Striped up.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
How does this color pattern poke its head out of the wood pile. I would like to understand.

Had 3 of them this year, havent had any before. All out of charolais cross dams. Black Angus daddy raised by my neighbor. It's possible he has a tiny bit of charolais blood from many generations back.

Kenny said its probably some dairy influence. These mommas could have a tiny bit in there, not really sure.

This heifer calf is out of a first calver. Around 5 ish months old.

Attachments

• 20231221_172412.jpg
    20231221_172412.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231221_172400.jpg
    20231221_172400.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 21
Good looking pair, real nice calf. Looks like heifer calf that's a good thing, she should make a good cow. Steers on the other hand will get docked.
With crosses of unknown backgrounds anything can crop up. Not a knock on the cattle, it just happens. We have it too.
I've got a cow like that heifer she had a bull( steer ) calf in the spring, that looks pretty much just like her. I held him back to fatten for a beef.
My brindle cow lots of times has calves that look like that calf, once she had a black calf that has some red striping, it's more noticeable in the summer after she slicks off.

That is interesting. I would have thought red in the background, like Red Angus, but I would have thought the Black would cover it. Unless, the bull has a little some thing in the background being home raised? Other option is the cow has Brahman, LH, etc type breed in the background that does its own thing some times.

Hope some one else chimes on. I'm not sure how dairy playes. Maybe a Jersey type cow would do that also? It will be interesting to see how they sell.

Good looking pair, real nice calf. Looks like heifer calf that's a good thing, she should make a good cow. Steers on the other hand will get docked.
With crosses of unknown backgrounds anything can crop up. Not a knock on the cattle, it just happens. We have it too.
I've got a cow like that heifer she had a bull( steer ) calf in the spring, that looks pretty much just like her. I held him back to fatten for a beef.
My brindle cow lots of times has calves that look like that calf, once she had a black calf that has some red striping, it's more noticeable in the summer after she slicks off.
I'll be the first to say that my cattle are a hodge podge of everything. Lol. Got some Charolais, Limousin, Gelbveih, Angus, and Simmental that I know of. I suspect my Papaws cattle have trace amounts of dairy in them, but can't guarantee it. I'm after a certain body type moreso than color. This Simme bull ought to fix the calves color to all black going forward... if I understand the homo black thing.

I was looking the calves over this morning after I unrolled a bale. Noticed there are a couple blacks that have some red stripes too. Not nearly as noticeable, but that brings the total up to 5. I'm suspecting the bull is the culprit. The two I noticed this morning are out of red cows.

I definitely plan to keep the girls for replacements, they've got a pretty good build. The striped up boys will likely be kept for beefs.

That is interesting. I would have thought red in the background, like Red Angus, but I would have thought the Black would cover it. Unless, the bull has a little some thing in the background being home raised? Other option is the cow has Brahman, LH, etc type breed in the background that does its own thing some times.

Hope some one else chimes on. I'm not sure how dairy playes. Maybe a Jersey type cow would do that also? It will be interesting to see how they sell.
Due to the probability of being docked, any that aren't heifers worth keeping will go to freezer camp, or sold privately. I'm going to try selling them outside the salebarn this year if I can. Hopefully they don't end up in the Craigslist thread. 😆

'Wild-color' gene is very common in Braunvieh, Brown Swiss, Jerseys, Brahman, Aubrac, etc. There are still some Angus out there that carry the wild color gene, but they've mostly been rooted out.
Cross a wild-color carrier with a red... you'll get brindle, in a significant number of cases. We bred, intentionally, for brindles, back when we were using Braunvieh sires... I inseminated red and known red-carrier cows to Braunvieh sires; others to Shorthorn or Simmental bulls to get heifers like the one pictured.

Attachments

• 20190906_120141.jpg
    20190906_120141.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 6
'Wild-color' gene is very common in Braunvieh, Brown Swiss, Jerseys, Brahman, Aubrac, etc. There are still some Angus out there that carry the wild color gene, but they've mostly been rooted out.
Cross a wild-color carrier with a red... you'll get brindle, in a significant number of cases. We bred, intentionally, for brindles, back when we were using Braunvieh sires... I inseminated red and known red-carrier cows to Braunvieh sires; others to Shorthorn or Simmental bulls to get heifers like the one pictured.

I like that coloration a lot. Yellows and reds are my favorite. I'm becoming a fan of these stripes as far as my enjoyment goes.

I had wondered if that's what the "wild" gene was.

I like that coloration a lot. Yellows and reds are my favorite. I'm becoming a fan of these stripes as far as my enjoyment goes.

I had wondered if that's what the "wild" gene was.
But its not black so it couldn't be any good.
On Craiglist as odd and have a good sales pitch they might be worth a lot.

I used to have a black simmental bull that threw a bunch of brindle and chocolate colored calves.
Do you think brindle and the chocolate colors are related in some way as far as color genes go? To my understanding the chocolate is a diluted black gene.

I've got few and really like them. Its definitely my favorite cow family. Got a young chocolate bull from that family that might get some action for the last half of the breeding season here. He's eager to see some ladies. Lol. He will go in this week if he's going to...

Attachments

• 20231221_164930.jpg
    20231221_164930.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Do you think brindle and the chocolate colors are related in some way as far as color genes go? To my understanding the chocolate is a diluted black gene.

I've got few and really like them. It's definitely my favorite cow family. Got a young chocolate bull from that family that might get some action for the last half of the breeding season here. He's eager to see some ladies. Lol. He will go in this week if he's going to...
Chocolate maybe isn't the right description. They looked like thisDSC_0199.jpeg

This pattern and brindle are both tied to the wild gene

Last edited:
@RockinRB I can certainly see how they are similar. Interesting color pattern there.

One of the bull calves has that look. Very minimal striping but similar coloration. I think it's came from the bull I used. Will have to ask my neighbor, Mr. Terry Greene, some questions.

Thanks for sharing the picture and info.

Latest posts