Thoughts on these bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on these bulls? Born 8/21, registrable beefmaster, wouldn't be used until 6/23. I will only be using them on about 5 head and I can buy them for around $1100

Attachments

• BEAA3F48-117B-4496-AF86-5FFCB071BE54.jpeg
    BEAA3F48-117B-4496-AF86-5FFCB071BE54.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 92
  • 7F65B175-CE9A-42BF-BB3A-B808BAF29F77.jpeg
    7F65B175-CE9A-42BF-BB3A-B808BAF29F77.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 93
1. That's $1,100 each, right? Just checking, because $1,100 for two bulls of any breed would be a buy.

2. What are they being bred to? Is this a special project, like an experiment?

3. Do you have anything else they can poke? They might get a little wanderlusty with only 5 girls, they're young.

They look pretty good.

The first one has too much sheath and both have too much excess leather up front. Just my 2 cents!!!
I guess you can tell I'm not a fan of Beefmasters. I recall you sell freezer beef so I would recommend that you stay away from any brahma crosses like Beefmaster because they will negatively affect tenderness.

Additional factors affecting meat tenderness
1. Breed type
Bos indicus (Brahman, Sahiwal, etc.) breeds tend to be tougher than Bos taurus breeds (Angus, Hereford, etc.). Bos indicus has greater amounts of calpastatin, a protein that interferes with postmortem degradation of muscle.

Reference:

The first one has too much sheath and both have too much excess leather up front. Just my 2 cents!!!
I guess you can tell I'm not a fan of Beefmasters. I recall you sell freezer beef so I would recommend that you stay away from any brahma crosses like Beefmaster because they will negatively affect tenderness.

1. Breed type
Bos indicus (Brahman, Sahiwal, etc.) breeds tend to be tougher than Bos taurus breeds (Angus, Hereford, etc.). Bos indicus has greater amounts of calpastatin, a protein that interferes with postmortem degradation of muscle.

Reference:
I think these are for some kind of project, I have a feeling.

I like Beefmasters, and pretty much any mainstream Brahman crosses.
I would be concerned about the first solid red one. I bought a Beefmaster bull a few years ago that had a sheath like that, and he got injured apparently on his first try, and had to sell him for half what I paid for him.
The second brockle face bull looks good to me.
I've always heard people say Brahman and Brahman cross beef was not good quality, but they were all Angus breeders so they may be just parroting some line.
We processed a Hereford sired steer from a Hereford x Beefmaster, ( very little Brahman influence). It turned out great, kind of contradicted those that I'd heard say no percentage of Brahman would ever marble.

There are two types of Beefmasters. and the Lasater family originated the breed out of Shorthorn, Brahma and Hereford. They were beefy and tight skinned, milky and raised big calves. Lasaters required Beefmasters to work for the environment they're in. So ranches in the heat and humidity of gulf coast bred for baggy skin so they could have increased surface area to cool themselves. But they kind of went overboard with the looseness and produced overly sheathy bulls and cows that had frequent prolapses. So the Lasater types that do well in the northern areas, those breeders split off and made the Foundation Beefmaster Association in the late 80s or early 90s a separate registry. That is what my husband raised. They were big animals. I remember driving one night by some cattle resting on the ranch road and this bull- it seemed like I was driving and still driving past this bull because it was like driving past a freight car. My husband said Beefmasters were getting so big their steaks don't fit the grocery shelfs so he bred them smaller. I think since then it has become one registry again but these two types remain.

Last edited:
1. That's $1,100 each, right? Just checking, because $1,100 for two bulls of any breed would be a buy.

2. What are they being bred to? Is this a special project, like an experiment?

3. Do you have anything else they can poke? They might get a little wanderlusty with only 5 girls, they're young.

They look pretty good.
$1100 each, breeding to a hodgepodge of whatever kinda cows I get gathered up. More than likely would eventually save heifers from the cross though. Will only have 5 or 6 this year for one to breed, which is why I'm trying to find a quality bull for a cheaper price, can't spring for a $3000 bull to breed 5 or 6.

Last edited:
I like Beefmasters, and pretty much any mainstream Brahman crosses.
I would be concerned about the first solid red one. I bought a Beefmaster bull a few years ago that had a sheath like that, and he got injured apparently on his first try, and had to sell him for half what I paid for him.
The second brockle face bull looks good to me.
I've always heard people say Brahman and Brahman cross beef was not good quality, but they were all Angus breeders so they may be just parroting some line.
We processed a Hereford sired steer from a Hereford x Beefmaster, ( very little Brahman influence). It turned out great, kind of contradicted those that I'd heard say no percentage of Brahman would ever marble.
I've finished out steers that looked to be 1/4 Brahman and they finished fine.

$1100 each, breeding to a hodgepodge of whatever kinda cows I get gathered up. More than likely would eventually save heifers from the cross though. Will only have 5 or 6 this year for one to breed, which is why I'm trying to find a quality bull for a cheaper price, can't spring for a $3000 bull to breed 5 or 6.
Well, hell, if it works for what you wanna do then they can't be any worse than anything else. The second one does look better.

I also ran across this one in my price range, he's seven but he's pretty short, looks to be about 48" tall next to that panel and gate but he's long bodied. I'd be concerned about back injuries with him with him being shorter and trying to breed something taller than him.

Attachments

• DFBA0E83-D12D-43C8-BBA1-611740E1D3CD.png
    DFBA0E83-D12D-43C8-BBA1-611740E1D3CD.png
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • 10C0F5AE-1DBC-45E3-AB22-5016DBC66FE4.png
    10C0F5AE-1DBC-45E3-AB22-5016DBC66FE4.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 24

1. Breed type

Reference:
Yes, I finish all of mine for freezer beef.

My husband says he's is a nice Hereford bull, good stretch, good muscling and nice masculine head and neck.
My 0.2 cents- I would not want to use him as a heifer bull, depending on what kind of heifers or course. Also, is he post legged? Can't really tell by the way they've got him standing.

Aren't most gate panels 5'?

Last edited:
With no consistency in your cows, and beefmaster being one of the least consistently "typy" beef breeds, you may be getting a hodgepodge of different looking calves.

But otherwise, as mentioned by others, the red one has a lot of sheath. The brockle faced one looks more masculine and meaty in the front and the red looks more meaty in the rear... but it's hard to really tell from the pics which is the better bull. It may be the way the red one is standing that makes it's rear look better.
The Hereford bull does look short. It also makes him look long, which is good. If he's seven and serviced cows for five years without injury he might be the best choice.
Personally I wouldn't buy a bull to service five cows. Synchronize them and breed all of them at the same time and done. This way you get to choose a specific bull to complement the individual cow, but you can breed them all within a specific breed for more consistency. Sell anything that didn't breed or call the AI tech back to do it again. If one doesn't breed by then, sale barn her.

I also ran across this one in my price range, he's seven but he's pretty short, looks to be about 48" tall next to that panel and gate but he's long bodied. I'd be concerned about back injuries with him with him being shorter and trying to breed something taller than him.
If he cost the same as the others he is worth more than that as a slaughter bull.

My husband says he's is a nice Hereford bull, good stretch, good muscling and nice masculine head and neck.
My 0.2 cents- I would not want to use him as a heifer bull, depending on what kind of heifers or course. Also, is he post legged? Can't really tell by the way they've got him standing.

Aren't most gate panels 5'?
Yes, most gates are 5', I was going more by that welded wire panel behind the gate, they are I believe 50" tall and he's shorter than the panel but they could have the panel raised up off the ground some so he could be a little taller than I'm thinking. The guy said he's short but he wasn't sure about height. I think the way he's standing in the one picture makes him look post legged.

That Hereford bull looks long and thick. I'd be a little concerned about his age. He may be fine, for a while longer, but I'd watch him walk around and ask some questions before I made any deals for him.
Another thing is that I've found out is you have to be careful with Herefords, they are a lot of times breeding for the show ring and have them too short. Even if they are thick made and look good calves may not have as much grow and could cost you pound wise when selling, especially when finishing out. They get to point of just putting on fat quicker than a calf with more frame.

Latest posts