Thoughts on these bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

What are your thoughts on these bulls? Born 8/21, registrable beefmaster, wouldn't be used until 6/23. I will only be using them on about 5 head and I can buy them for around $1100
I expect bulls of any breed to look like bulls. You don't see any crest at all on these animals. Pass on them

Seven year old bull... while some ol' boys can keep going into their teens, the vast majority - IF they make it to seven - start having a fairly precipitous descent into infertility starting at about seven. That dumpy little PH bull may be a good one, but he's likely past his prime. You pays your money and takes your chances...

Agree, the brockle-faced BM bull has a better sheath, and would be my pick of the two BM bulls offered up.

The goal is to get the cows bred back in June... the 7 yr old would do the trick, he is a nice long bodied bull.... short legs will not affect the freezer beef you are selling. If you can buy him for less than the young bulls, he will make you back your money in the fall as a kill bull and have more weight to sell since he will only be servicing a half dozen cows. If the place he is now has used him for this long he should be good to go. It is not like you want him to be the start of a foundation of a fancy herd. Herefords have good thick muscling/MEAT..... to me it is a no brainer; if there is nothing else wrong with him.... he will put more meat on the calves , and they will probably finish SOONER...
Kill bulls here are running over $1.00 lb.... and if he is a little older, he will get the job done without letting the hormones have him pacing fences wanting to go gallivanting as a young bull often does... You are only going to use him for 60 days or so....

With no consistency in your cows, and beefmaster being one of the least consistently "typy" beef breeds, you may be getting a hodgepodge of different looking calves.

But otherwise, as mentioned by others, the red one has a lot of sheath. The brockle faced one looks more masculine and meaty in the front and the red looks more meaty in the rear... but it's hard to really tell from the pics which is the better bull. It may be the way the red one is standing that makes it's rear look better.
The Hereford bull does look short. It also makes him look long, which is good. If he's seven and serviced cows for five years without injury he might be the best choice.
Personally I wouldn't buy a bull to service five cows. Synchronize them and breed all of them at the same time and done. This way you get to choose a specific bull to complement the individual cow, but you can breed them all within a specific breed for more consistency. Sell anything that didn't breed or call the AI tech back to do it again. If one doesn't breed by then, sale barn her.
Several mentioned the young bull on the left having too much sheath, but no one mentioned his short scrotum.

Me and a neighbor ended up going in halves on this bull, he needed one to breed some heifers and I only had the few cows and we knew the person selling him. He sold him due to saving heifers, he's 6 years old and believe or not is registered Hereford, never seen a Hereford with those markings on his face. Gave $1600 for him so $800 my half.

Attachments

• 8A9F8C4E-9BBF-4C4D-A469-085C25B69B88.jpeg
    8A9F8C4E-9BBF-4C4D-A469-085C25B69B88.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 29
  • FDC3603E-2401-4024-BC76-14BB646B6F37.jpeg
    FDC3603E-2401-4024-BC76-14BB646B6F37.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 29
Me and a neighbor ended up going in halves on this bull, he needed one to breed some heifers and I only had the few cows and we knew the person selling him. He sold him due to saving heifers, he's 6 years old and believe or not is registered Hereford, never seen a Hereford with those markings on his face. Gave $1600 for him so $800 my half.
Herefords have been breeding for more color on the face, particularly around the eyes. I'd say the price was right on the bull.

Herefords have been breeding for more color on the face, particularly around the eyes. I'd say the price was right on the bull.
Knowing where he came from and his history is worth alot to me. Our thought were with solid colored cows he should throw brockle faced calves instead of white faces and hopefully color around the eyes.

Latest posts