Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch":331z8ucg said:
Great looking bulls southernblues. That Angus bull in particular looks really nice.

Thank you. He's an AI bull I bought as a yearling. Out of Rito 6EM3. Here's a pic of his daughters that I've retained - anxious to see how they do as we've bred them to a Frontman son. Also another rear pic of him.

I've bough 35 replacement heifers that I plan to AI -- I will be doing them myself and since it's my first season to AI I don't plan to buy $25-35 semen to practice on so we are going to collect our Rito bull.

So here is an update on our herd bull, 1st picture is right before he was turned out as a yearling in 2015 and the other 2 pictures is how he looked this fall after his 2nd year working the pasture. Not the best shots of him, wish I had the talent to get better angles like some can.

Will share some pictures of our 2016 bulls in a couple months when we take pictures but pretty happy with the group we kept that includes 3 SHF York sons and 2 sons out of this bull. We were really bull heavy in this calf crop which made for some tough decisions when we decided on which bulls made the sale pen.

10958761_862993723735762_6549106549057013455_n.jpg

84b.jpg

84b2.jpg

Bulls I used two years ago.

Bull on top got hurt last year, so he went for slaughter. Walked over the scale at just shy of 2700 lbs, after losing a few hundred lbs. with an injury over the course of a month; so he would have been right around 3000 lbs in this picture.

So I will only have calves off the other two this coming year.

IMG_20150907_185739.jpg

IMG_20160717_091735.jpg

IMG_20160717_091809.jpg

Aaron":1vc3raqf said:
Bulls I used two years ago.

Bull on top got hurt last year, so he went for slaughter. Walked over the scale at just shy of 2700 lbs, after losing a few hundred lbs. with an injury over the course of a month; so he would have been right around 3000 lbs in this picture.

So I will only have calves off the other two this coming year.

IMG_20150907_185739.jpg

IMG_20160717_091735.jpg

IMG_20160717_091809.jpg

Aaron, I wouldnt kick any of them out of my pasture but the second bull seems to have quite a different type than the other two. I dont know Hereford lines at all, but is his breeding different, am I seeing him at a lighter time of year, or is there something different you are utilizing him for in contrast to the other two?

artesianspringsfarm":710btky7 said:
Aaron, I wouldnt kick any of them out of my pasture but the second bull seems to have quite a different type than the other two. I dont know Hereford lines at all, but is his breeding different, am I seeing him at a lighter time of year, or is there something different you are utilizing him for in contrast to the other two?

Top and bottom bull are primarily Canadian breeding.

2nd bull has a good chunk of Line 1 breeding in him - he was used primarily the last 3 years as a heifer bull. Not really the best for heifers as he transmits a wider head in his calves and they are so thick - no great problems but he certainly tested the heifers' limits. Never had as thick of calves off a bull than that particular line. Tremendously easy keepin/easy fleshing - both the bull and his daughters. He was a heifer's first natural calf and she quickly moved up the ranks to become a top donor cow in the herd I bought him from - so I am pretty excited to see his 1st daughters calve out this year.

That pic was from last spring I believe. He is getting to be quite a chunk now that he is approaching 4 years.

Jobulls":nhtkd52f said:
We had a picture taken of another of our Black Hereford herd bulls. Jo Empire Z631.

He appears to be a nice bull in that pic. A big improvement over many Black Herefords I've seen.

Latest posts