell those calves in a few weeks. Clay took some pictures but I think he is banned again. If not, and he didn't take them today I will ask him to take some and post them when we go get them tomorrow.

Got these loaded pretty easily and fairly early yesterday, so we decided to go by the feed lot place Clay works for, and weigh them. Mike and his cowboys were there loading up a couple of semi's with steers to go to Oklahoma, so we unloaded ours into the arena, and helped them load those trucks. 5 &1/2 mos old, and the lightest heifer was 712. Heaviest steer was 803. Mike made us an offer on buying them. $1150 per head for the 10 heifers, $1450 a head for the 12 steers. $28,900, and we had just paid $27,500 for the pairs. I told him we'd do that, and we'd being them back in 3-4 weeks, weaning time. He said "heck, we done started weaning when we cut them out to weigh them! Stay there while I run up to the house and get your money!" So, now we have 22 Plummer cows, bred to Chi-Angus for Feb calving, at $0,000.00 cost per head! We weighed them too, while we had them off the trailers. Lightest cow was 1638 and heaviest was 1800 on the dot. By then it was dinner ( Lunch to you Yankees and city slickers) So I asked Clay if he wanted to go get his shotgun, and go ahead and take these cows down to the Kudzu pasture, and shoot doves that evening. Now that we have zero dollars in them, we have a lot of options. Probably sell these next calves to Mike again, and just do that til each cow ages out to non-breeding age and sell her.

So. we got these 22, the 10 Plummer x Jersy's I bought this week, Zeke's 4 part-Jersies, that Brah/Chianina x Corr steer, and the 3/4 MFB x 1/4 Corr bull calf all over on the Kudzu. All females are bred so won't hurt for that little bull to be in there. They're fixing to take Gail back to Zeeke's house, to get her off the Kudzu before she calves in December. When all the row crops are in, the rest go over on that 450 acres til February. Long as we move them by opening day of quail and rabbit Nov 15th, we are good. Everything is in now except for a field of late beans and the cotton. Scott was cutting the corn yesterday. We always put the 100-120 Corr cows over there every year, and didn't have to feed, so surely those 32 will winter well over there.

Scott called this morning, and was talking about how gentle those half-Jerseys were, The people had used them in petting zoos, even. He said they were every bit as gentle as Zeke's four, maybe more so, He said it ought to be easy to make them into nurse cows. I said if he and Zeke wanted to fool with grafting calves a couple of times a year to 14 cows, to have at it, but count me out! I am retiring...sorta. Plus, wouldn't want to breed them to Brahmas like we are Zeke's four. These are 1/2 Jersey, 1/4 Brahma. 1/8 Longhorn and 1/8 Watusi. You'd want to breed them to Angus and still might get horned calves out of them. I have read enough of @MurraysMutts 's and @farmerjan 's endeavors...and they are two people that know what they are doing with nurse cows.... to know that I don't want to fool with 4, much less 14. Now, if I was truly 100% retired, with no other businesses or projects, and lived on the place, that would be a good thing to keep a person busy and bring in a little income. Get about 20, raise 3 calves each off of them a year. Dunno where you could find 40 beef bottle calves... or even dairy calves around here, though. But, just got off the phone with the boy buying that 3/4 MFB 1/4 Corr bull. He produces bulls for junior rodeo, Lil Britches Rodeo, HS rodeo, etc, and wants to raise bulls that are 1000lbs + or-. I told him they were bred to a Corr bull, and told him he could leave them here plumb up to next Feb if he wanted to, if he bought them now at $500. So he is mailing a check in the morning! I don'tt have any partner to fool with on this deal, so they are SOLD! :)

Last edited:
Plummer???
Plummer is the name of a man that started breeding a line of bucking bulls, using Brahma and Longhorn stock. Just like people who call any black cow an Angus, any black white faced cow a black baldy, some of us are guilty of calling any LX x Brahma a Plummer. These cows are 1/2 LH and 1/2 Brahma.

Luck or clean living ? 🤔 Or is it skill ? Warren does it again !
Pretty sure it wasn't clean living! I used to be a hellion in my younger days. Like 62 and under! LOL It is a combination of timing, being financially prepared to take advantage of opportunities, an understanding of human psychology, and an understanding of cattle and the cattle markets. More important than knowing when and what to buy, is knowing when and what not to buy. The way you learn how to make good decisions in all the factors above, is by making bad decisions. Plus, I have a reputation in the horse world, and it has bled over into the cattle side. I do not lie, cheat, or steal. If I tell you something it is as sure and certain as if God or Moses said it. This is the simplest and easiest attribute to attain. Just be honest and fair! Takes no effort or hard work at all, to treat people like you want them to treat your momma.

Pretty sure it wasn't clean living! I used to be a hellion in my younger days. Like 62 and under! LOL It is a combination of timing, being financially prepared to take advantage of opportunities, an understanding of human psychology, and an understanding of cattle and the cattle markets. More important than knowing when and what to buy, is knowing when and what not to buy. The way you learn how to make good decisions in all the factors above, is by making bad decisions. Plus, I have a reputation in the horse world, and it has bled over into the cattle side. I do not lie, cheat, or steal. If I tell you something it is as sure and certain as if God or Moses said it. This is the simplest and easiest attribute to attain. Just be honest and fair! Takes no effort or hard work at all, to treat people like you want them to treat your momma.
I like this.
I'm not going to steal or cheat anyone, what you wrote here is what I try to live by, and tried to teach my sons the same, I had to correct them in the past, that if they done shady business, they would not succeed.
if someone gives me too much change back I will let them know they made a mistake.
I raised a family, worked hard and it paid off.
I know people that don't have any kids to leave their stuff to, not even a spouse and they are as greedy and selfish as the day is long, I know it's their business, but I don't have to deal with people like that and don't.

I turned 67 this past Saturday, and was feeling sad and old. So, I went down to the Kudzu place to shoot doves for the last time this year, Nothing wams the heart and cheers the soul like thew sound of shotguns! Scott's nephews got in the last of the cotton while we were there, Everything else had already been harvested. So, me and the old lady decided to spend the night, and me and Scott decided to move the cattle off the Kudzu place to the 450- acres of cropland across the road Sunday morning. Scott has 3 very good cow horses...every bit as good as mine.( Well, I did sell then to him years ago:) ) We got up early, and I put my ole lady on one of them. Scott's old lady rode her MFT, and we put Zeke and this big ole black TWH we use for bird hunting. We haltered Gail and the Brah/Chi-Angus/Corriente steer that Zeke has been making a pet of. He has it to where he can sit on it while it laying there chewing his cud, while he sings to it. Lord, Zeke has turned into a Waylon and Conway fan, and spends all day singing their songs. He is actually quite good, too! But that's another story..

Anyway, me,. Scott and Terri rode on to the Kudzu pasture, while Scott's wife and Zeke led those two down there to meet us. Me and Scott were kinda sad, because I think we both realized this was probably our last round up together. He can hardly get on and off, but still rides well once he's in the saddle. The cattle were in back of the 220 acres, of course. We called the man that bought the 3/4 MF bull and those 10 Plummer x Jersy heifers bred to the Corriente, that I sold him,. and told him it was time to come get them....that they were gonna be in our corral, because we were moving every thing across the road. We told him if he didn't want to get them today, they would be in a 450 acre field with no working pens, etc. He said he couldn't right now, and asked Scott if we could just move them with the others on that 450 acres. Scott agreed, but told him when we move everything back in February at the end of quail/rabbit season, they had to get GONE! Zeke's other 3 dairy cows were in there, and those 10 heifers are petting-zoo gentle, so Scott and Terri got those started walking down the fence toward the road where the corral is. I rode drag, herding those Plummer cows, A few had a contrary moment or two, but I was well mounted, and they would give up easy and take off after the other cattle. This was the easiest time we have ever moved a herd over there, with no help but Zeke and the girls! When we got down to the gate, I told Zeke and Scott's wife to just keep on leading Gail and the steer down the road to the fields. Terri and Scott just rode beside the heifers, which followed along behind those 2 as calm as could be. My high-headed Plummers blew and snorted some, but fell right in behind the rest as nice as you please. Brahmas can be as easy to handle as Holstein milk cows at a dairy, if you don't ever get them nervous and excited, and don't get them to running. They all do a lot better working them horse back instead of on foot. They don't seem to get as spooky that way. If you do ever let them go to running, you best be well mounted enough and horseman enough to stop them or rope them or turn them...whatever you were trying to do. If they beat you or get away from you one time, they learn they can do it every time. But, if you thwart their efforts, they seem to learn that it don't work, and may not try it again. Or, they may! :)

When we got to the gate, I told Zeke and Tootie (the nick name I call Scott's wife) , to ride out in the pasture a little way, then jump down and take those halters off Gail and the steer. I was afraid once the Plummers came through the gate, they may take off running. And they did for a little piece. Scott and Terri stood their horses in the road so that they would all go in the gate. and that was that! When we got back to Scott's, we sent Zeke back with some salt blocks in the Gator. 1st of December, they will take Gail back up to the lot at Mattie;s house to calve. Other than that, we are done fooling with cattle til February! From now to then, it is just beagles and bird dogs, gaited horses, and quail and rabbits on my mind!

Plummer is the name of a man that started breeding a line of bucking bulls, using Brahma and Longhorn stock. Just like people who call any black cow an Angus, any black white faced cow a black baldy, some of us are guilty of calling any LX x Brahma a Plummer. These cows are 1/2 LH and 1/2 Brahma.
Thanks for info. I tried searching the internet, no luck, so I searched Plummer on the threads and found this this, Plummer problem solved. I guess I'm stupid smart. Lol

Thanks for info. I tried searching the internet, no luck, so I searched Plummer on the threads and found this this, Plummer problem solved. I guess I'm stupid smart. Lol
Charlie Plummer used some White Park blood in with his Brah/LH crosses. He said because they added size and aggressiveness. Lots of bucking bulls you see will be white or mostly white, with black noses and points. Other breeders incorporated Charolais with their LH/Bra crosses. The Char influence brought a lot of athleticism to the ABBI bulls. I have seen them more than once, jump up higher than the men in the ring's heads, and do a 180 in the air. Saw one this year do a 360.

Charlie Plummer used some White Park blood in with his Brah/LH crosses. He said because they added size and aggressiveness. Lots of bucking bulls you see will be white or mostly white, with black noses and points. Other breeders incorporated Charolais with their LH/Bra crosses. The Char influence brought a lot of athleticism to the ABBI bulls. I have seen them more than once, jump up higher than the men in the ring's heads, and do a 180 in the air. Saw one this year do a 360.
Do you know what breed air time was?

Do you know what breed air time was?
He is registered with American Bucking Bull Inc. Dunno how to find out what al was in hjs makeup, if either parent was also ABBI. KInda like Beefmaster..a 50% Brahma, 25% herf, and 25% shorthorn cross. Any registered today, will have had any of the foundation's breeds long gone from its papers. It is obvious he is Brah x Longhorn, and with White Park in his bloodline. He has the black nose and points. Don't necessarily mean he is a LH/Brahma/ White Park mix. A lot of LHJ have those WP black points as well.

Latest posts